So what do you think the future of forums will hold?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:47 am

Anon wrote:
cherokee red wrote:#2 can possibly be achieved with AJAX :)

I don't really think AJAX will go well in a forum. For one, it isn't searchable by search engines, so a person can't go a google search and find an answer to a question. In that same way, you can't link to a topic. Flash suffers these same problems. So while it might be useful in shoutboxes, possibly whosonline, I'm doubting it'll become an integral part of forums

What I do think will happen is forums will grow to be the centre of a site. If you look at phpBB 3.0, vBulletin 3.6 etc, they're all growing, having more features and becoming more expandable. What I predict is instead of the forum being just an addon, it'll become the backend, with other things like e-commerce, live chat, CMS and all the other things being addons. You can see this happening already - look how many features phpBB 3 has over 2, and think how 3.2, 3.4, 4.0 and beyond will turn out

If you use a forum and want to create a site using it's user table and sessions, you are already creating your own plugins for it.

Nice thing about forums, is that you can say something as a visitor of the site, like with shoutboxes and such.
But forums are more categorised and I think they will get important for webmasters as there feedback, and to stay in touch with their visitors.

Kigen

Post by Kigen » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:12 am

I think forums will be free and without ads. :P

Anyhow, I figure they might get a little more interactive and support new and upcoming technologies. Such as live webcams for avatars. (p.s., you can already do that if you know how)
- Kigen, the Legendary Lone Marine.
Steamcast Music Directory - Radio Toolbox
Don't go here.

Ryan_W

Post by Ryan_W » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:07 pm

Forums without ads, well I doubt this would happen in the years to come as banner and text ads are a source of income for many of the online forums. Infact I think forum advertising would gain more popularity and importance in the next few years.

bio

Post by bio » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:49 pm

webhosting.uk.com wrote: Yes, Google can now index flash.

Then I'd like to see a forum written in Flex2.

It's perfect for it... data mining, buttons, viewstates, yadda, yadda.... all published in a .swf format.

Hmmm... I'll have to play with that over the weekend :-)

jhecht

Post by jhecht » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:45 pm

Forums will more than likely get more powerful, eventually becoming something of a social network like the ever popular but so horrible coded Myspace, or Xanga when it was big.

I'm presuming you'll see alot more forums using(or attempting to use) AJAX. However there will be many that in this effort suck severely and there will probably be one that does it very right and therefore gains a lot of popularity(phpBB should really start ont hat if phpBB 3 doesn't have it already) due to the fact that it loads generally alot faster than most normal forums and therefore more things can be accomplished inside the forums within the same amount of time it takes to write posts.

And what i hope to happen is that forums get more colorful. Not just bland like they mainly are now. Animations and so on inside the forums themselves would be fun, and i do wish people would lighten up on moderation. Its like power seems to mods think that they can just delete/lock anything they want. If the post is in the wrong place, move it, dont just go "haha, locked". ANd forgive some people, loosen up. People come on forums because they are supposed to be fun for people, if you continually lock users and so on, they get annoyed and lash out(i myself have done this many many times) which is why on my forums i dont get mad if someone puts a post in the wrong place, i just reply to it and move it to where i believe it should be, and hell sometimes i don't even do that.

I just wish forums would be less up-tight.
"If you've done everything right, people will think you've done nothing at all." - Futurama
This quote is also immeasurably true for web developers/designers

delta3

Post by delta3 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:10 pm

jhecht wrote: ... and i do wish people would lighten up on moderation. Its like power seems to mods think that they can just delete/lock anything they want. If the post is in the wrong place, move it, dont just go "haha, locked". ANd forgive some people, loosen up. People come on forums because they are supposed to be fun for people, if you continually lock users and so on, they get annoyed and lash out(i myself have done this many many times) which is why on my forums i dont get mad if someone puts a post in the wrong place, i just reply to it and move it to where i believe it should be, and hell sometimes i don't even do that.

I just wish forums would be less up-tight.

I think that the past and present does indeed reflect a (outmoded) emphasis on control. In the future, we'll see more of an appreciation for expression, idea sharing, creativity, and community.

