police hiding with radar guns...is that allowed?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Tayuke

Post by Tayuke » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:47 pm

rick` wrote: In Queensland, at least - nfi about th rest of Australia. If you get picked up by a mobile radar unit that was not in plain sight, you can get off. Same deal with speed camera units. If the signs aren't up saying they're a speed camera unit, you can also get off. They can't place themself on hills (crest and base - due to obvious inaccurate speed readings), near high powered lines, etc. Anything that'll screw with the radar gun. Essentially, if they don't make their presence known, it's illegal and you can get off if you can prove your case.

As for the UK, sounds like a bit of BL.

I 2nd thta...the FGovermnet so get so much money off Speeding Fines, and yet, it seems the monye goes to the Pm himslef, to pay for his "Trips"....

BMR777

Post by BMR777 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:59 pm

Around where I live there is this small town, Wayne, that is one big speed trap. The town is about four blocks long and has only one road going through it. The speed limit goes from 45 down to 25. It's not unusual to see at least one cop at the edge of the town and sometimes there will be one at each end of the town. That's the only way that town makes any money, speed trap!

As far as cops go, where I live you speed and you are fair game! It's wabbit season!

BMR777
Is College Right For Me - Resources for the prospective college student.

Can I Afford College? - A helpful guide to affording college.

Are online college classes right for me? - This guide will help you decide!

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:20 pm

I speed and if I get a ticket I'm not going to complain, I have gotten tickets before. I know I was wrong and I move on, I still continue to speed. Anyone who says that they should get off for breaking the law because a cop is just trying to do his job and enforce the law is just useing red tape to justify his own crime.

EDIT: made it a bit nicer to those ppl who feel it is wrong for police to hide ;)

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:23 am

Why woudent they be allowed to do that. Will anyone rob or kill in front of cops? No so thats why u got to hide to catch more and stop them from speeding and end up by killing someone.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

Agent F

Post by Agent F » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:32 am

i recall a news story a few months ago that showed something very interesting to me. sometimes police officers will completely dress as road workers down to placing barricades on the roads. you have to slow down for the construction area and if the "worker" catches you speeding, he radios another officer a bit down the road that will pull you over. they are very tricky, but they are also very effective in catching speedy drivers (including myself :( )

Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:22 am

In BC, there are signs all around stating "Traffic Laws Enforced with Radar", and the RCMP/Municipal/Highway patrol will be out hiding in blind spots waiting.

In some parts of the GVRD (Greater Vancouver Regional District), community police volunteers put up radar guns that display your speed and then there's usually another police vehicle further up that nabs you if you continue to speed should you forget to check how fast you're going.

Police are usually out in full force to check for speeders on holidays. I was nabbed two years ago for goin 50 KM/h in a 30 KM/h zone and got a $200 ticket out of it. Of course, I failed to realise that there were FOUR visibly marked police cruisers and officer standing on the side of the road with their radar guns all pointed at me... hmmm....
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you

Bobble

Re: police hiding with radar guns...is that allowed?

Post by Bobble » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:05 pm

Drunky wrote: You have a higher chance of getting get by a drunk driver than somebody speeding.

Tell that to my two dead friends.

mrsat

Post by mrsat » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:32 pm

This is Dutch way :lol:

in 2003 8 miljon tickets for speeding were sent out!!!! (The Netherlands have 18 miljon citizens)
64 % were tickets up to 10 km/u
32 % <= 20 km/u
4 % > 20 km/u

A lot off people from which the ticket is < 30 euro grumble to the police and goverment but are paying their tickets

Our tip to the rest. Don't accept the ticket. Ask for the picture, claim that you never bin there. Overhere it is not a surprise that because off capacity problems at the justiceoffice that you don't have to pay! It will cost you only one stamp ;-)

Also a way to do is sent a letter asking them to deliver a official paper that the laser is calibrated ...... If not who is saying that the measurement was right????

But honestly speeding is always dangerous and not only for yourself but also for the people in the street! But if you have to drive 30 km/u pffffffff inside the city/village areas(that's new here in Holland) were you easily can drive 50 or more is really also frustrating me....

