Rewarded For Violating the Law

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
delta3

Rewarded For Violating the Law

Post by delta3 »

This is a good example of good news.

I think this story exemplifies smart, decisive, and valorous action by an ordinary citizen:

"Wesley Autrey, 50, jumped on to the subway tracks at a station in Manhattan's Harlem neighborhood on Tuesday to help Cameron Hollopeter, who had suffered a seizure and fallen."

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/latest/20 ... y_superman

I like good news. I like heroism. Give the man a good cigar.

We should be ready for our chance at heroism if it ever comes.
Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus »

It is a very uplifting story (there was another one in New York where a man caught a kid who'd fallen off a fire escape, but I don't have a link as I heard it on the radio).

Good to see that there are still good people out there. :)

Your subject is a bit misleading though... as I don't see how what Mr. Autrey did violated the law.
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you
Nemesiszar

Post by Nemesiszar »

What an incredible man, I’m glad when I see stories like this one when somebody endangers their life for the sake of another person. If everybody were like that this world would have somewhat of a chance. But that wouldn’t be life would it? Lol, it’s a perfect example of the classic ‘boss’ not believing the tail and what had happened. I also don’t understand where the ‘violated the law’ bit comes in, just like Nephrus said it’s a bit misleading. So if you could explain that part it would be great. I expected this thread due to its title to be about someone violating the law. Anyway it’s a brilliant story and that man deserves a medal =P

~Nemesiszar.
Haha, I hate you.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

Nemesiszar wrote: I also don’t understand where the ‘violated the law’ bit comes in, just like Nephrus said it’s a bit misleading.

You mean there is no law that says that ordinary citizens can't walk on the railway tracks?
I hope there is. :lol:

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
Nemesiszar

Post by Nemesiszar »

Jim_UK wrote:
Nemesiszar wrote:I also don’t understand where the ‘violated the law’ bit comes in, just like Nephrus said it’s a bit misleading.

You mean there is no law that says that ordinary citizens can't walk on the railway tracks?

Jim

Well there is, it’s my public footpath down my street, across the road and downtown. Get it right, I thought you were supposed to be a moderator. Usually means a highly superior being. Ah heck with it I didn’t read it right O.o Why are moderators always right? Well most of them xDDDD Anyways sure there are no rules for that right? So did the dude then get arrested for nearly dying and then the guy who saved him he must have been breaking the law to, that meant he also had to go onto the track. Argh ‘teh’ noies! That’s confusing. May the author of the thread please stand up and send some more information!

~Nemesiszar.
Haha, I hate you.
UseLess

Post by UseLess »

Greetings,

After a little 'Googling' the original poster means this;
Section 1050.9

Restricted areas and activities.

No person, except as specifically authorized by the Authority, shall enter or attempt to enter into any area not open to the public, including but not limited to train operator's cabs, conductor's cabs, bus operator's seat location, station booths, closed-off areas, mechanical or equipment rooms, concession stands, storage areas, interior rooms, catwalks, emergency stairways (except in cases of an emergency), tracks, roadbeds, tunnels, plants, shops, barns, train yards, garages, depots or any area marked with a sign restricting access or indicating a dangerous environment.

Therefore a member of the general public is not allowed onto the tracks...

Taken from: http://mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm
Movie Quote:
It's not the years honey, it's the mileage...
phpBB 3 Mods @ phpBBStyles
delta3

Post by delta3 »

Very useful info, U.

Of course regular persons cannot go on the tracks. They have not the status, it is a VIOLATION and calls for banning, a snippy/vague comment and closing of the scene and deleting the public record of the incident. (A cross-referenced copy should be retained for control purposes, of course.)

If one rewards violations with money, tickets and free rides, what will we have?

Lack of ORDER!

This behaviour must be nipped, nipped, I say, in the bud.
Ska4Christ

Post by Ska4Christ »

delta3 wrote: Very useful info, U.

Of course regular persons cannot go on the tracks. They have not the status, it is a VIOLATION and calls for banning, a snippy/vague comment and closing of the scene and deleting the public record of the incident. (A cross-referenced copy should be retained for control purposes, of course.)

If one rewards violations with money, tickets and free rides, what will we have?

Lack of ORDER!

This behaviour must be nipped, nipped, I say, in the bud.

Yes, if only we could Moderate the world... :D

============

The actual story, yeah, that's really cool that he did that. The train actually went over them?! Beyond anything that one would expect. I guess that's why we call him a hero.
Grace and Peace,
Todd 8-)

“Fight like a man, scriptures in hand!” – The O.C. Supertones
OriginXT
Location: Silicon Valley Posts: 99999999999999 Brilliant: Duh!

Post by OriginXT »

That was a quick judgment by that man between breaking the code of the law but upholding the spirit of the law. Heroism at its best.
Kigen

Post by Kigen »

The law values human lives more than simple regulations. :)
- Kigen, the Legendary Lone Marine.
Steamcast Music Directory - Radio Toolbox
Don't go here.
OneLung

Post by OneLung »

Jim_UK wrote:
Nemesiszar wrote:I also don’t understand where the ‘violated the law’ bit comes in, just like Nephrus said it’s a bit misleading.

Jim

Well, any reasonable person may consider "walking on the tracks" as an attempt at Suicide. Any yes, suicide is against the law. But to my knowledge, no one has ever been sucessfully prosecuted for committing suicide. :)

Return to “General Discussion”