End of the English Language!

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

End of the English Language!

Post by Jim_UK »

"2b,r nt 2b dat iz d Q wthr ts noblr n d mnd 2 sufr d slngs & arowz of outrAjs fortn r 2 tAk armz agnst a C f trblz, & by oposn nd em?"

"The Sun" a UK tabloid daily reports that students are to be allowed to use TEXT-Speak to answer questions in our national exams as long as what they write shows they know the subject.

I for one find this quite appalling and feel that it is yet another nail in the coffin of the English language. Far too often on these boards I have seen text speak used to describe a problem that someone is having and the member trying to help ask them to please write in English. I have even tried to point a user to the International support sites myself when I thought a post was in some other language than English.

Should we accept this sort of thing?
Are the UK exam boards being sensible in allowing the use of text-speak in examinations?
Is this really the beginning of the end for the English language?

Discuss

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

How can anybody think that's a good idea? But then it is being reported in the good old Current Bun so it must be true :)
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

Ever since spell check was created, many people's spelling and grammar skills have greatly decreased. As our technological advances increase, our laziness does too. People shouldn't just know a subject, they should know how to clearly express their knowledge.

What if the teachers started to write like that too? I think it would be difficult for a student to learn something completely new expressed in that form, so the students shouldn't write like that either.
Are the UK exam boards being sensible in allowing the use of text-speak in examinations?

In Texas, every student must pass a state examination test, which consists of 5 parts:Writing, Language, Math, Science, and History. The writing part tests your knowledge of expression while the language part tests your understanding of the subject.

Maybe they should do something similar, instead of a combined test.

I certainly hope we don't have to create a new international support board: Text Speak
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
cbrain

Post by cbrain »

This is just ridiculous. I am very young, but I still think this is daft!
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

cbrain wrote: This is just ridiculous. I am very young, but I still think this is daft!

Please elaborate cbrain.
Do you think it is daft that they are allowing the use of text-speak in examinations or do you think it is daft that we oldies think that standards should be maintained?

Jim
The truth is out there.
cbrain

Post by cbrain »

I think it is daft that text speak is allowed in tests.
Last edited by cbrain on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xamence

Post by Xamence »

I never even knew text language was used in tests and exams. I certainly don't use it.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

Xamence wrote: I never even knew text language was used in tests and exams. I certainly don't use it.

More a case of being overlooked. Once over you were penalised for spelling mistakes and errors in grammar. Now they are letting it go by saying the important thing is " is the response to the question correct"

They are certainly not going to inform students that the use of correct English is a waste of time but are non the less ignoring poorly written responses to questions by not penalising them.

JIm
The truth is out there.
cbrain

Post by cbrain »

I would be be prety daft if an exam marker was looking through an exam and forund:

Question: In the 3 paragraph, what were john and his friends doing? (obviously real exam questions would be alot harder! :P )

Answer: Wl, in da 3 paragrph jn n hs m8s wr stn fire to da tre.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

I'm sorry, what was that first sentence, Jim_UK?

I remember the good old days when teachers put red ink on your paper because you used your instead of you're. Now they are going to allow people to use ur? And no, boys and girls, txt sp4k dunt man t iz shrthnd. First the claim was that such speech didn't affect performance in school. I didn't believe it then. Now kids are doing so poorly they are going to allow them to write like that on a test? Is that what they are saying? Sounds like it to me. No, that just rubs me the wrong way. I expect someone I hire to be able to complete the tasks, including writing coherently. I wouldn't have expected my job to entail writing when I was in high school, but sure enough, I'm writing at times 15 page papers ... for work.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

I have to speak up and say that this policy is absolutely ridiculous if it's true. In my travels here and on the intarweb, I've found that a large percentage of people today can't write very well. No, I'm not talking about writing a novel or some such thing. I'm just talking about writing a clear, cohesive paragraph whether it's for school, work, support, or what ever. And especially kids...now I'm not that old (honest! ;) ) but even I can't always understand someone my age the first time because of the excessive amounts of slang, l33t speak, and sloppy writing. Now I admit I do all of the above occasionally, but I try to do it in moderation and not so much as it would confuse people.

And please don't get me started with text messaging. It's great and I love it, but that combined with IMing (another great invention) has really hurt the English language. Now I'm not anti-technical nor am I bashing anyone that talks like this, but I just have found that using it for too long makes it become part of you. And when it become part of you, you have a hard time shaking it off and it can potentially hurt you in the future like applying for a job because you can't write very well.

My 2 cents. ;)
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.
cbrain

Job Aplications

Post by cbrain »

Hmm, I can imagine job aplications in the near future if this goes on:

Example Job aplication for mobile phone salesmen

All information here is made up

Name: Jny Frow

Address: 1 dnsngtn avnu
Lndn

Why do you think you are good for this job: Wl 1st of al i thnk im gd cos i rly lke mbl phns n i wld prb be gd wit cstmrs as im tlktve prsn.

There is probably alot more to a job aplication but this is just a daft example.
beatme101

Post by beatme101 »

It takes a really stupid person to decide to spell things like "your" as "ur" and " 'cause" as "cuz" and such things like that, but it takes an even less intelligent being ("Your IQ test came back negative!") to allow it on exams. How someone like that rose to a rank that allows them to change the system allowing it on exams is beyond me.

I certainly hope this does not happen here in Canada. I am annoyed enough by people using such spelling as it is.

A TV show I watch often called Daily Planet has begun using the number "2" as the word "to" in some of the things they print on screen. That also irritates me to no end, it's pretty much the same as the other examples I gave above.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Funny you should bring this up now, as I was thinking about something very similar last night.

I'm in graduate school and I am taking an elective in another discipline. Every week, we have a couple of case studies that people talk about, and each student has to come up with an outline for their case study. I am shocked and appalled as each week, people come in and hand out outlines that are full of typo's, spelling errors, grammar mistakes, and more. These people are in graduate school! I know that if I was teaching that class and these outlines were handed in to me, I'd be taking off lots of points just for these mistakes.

If you're going to be in grad school, learn to write. You'll come across a lot smarter.
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."
SAK `

Post by SAK ` »

I don't feel like learning languages that is not English.

$.@.K.
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007

Return to “General Discussion”