So what do you think the future of forums will hold?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
dwhswebhosting

So what do you think the future of forums will hold?

Post by dwhswebhosting » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:16 pm

I'm thinking live cams as your avatar maybe?

Also I think something that updates the forum in real time as you view it so no refresh is needed ect..

Echnaret

Post by Echnaret » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:12 pm

When you mentioned the automatically-refreshing forum, it sounded like you were talking about a message board...

You can have things refresh every couple minutes right now, but I think that if you wanted them to refresh as things are posted, you'd have to use something besides PHP to make it in...
My personal website. Includes the php project I am currently working on, as well as a message board and a guide on 'How to Better Waste Your Time."

phpBB board: http://echnaretspage.com/forum

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:59 pm

#2 can possibly be achieved with AJAX :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:25 am

cherokee red wrote: #2 can possibly be achieved with AJAX :)

I don't really think AJAX will go well in a forum. For one, it isn't searchable by search engines, so a person can't go a google search and find an answer to a question. In that same way, you can't link to a topic. Flash suffers these same problems. So while it might be useful in shoutboxes, possibly whosonline, I'm doubting it'll become an integral part of forums

What I do think will happen is forums will grow to be the centre of a site. If you look at phpBB 3.0, vBulletin 3.6 etc, they're all growing, having more features and becoming more expandable. What I predict is instead of the forum being just an addon, it'll become the backend, with other things like e-commerce, live chat, CMS and all the other things being addons. You can see this happening already - look how many features phpBB 3 has over 2, and think how 3.2, 3.4, 4.0 and beyond will turn out

Echnaret

Post by Echnaret » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:57 am

I'm currently thinking of making a website for one of my message boards. Not adding a message board to the website, but a website to the message board.

I personally prefer message boards being the center of a website. They're much more dynamic, and it also makes it so I don't have to update the website so often if it isn't the center of focus.. ;)
My personal website. Includes the php project I am currently working on, as well as a message board and a guide on 'How to Better Waste Your Time."

phpBB board: http://echnaretspage.com/forum

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:28 am

Echnaret wrote: I'm currently thinking of making a website for one of my message boards. Not adding a message board to the website, but a website to the message board.

That's not really new, there are plenty of folks doing that with phpBB now. :-)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Hades79

Post by Hades79 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:28 am

Anon wrote:
cherokee red wrote:#2 can possibly be achieved with AJAX :)

I don't really think AJAX will go well in a forum. For one, it isn't searchable by search engines, so a person can't go a google search and find an answer to a question. In that same way, you can't link to a topic. Flash suffers these same problems. So while it might be useful in shoutboxes, possibly whosonline, I'm doubting it'll become an integral part of forums

Bull. I hate to say it on these forums, but take a look at vB. Anyways, AJAX is just a technology, and it's up to the programmer which way to use it. For example, the abovementioned thing could actually be built into phpBB2 if somebody has the time to do it, and the forum would still be searchable by google. It's just about the way you use it.
Back from the dead

OriginXT
Location: Silicon Valley Posts: 99999999999999 Brilliant: Duh!

Post by OriginXT » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:01 am

Can't the pages be different for search engines than regular users? We users can get the ajaxed pages and search engines can get the regular easy-navigation HTML pages.

Problem solved :)

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:38 pm

Search engines will evolve over time as well. I'm sure in the future Flash pages will be indexed too.
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:36 pm

For that matter, Web technologies and platform integration develop over time. I long for the day when cobbles and kludges like AJAX are just memories (like pages full of animated GIFs :D ) and Web developers have true APIs into browsing technologies. I think the promise of XML, XSLT, and the like is that stuff like JavaScript will just disappear, and I think we'll all be better off.

In regard to forums especially, maybe the real future is in things like truly portable content.

Erikina

Post by Erikina » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:45 pm

Anon wrote: I don't really think AJAX will go well in a forum. For one, it isn't searchable by search engines, so a person can't go a google search and find an answer to a question. In that same way, you can't link to a topic. Flash suffers these same problems. So while it might be useful in shoutboxes, possibly whosonline, I'm doubting it'll become an integral part of forums

That's not true at all. I developed a site in AJAX* (won't link as it's inappropriate) and I use quite a simple elegant work-around. When ever the user takes an action - record that in the URL. But because you don't want the URL to refresh you simply add a "#" before. In Javascript this is quite simple:

Code: Select all

window.location = "#" + extra_info;
Getting the information back is quite simple:

Code: Select all

var thisURL = document.location.href;
var splitURL = thisURL.split("#");
var after_the_hash = splitURL[1];

*Technically it was SJAX (s for synchronous) - but that's irrelevant.
-Eric Springer

Ryan_W

Post by Ryan_W » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:44 pm

Well, it is being said that SEs can now index flash but some say that they can index flash partially and not completely. If they really do index flash completely, it would be a great news for webmasters.

webhosting.uk.com

Post by webhosting.uk.com » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:26 pm

Yes, Google can now index flash.

As you know, a Flash movie as the index page of a site has always been a major problem with search engine optimization. There's simply no content for the search engines to index.

So when I learned that Google can index the contents of Macromedia Flash movies, I was astonished. It seemed this remarkable discovery had gone virtually unnoticed in the SEO community.

But as you probably know, Google has always been the first to index different types of content: PDF files, .doc files, etc. Google has also made amazing inroads in being able to index dynamic content.

And now they're the first major search engine to index Flash - another significant step forward in the SEO industry.

For more info refer the following link

http://www.searchengineworkshops.com/ar ... flash.html
Web Hosting | Dedicated Server | VPS Hosting | cPanel Hosting
Email : sales @ webhosting.uk.com
Toll Free: 0808-262-0855

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:58 pm

Maybe forums of the future will focus as much on WAI-ARIA as they seem to do on SEO. :D

phpDummie

Post by phpDummie » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:15 am

I have lately been searching for a CMS and a blog to complement the forum. After looking at an gargantuan number of all the offerings out there and realizing that the blog is basically a forum with the author automatically being the admin of only his (sub-)forum and a CMS can be considered a member blog with some fancy layout features and considering the difficulties of integrating the best solutions in each category, I ended up with a wish for a future forum systems: more flexible authorization/permission system and more diverse, modular perhaps, layout features. So that I can mold it onto a blog or CMS or forum or some cross-bread of all three running on the same engine.

Return to “General Discussion”