Saddam Hussein executed

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Kigen

Post by Kigen » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:41 pm

Dogs and things wrote: The U.S governement represented by that innocent lamb is guilty of horrible killings of innocent people all around the world and you believe them to have the right to judge others?

I´m not saying Saddam should or should not have been killed but it´s not acceptable to me this has been done on behalf of a terribly criminal government.

And don´t try tomake me believe you really consider bush as somenone who has nothing to do with all this just because he was asleep and not present in the court. Come on, thinking like that you end up saying saddam was innocwent as well.

Yes, lets blame America. America is the place of all evil. Evil eminates from there. Blah blah blah.
- Kigen, the Legendary Lone Marine.
Steamcast Music Directory - Radio Toolbox
Don't go here.

lurttinen
Translator
Name: Martti Lokka

Post by lurttinen » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:56 pm

Kigen wrote: Yes, lets blame America. America is the place of all evil. Evil eminates from there. Blah blah blah.

Funny you should say that. There was recently a poll in Finland made by a magazine wich asked wich was a biggest threat to world security.

The article is in finnish, but the images say more than a thousand words. ;)
http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2006111 ... 1_uu.shtml

First place is Osama Bin Laden. The leader of al qaeda.
The second place is George W Bush.
Third. Kim Jon-Il

I dont know much, but the worlds police is one of the most unstable element in planet earth and what i have discussed with other non americans.
They tend to feel the same.

What would you expect? They forged the evidence to start a war in iraq and eventually did not found what they were searching. (Chemical weapons)

Not even the Russians top the US threat and we are their neighbours. ;)
there is somethign severly screwed in the america.
Not the poeple, but the management. America is not what it used to be... :(
Signature is here

Ryan_W

Post by Ryan_W » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:18 pm

I suppose it was a fair conviction and saddam ultimately got what he deserved. Although mixed reactions have been coming in from all over the world, but most would say it was a fair judgement for the crimes he commited.

GeorgiePorgie

Post by GeorgiePorgie » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:55 pm

In early November on the day of the sentencing, I posted the following reaction. I still feel the same way now. And yes, I am American...

I'm against having this court execute him.

Do I think he is a murderous scumbag that deserves the worst punishments that a court can apply? Certainly!

Do I believe that the new regime in Iraq, ushered in after a US invasion and propped up by a continued US military presence, is the proper body to dispense true justice? No.

What we've seen so far, with an Iraqi puppet government that operates with US military calling the shots, is not justice. If justice is really important, then lets go out of our way to give him a fair trial at an international tribunal. If convicted by that means, then I'd agree to whatever punishment is handed down.

If revenge is the overriding factor here, as it sure seems to be, then let's not bother with the charade of courts and justice and sentencing. If revenge is what is important then they should have shot him months ago, instead of carrying on with this pretense of justice.

If we want the moral high ground, then we need to let him be tried in the most fair arena that the world has to offer. In my opinion, that fair arena is not in Iraq and it is not in the USA.

Do we lack confidence in our ability to build a case against him before an international tribunal? If not, then why are we hesitant to go forward with that? Is it because the USA leaders badly want a conviction and an execution, rather than a life imprisonment? If that's the case, then where is this justice that we are supposedly seeking?

Whisper2u

Post by Whisper2u » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:16 pm

All great points really.
And the fact he refused to wear a black hood, just makes it apparent he felt no guilt over the crimes he committed. In my opinion, he should have been kept imprisoned. I'm a criminal justice student, but I am very much against the death penalty. And, I don't agree. We can't blame Bush for Saddam's crimes, that's just not right.
As far as lethal injection is concerned, it still ends up the same, and that is that the "guilty party is dead." And lethal injection is really just to allow those who impose the death penalty to believe what they are doing is humane. Doesn't matter how you kill someone, killing is killing. And when you get technical, Saddam imposed horrible pain on his victims, so if you believe in the death penalty, why should he have got off so easily? Just a question.
Huggles, Whisper
"The Dance is in your heart."

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:24 pm

If this life is all there is, Saddam did get off very easy. But if this life is not all there is, then his execution was merely an expedited entry into a more righteous courtroom before an omniscient Judge who is capable of rendering a perfectly just verdict, something no man is capable of doing, especially regarding such crimes as Hussein was convicted guilty of. It is a judgment which awaited regardless, the only differences is, do we expend time and resources harboring him in prison or do we go ahead and let him face the inevitable?

Of course, if you don't believe in an eternity, then I'm speaking nonsense and you're free to ignore me. And if I didn't believe in an eternity, I'd agree with you about Hussein. :)

Whisper2u

Post by Whisper2u » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:36 pm

I believe in an eternity, and I believe in justice.
In my opinion, there is only one person capable of rendering a perfect justice and that indeed is God, but we've taken it among ourselves to use our courts to render justice where we deem appropriate. Either way, Saddam will face another trial, and one he won't merely get out of. So, either way justice will be righteously served.
Huggles, Whisper
Last edited by Whisper2u on Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:39 pm

I took the bold off your last post - perhaps you could read the board rules and do the same to the one above.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

miroworld

Post by miroworld » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:42 pm

I eased opinion:
Even though he was a very very bad man I think hanging him was very wrong. They should show respect and give him the lethal injection like basically everyone who gets the death sentence.

But the biggest mistake was not tried in a military court as a prisoner of war.