Nice reading stuf here!!

http://www.speedlabs.com/vascar.html

. Legal Precedent And Judicial Notice Of VASCAR

An analysis of court decisions pertaining to the use of law enforcement speed measurement
devices including VASCAR is to be presented by instructor. Copies of the benchmark
decisions are available to students. This section is not included in “VASCAR Operator” course.
a) California v. Krueger, Pantos, & Payne, case #s 887092, DP 44339, DP 54571-this
decision deals with the necessity of officer training in operation of measurement devices.

b) Honneycutt v. Kentucky, 1996, 408 SW 2d 421-this case deals with the necessity of officers
understanding the physics involved with speed enforcement systems and the necessity
of officer training.

c) New Jersey v. Rubbinaccio, Greene, Maccarone, & Mohammed, 1998, New Jersey
Superior Court-Judge Reginald Stanton ruled on the maximum distances to be used in
measuring speed of suspect vehicles < 400 meters

d) Ohio v. Wilcox, 1874,-deals with officer training

e) Connecticut v. Tomanelli, 216 a 2d, 625, 1996,-necessity of speed measurement systems
daily calibration

f) New York v. Persons, 60 misc, 2d 803, 303 N.Y. 2d 728, 1969-admissibility of VASCAR
speed readings

g) New York v. Rothstein, N.Y., 1 misc, 2d 576, 152, N.Y.S. 2d 757-necessity of calibration
of VASCAR units on a daily basis

h) New York v. Sachs, 1 misc 2d 148, 154, 147 N.Y.S. 2d 801, 807-accuracy of VASCAR

i) New Jersey v. Schmiede, 289 A. 2d 281, 118 NJ Superior 576, 1972-established training
requirements for operation of VASCAR by law enforcement personnel with performance
standards given of “VASCAR readings must be within the actual vehicle speed +/-
2 mph and officer must demonstrate at least 30 clocks within that tolerance.”

j) New York v. Leatherbarrow, 1972, ruled against VASCAR evidence as officer failed to
present his credentials and certification to use VASCAR and estimate speeds to the
court. This resulted in a speeding violation being reversed by the court.

k) New York v. Olsen, 22 N.Y. 2d 230, 292, N.Y.S. 420, 239 N.E. 2d 354, 1968-Verified
visual tracking history evidence by a trained and certified police officer is prima facia evidence of a speeding infraction and by itself sustains a speeding conviction.

i) New Jersey v. Profaci, inadequate training of VASCAR operator dismissed citations.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:54 am

Around here police have to check their radar units before and after each shift, so the chances of you getting off on a radar malfunction are pretty small. Also, police can and will clock you using their speedometer, which has to be calibrated every 6 months if memory serves me correctly.

I can't speak on vascar systems as to my knowledge it isn't used very often in my area.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

rick`

Post by rick` » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:41 pm

That reminds me, we've got a lot of unmarked motorwar patrol cars that roam around with their cruise control set to the limit. And they'll go up and down the motorway and wait for people to shoot past them (easily going 10-15 over), flick on their lights and pull them over. It's a nasty trick, people it's no secret what kind of cars they drive on the motorway :P

It's rare, but I've seen it happen.

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:48 pm

Could be worse, could be chopper enforced like here:
:lol:
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

mrsat

Post by mrsat » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:35 pm

:D LOL :D

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:17 pm

Noxwizard wrote: Could be worse, could be chopper enforced like here:
:lol:
parts of that image don't look real. I've seen that image before, it is on the door of my advisor for Criminal Justice at college.

affilit

Post by affilit » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:48 am

Damn why you stop :?:
Rules
1. drive past them waving :wink:
2. Dump ye car
3. Go the pub.
4. when you get home say ye car was nicked
5. Get off scot free
Lifes Just Great When theres ale involved

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:16 am

affilit wrote: Damn why you stop :?:
Rules
1. drive past them waving :wink:
2. Dump ye car
3. Go the pub.
4. when you get home say ye car was nicked
5. Get off scot free

1. Get felony charges for evading arrest
2. Public intoxication can get you in trouble
3. Lie to the police, you get extra time.

I think that about clears that up. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”