police hiding with radar guns...is that allowed?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
natsmith87

police hiding with radar guns...is that allowed?

Post by natsmith87 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:51 pm

Hello,

What do you think...today (here in the UK) I was caught for speeding. The police who caught me off to the side of a roundabout, hiding behind a sign with a radar gun. What really bugs me is that 1st, they where totally hidden and there was no sign of speed monitoring at all. 2nd, they where hiding behind a construction sign and with their yellow jackets, they looked just like the road workers. What do you think? Aren't police supposed to be visable when they are doing speed checks?

nat :(

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:32 pm

Don't speed, and you don't have an issue. :-P

To answer your question, the "legality" might vary from one jurisdiction to another. But in Texas troopers will frequently hide just on the other side of an overpass, a hill, around a bend... it's the normal way they do their business. In fact, I've also seen a strategy where one trooper will be out in plain site blasting anything and everything with his radar gun. Once people pass him thinking they're "safe" and they cross the crest of the hill, there's the next trooper waiting to pick people off. :lol:
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

rick`

Post by rick` » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:18 pm

In Queensland, at least - nfi about th rest of Australia. If you get picked up by a mobile radar unit that was not in plain sight, you can get off. Same deal with speed camera units. If the signs aren't up saying they're a speed camera unit, you can also get off. They can't place themself on hills (crest and base - due to obvious inaccurate speed readings), near high powered lines, etc. Anything that'll screw with the radar gun. Essentially, if they don't make their presence known, it's illegal and you can get off if you can prove your case.

As for the UK, sounds like a bit of BL.

Bobble

Re: police hiding with radar guns...is that allowed?

Post by Bobble » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:24 pm

natsmith87 wrote: What really bugs me is that 1st, they caught me breaking the law. 2nd, they caught me breaking the law and I was going so fast that with their yellow jackets, they looked just like the road workers. What do you think? Aren't police supposed to be visable when they are doing speed checks?

You want to know what I think? I hope that when you crash or hit someone because of excessive speed you don't kill them.

SLOW DOWN!

Natan

Post by Natan » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:26 pm

drathbun, I've heard that in Texas, if an emergency vehicle is on the shoulder of the road, the speed limit is automatically lower by 10mph, which is another way they get you. Is that true?

Cops will hide, and if you speed you'll get caught. Plan and simple. If you're really worried invest in a good radar detector (although, here in the US, they're illegal in DC and VA)
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

Drunky

Re: police hiding with radar guns...is that allowed?

Post by Drunky » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:41 pm

Bobble wrote:
natsmith87 wrote:What really bugs me is that 1st, they caught me breaking the law. 2nd, they caught me breaking the law and I was going so fast that with their yellow jackets, they looked just like the road workers. What do you think? Aren't police supposed to be visable when they are doing speed checks?

You want to know what I think? I hope that when you crash or hit someone because of excessive speed you don't kill them.

SLOW DOWN!

You have a higher chance of getting get by a drunk driver than somebody speeding.

James N

Post by James N » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:51 pm

You were speeding. They caught you.

End of.

If you dont speed, you wont get caught. Theres no requirement in UK law to say they are carrying out speed checks in any area. Theres signs teling you the limit. And if there isnt any in a built up area, the lampposts designate the speed limit. Check your highway code

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:03 pm

I do believe that in the UK there has to be a warning of such cameras.
Certainly in the area that I live N.East Lancs just about every stretch of road has such warning signs. As Bobble says - If you keep to the speed limit then you will not have the problem but I dare say that most of us speed at some time every time we are driving. This may not be intentional but simply driving at the same speed as the other traffic.

Not that I approve of folks getting off speeding tickets if they have in fact exceeded the speed limit but there have been several cases recently were folks have gone to court to contest the fact they were speeding and have got away with it if the police failed to.

1) Produce a certificate to show that the measuring device had been recently tested and was accurate.
2) That the police officer had a valid certificate of competency to use the equipment

I think the biggest grumble that folks have with the situation you find yourself in is that they do not target accident blackspots but areas that the road conditions are such that the legal speed limit seems to be too low.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:07 pm

Natan wrote: drathbun, I've heard that in Texas, if an emergency vehicle is on the shoulder of the road, the speed limit is automatically lower by 10mph, which is another way they get you. Is that true?

Nope, it's 20mph. :-) See SB 193 in the following official page from Texas DPS:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_s ... 81903b.htm
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

James N

Post by James N » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:15 pm

Jim_UK wrote: I do believe that in the UK there has to be a warning of such cameras.

I think its 'good practice' not defined in law

Natan

Post by Natan » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:31 pm

drathbun wrote:
Natan wrote:drathbun, I've heard that in Texas, if an emergency vehicle is on the shoulder of the road, the speed limit is automatically lower by 10mph, which is another way they get you. Is that true?

Wow, that just isn't right. My sister lives there, so she's told me about some of their laws. She told me that by the time she remembers her license plate number, they issue her another one because by law, you can't have the same one for 'x' number of years. Crazy stuff.
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:44 pm

I usually switch lanes and drop the 20 mph. Just because you never know what will happen, someone could try to run or something.

I've seen a cop parked in the grass median between to highways behind bushes, catching people as they come over the overpass.

Somewhat relevant to speeding: The Houston police can't chase after you in traffic anymore, due to too many accidents from high speed chases. I don't see why they flee, I mean they'll get caught anyways...
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

James N

Post by James N » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:35 pm

drathbun wrote:
Natan wrote:drathbun, I've heard that in Texas, if an emergency vehicle is on the shoulder of the road, the speed limit is automatically lower by 10mph, which is another way they get you. Is that true?

Sounds great idea to me. If they are on the side of the road, they are there for a reason. Maybe an accident? Slowing is therefore a great idea

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:19 pm

In Virginia you are required by law to get over in the other lane if at all possible. Obviously if someone sits in your blind spot (pet peeve), there's not much you can do, but you are required by law to get over. There's nothing here that says you have to slow down except in a construction zone.

However, there's nothing in Virginia (or the US that I'm aware of) that says police have to be visible. If you speed, you'll get caught. Police use aircraft to monitor speeds as well, they likely aren't going to be visible unless you have a sunroof or something. But then you aren't paying attention to the road.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

tcr2005

Post by tcr2005 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:41 pm

In Ontario speeding is called a Strict Liability offence...meaning...you either are or are not speeding.

They are allowed to sit in blind spots to catch people as it is in the best intrests of the public to deter, prevent and catch speeders.

Return to “General Discussion”