Whisper2u

Post by Whisper2u » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:43 pm

Sorry,
I always bold my posts, nothing personal or no point I'm trying to make really.
Didn't realize you weren't allowed to do this.
I've fixed it.
Huggles, Whisper

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:55 pm

Viper07 wrote: In the eyes of his followers, he's entering the realm of martyrdom. I would sooner see the evil b4stard left to rot in a cell somewhere until he is old, weak and frail.

the problem is if they imprisoned him, his supporters would kidnap more westerners and kill more civilians in an effort to get him free.

jhecht

Post by jhecht » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:35 pm

Ok. i am probably a bit late, i dont know when this topic started, but here is what i think, and yes, i am an American:

1) Bush is an idiot. And was this entire war which has f***ed this entire coutnry over for a complete and all in all stupid thing which makes the word RETARDED seem like it has some intelligence and mind behind it, yes. I am not for this war, i am not for Bush, and i am not for the fact he's still in office after all of this. Bill Clinton was a wonderful president, and we tried to impeach him, Bush is a horrible president, and no one does ish. Make sense to you, cuz it befuddles me.

2)Sadam Insane was cruel, cold hearted, and deserved whatever kind of punishment he could receive. He would take prisoner's children and torture THEM in front of their parents so that their parents would give in. If you hold no respect for the humanity and life of others then others should thusly hold no respect for your life. I would love to see him rot in a cage at the bottom of the ocean, but whoever said it was right, people would try to free him by killing "More American Infidels" until he was released. And lethal injections are no nicer than any other form of death. Its been provin that people who receieve lethal injections are in excrutiating amounts of pain, but because they are given a shot to sieze up all muscle control, they can't scream to let us know that the ish hurts.

3) someone, i believe they were from spain, said that America should not be handing down judgements. Sorry to tell you this buddy but EVERYWHERE is corrupted, so by your logic no one should ever judge another in a court of law. Even spain has its fault(if you want to critiicize the country of another be prepared for someone to criticize your own), so I'd much rather you not make presumptions about where i come from, because i don't make them about where you come from. If America is so criminal then why did so many people who were born in Spain come here? Because yeah, we are human, and yeah we do have faults, and yes, there are always a few bad apples that just screw it up for everyone, but at least we TRY(IED) to do it fairly. Spain killed many innocent people too, why do you think Mexico, Central America, and South America all mainly speak spanish? give you a hint: it wasn't England. Do i agree with whoever you are that america is going down the tubes? YES. In fact i plan on moving to Japan when i turn 18 cuz this country is boned every which way from Tuesday.

4) All in all, I don't much care that he's dead, and that he was hung. I just think alot more people should have died along side of him.

There is balance, theoritcally. If someone or thing gathers the darkness then we are left with light, if someone gathers the light then we are left in shadows. We enter a dark age now where the light has been gathered and used, and now whilest we lay in the shadows we must start forging the light to lead us to a better era.

Don't ask me where thats from, you won't believe me, but think about it.
"If you've done everything right, people will think you've done nothing at all." - Futurama
This quote is also immeasurably true for web developers/designers

-jm-
Former Team Member

Post by -jm- » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:44 pm

Well, the trial has been as fair as possible in that situation. Some lawyers were murdered, some prosecutors where killed during the first trial.
We cannot hide to ourselves that a country ruled by Shiite and Curdish people shouldn't be the fairest arena to do such trial about massacres against Shiite and Curdish themselves :P .

But there's a legal trouble against taking him to an international court.
Every prisoner has his so called 'natural judge'. Saddam was found guilty of genocide ... tortures, executions without trial, people deportation in a Shiite village. So he committed the crime in Iraq, against Iraqi people and then his own judge was the court of Baghdad.

Then we can discuss about the treatment a former President deserves for his own actions while he was President, about what was the Iraqi law at the moment of the crime, if the maximum penalty was death penalty (removed by Bremer and restored by the first Iraqi government) or not.

About the way he was executed ... all was managed to give him an instant death (the rope on his left shoulder and other minor things). Usually dictators don't like to give an instant death to their prisoners :) .

(btw he's the first dictator to be convicted and hanged after a two-step trial ... all other dictators were directly killed/committed suicide/were allowed to go elsewhere/were protected by special laws/were too old to see the end of their trial).
-jm- (a.k.a. juanm) - *NO* private support
Hacked?
With so many beautiful colors in the world it’s a shame to make everything black and white - Dennis R. Little
my links: tips&stuff :: stuff only

SAK `

Post by SAK ` » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:03 am

Okay, I was watching a glimpse of Hussein's execution on TV last night before I went to bed. The next thing I was thinking about: Will that finally END the War on Terrorism? Or is there still more fighting to do?

I mean, I know Bush wanted Saddam from the get-go after 9/11 and he continues to have troops seek and capture Osama, but the longer this war goes on, the more I keep guessing. :cry:

$.@.K.
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007

Caedmon
Former Team Member
Name: Charles Flanders

Post by Caedmon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:22 am

SAK ` wrote: Okay, I was watching a glimpse of Hussein's execution on TV last night before I went to bed. The next thing I was thinking about: Will that finally END the War on Terrorism? Or is there still more fighting to do?

I mean, I know Bush wanted Saddam from the get-go after 9/11 and he continues to have troops seek and capture Osama, but the longer this war goes on, the more I keep guessing. :cry:

$.@.K.

With Osama Bin Laden and Al-Qaida still running roughshod over the place, there will probably still be a war on terrorism. Bush will always find a reason to fight.. Right or wrong.
Former Moderator Team Member 2004 - 2012

Return to “General Discussion”