G-Mail space

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Newfie

G-Mail space

Post by Newfie » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:43 pm

According to G-Mail, Google's cool e-mail system (of which I am a member), I have about 2.7 GB of space, and they continue to give me more and more each second.

At any given point in time, I only use about 256 KB of their server space. Even if that was my first e-mail account, and if I saved all the e-mail I ever had in my life, I'd still only use about 32 MB (including attachments and spam)

I'm not so sure celebrities would even need 2.7 GB for fan e-mail. Like if Britney Spears had a G-Mail account, and the address was advertised on TV and Britney invited everyone to e-mail her, I doubt even she would come close to 2.7 GB.

Of course I heartily thank Google for providing a massive amount of drive space anyhow...

What do you guys think of massive e-mail space in general (not necessarily only Google)?

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:03 pm

2.7 GBs can be filled up pretty fast if everyone were to send you legit e-mails.

Natan

Post by Natan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:46 pm

When I first read the topic title, I thought that this was about gspace, the firefox extension.

Anyway, I think its great. I'm currently using 638mb of space, which is 23% of the space alotted. And while I got my account pretty early on (less than two months after it was released), this is in no way near the amount of email space I've had previously. If I were to combine everything, I'd get well over 2 gb.

So I'm happy with the space they're giving us, and the way it continues to grow :)
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:53 am

I was one of the original 10000 and I've used up about 200MB for emails to this day.

I also have an automatic backup script that emails me a .zip copy of the db twice a day. Before I deleted some of the older backups, I was getting close to 2GB. In reality, google doesn't expect you to use the space they allow. If everyone maxed out their space allowance, google would have a bit of a problem, I'm sure.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:10 am

I have two GMail accounts and i do not use either, so i cant ever see me reaching my limit :lol: Although i have to say i often send an recieve emails to and from my family containing vids and photos, so i could quite easily use up alot of that space if i used the accounts.

starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:18 am

[quote="Marshalrusty"]I also have an automatic backup script that emails me a .zip copy of the db twice a day/quote]
How do you do this?
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:23 am

Subscribe to phpBB CVS comitts mailing list and you can add 10MB to your account pretty quickly.

Recieve a draft of an important document 1MB.

Send your aunty the latest holiday snaps, saves to outbox, 10MB.

Still having space for your aunty to send you her holiday pics back, priceless.

It all adds up slowly. Everyone is different, but there are people out there who regularly have to archive their Office:Outlook PST files because they reach the 2GB file size limit.

Let's assume that 100 000 britney spears fans sent her a 10 KB e-mail, that's 1000 MB. 10KB is less than 1000 words, a reasonable e-mail. Of course it's not really that simple, you have spam, attachments, shorter e-mails, headers, etc...

Quillz
Name: Joseph

Post by Quillz » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:44 am

The best thing about GMail is that it prompted other services, like Windows Live Mail and Yahoo! Mail, to offer similar storage space. Before GMail, I believe most Hotmail accounts were limited to 2 MB. Now it's 2 GB.

drummachine

Post by drummachine » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:49 am

you can totally fill that space up if you get mp3s or large files sent via email. i run a small record company and bands always send me their mp3s to check out. space fills up fast when you get 10 megs of attachments here and there.

not to mention photoshop or illustrator files! those can get rather large.

Ryan_W

Post by Ryan_W » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:04 am

I don't think many people using Gmail would even be coming close to using up their alloted quota of 2GB+ mailbox size fully, but it's a boon for those who really need a larger capacity mailbox. As mentioned above, other mail service providers have followed suit and started providing larger capacity mailboxes to the users. So it's a win win situation for all.

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:33 pm

On my main account, I've used nearly 200mb. On a secondary account, I've used 687mb. My secondary one is for backups, like Marshalrusty, except I only get one, not two. :wink:
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

Tayuke

Post by Tayuke » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:39 pm

I used to have a gmail account...but then I got ri of it, after I relised I only needed my hotmail account...

but, its still amazing, how they can acually give away that muchspace...I wonder why they do that....

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:57 pm

starfoxtj wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:I also have an automatic backup script that emails me a .zip copy of the db twice a day

How do you do this?

I can't speak for him, but I installed an email script on my server that allows me to send email + binary attachments via cron jobs. The cron job does a backup, and send the email to the designated account.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:32 pm

starfoxtj wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:I also have an automatic backup script that emails me a .zip copy of the db twice a day

How do you do this?

A nifty script. I'll be happy to share.
drathbun wrote: I can't speak for him, but I installed an email script on my server that allows me to send email + binary attachments via cron jobs. The cron job does a backup, and send the email to the designated account.

Yup, exactly :)
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

drummachine

Post by drummachine » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:28 pm

Tayuke wrote: I wonder why they do that....

i thought about that too and thought it had something to do with adwords. the more content you have (more email text) the more ads they can put in there. so if people save their old emails and then go back to them from time to time to read them ads will be there.

Return to “General Discussion”