Right now, forum admins mistakenly believe that control, control, control is the most important thing. But actually what is most important is the mission of any given forum. How to foster the attainment of that mission--whatever it may be--is where the smart thinking will be applied in the future.

The concept of an online discussion forum started out to be an interdependent system of thoughts/expressions in one-to-many and many-to-many flows of information. Sadly, it's degenerated into a control game. However, what the control advocates don't see (because they do not look for it) is the sub-optimization of the discussion forum model. A clue is that so many forums are scrapping for new members....

The most important thing on a discussion forum is not the board software. It's not the moderators. Ain't the admin or the owner. It's the members.

In the future, there will be more appreciation for that. Control is necessary for the spammers and the trashers. They must be kept out. But if your forum keeps those nasties out AND keeps relevant ideas or members out at the same time, then forum long term viability is terribly difficult.

Depends on the mission, of course.

Few forums have a strong and clear mission. Only a tiny number of forums actually spell it out in writing. This deficiency always makes the job of starting/running/growing/marketing a forum harder.

designationlocutus

Post by designationlocutus » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:28 pm

Interesting points brought up there.

I like the idea of Ajax, I was never a fan of Javascript (when CSS replaced the javascript rollover, I celebrated with a cup of coffee!) but have been forced back into it due to work demands! I think the true power of Ajax just comes from simple things and not dependent for the complete functionality of a website.

Sadly running servers cost money so ads in forums will always be about, unless the user pays a subscription fee. But I think in the future forums will be more interactive to meet its purpose of a discussion, being able to embed media inline (similar to YouTube and Google Video) to enhance the discussion.

delta3

Post by delta3 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:50 pm

designationlocutus wrote: But I think in the future forums will be more interactive to meet its purpose of a discussion, being able to embed media inline (similar to YouTube and Google Video) to enhance the discussion.

Nice idea. Yes, indeed, rhetoric is more than just text. Graphics, video and audio could very well enhance and expand a conversation/exchange.

fsw

Post by fsw » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:40 pm

Putting all of these answers together, I think it is safe to say that forum use will grow in the future. Forums are a great place for many things, and I think the general public is starting to catch on a little bit - not just the computer savvy.
Submit your Forum to my Forum Directory for free
http://www.forumdetector.com

Beth

Post by Beth » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:09 pm

The various bbcode mods already allow for users to upload content like videos, and the YouTube/Google video capabilities allow for it as well in a posting.
As for being mobile, there is a mod for that as well.

Interesting discussion, would love to see more ideas!

Here is one thing I have yet to see done-
Posting photos into a post instantly from in the field.
Mobile Online allows us to log-in, read and post from our cell phone.
Now all we need is an instant image tool.
Any ideas?

iyeru42

Post by iyeru42 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:24 pm

Erikina wrote:
Anon wrote:I don't really think AJAX will go well in a forum. For one, it isn't searchable by search engines, so a person can't go a google search and find an answer to a question. In that same way, you can't link to a topic. Flash suffers these same problems. So while it might be useful in shoutboxes, possibly whosonline, I'm doubting it'll become an integral part of forums

That's not true at all. I developed a site in AJAX* (won't link as it's inappropriate) and I use quite a simple elegant work-around. When ever the user takes an action - record that in the URL. But because you don't want the URL to refresh you simply add a "#" before. In Javascript this is quite simple:

Code: Select all

window.location = "#" + extra_info;
Getting the information back is quite simple:

Code: Select all

var thisURL = document.location.href;
var splitURL = thisURL.split("#");
var after_the_hash = splitURL[1];

*Technically it was SJAX (s for synchronous) - but that's irrelevant.

This is why we have the location.hash in javaScript.
My Website | My MOD Requests | Foreign Key Docs (some topics are not requests)
"It's easy to rebel, but it's hard to be recognized."

Risp

Post by Risp » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:21 am

I really don't know. We can but wait :wink:

HVAC Tech Forum

Post by HVAC Tech Forum » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:56 pm

I think the future of forums will be more geared towards voice and video, in addition to text. I also think they will take a bigger role in the professional world. I think companies will look more and more to forum-like software as a business solution. Just my two cents.

Return to “General Discussion”