Apple re-invent the phone

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Apple re-invent the phone

Post by KevC »

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

As if the iPod and world domination of portable mp3 players wasn't enough, Apple have now announced the iPhone.

A mobile phone with no buttons! It's all touch screen.

Neat, but I bet it'll be scratched to buggery in a pocket or handbag within days.

It does phone calls, has a camera, does the internet, plays video, does iTunes. Do people really need all this stuff on phones?

I have a phone to make phone calls and send text messages. I've got lots of friends with camera phones but none of them use the camera bit. I've never felt the need to watch a TV show, music video or DVD on my phone. I've never needed to access the internet on my phone either.

Although this new technology is very clever, is it adding anything useful to what is basically a phone?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
beatme101

Post by beatme101 »

Lawsuit anyone?
iPhone launched... but not by Apple

I'm not a fan of Apple.
Firestorm_Hellkite_

Post by Firestorm_Hellkite_ »

Well, in all fairness, there is still a large number of people who chose not to use the latest and greatest gadgets available. Working for Cingular myself, this phone is just another in a line of phones that allow people to be mobile offices and other goodies. The fact that its with Apple.. well we have iTunes players in several of our phones already, and so this was to be expected. So you ask, who might use this phone? Those people that want to be "in" style, college students, and just your average person that loves to have a music player.
"Wherein there lieth smoke, so too shall there be fire, and that fire shall grow, and consume us all."
Mega Forums - Home Of Multiple Forums
Phpbb Help
For Sale PhpBB-Mods.com
Tic Tac Toe Mod
skarabbit

Post by skarabbit »

as soon as the price drops... i would have one!
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

Kevin, you've got to admit though . . . that phone is Super Swank :lol:
*edit* just checked out the maps section and it's pretty impressive.
Once you find a place say like starbucks, you can get the number from the map and call it 8O
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
Gurv720

Post by Gurv720 »

I just heard about this today, I am gonna get it. It has caught my eye :)
Gurv720
Thatbitextra
Former Team Member
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra »

Ooh, nice. But it'll need a screen protector stuck on as soon as it gets out of the box ;)
Styles KB
My MODs: Choose Who to Accept PMs From (Prevents unwanted PMs!) | Warn of Old Topic Before Posting Reply
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)
who_cares

Post by who_cares »

I would use one if it was small enough to keep in my pocket.

That looks nice just because it has a big screen on it, I can't stand when companies crunch the screen size to make their new PDA the size of a credit card
Thatbitextra
Former Team Member
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra »

It's 5mm taller than a 30GB iPod Video, same width and thickness.
Styles KB
My MODs: Choose Who to Accept PMs From (Prevents unwanted PMs!) | Warn of Old Topic Before Posting Reply
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)
GeorgiePorgie

Post by GeorgiePorgie »

beatme101 wrote: Lawsuit anyone?

I'm not a fan of Apple.

I don't need a lot of fancy bells and whistles on a mobile phone, so I won't be getting an iPhone. I don't even use half of the features on my current phone. I'm not into mobile texting - I do it the old-fahsioned way, via ICQ on a desktop PC. :)

Not interested in iPods either. For several years I've had a Creative Labs 60 GB portable that suits me just fine, I have my own webcast station to listen to, and I have a lifetime subscription to SIRIUS satellite radio.

Some say it is almost impossible to do, but I manage to meet all of my computing, digital music, and mobile phone needs without using Apple products. I didn't plan it that way, it just happened that way and I'm satisfied with it. So I won't be rushing to jump on the iPod and iPhone bandwagons.
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

It would be of no use to me, it is to big to fit in my pocket when I am at work without it being smashed or crushed.... not to mention i think it is as ugly as hell.
Gud
Former Team Member

Post by Gud »

I'll get one the day it gets to europe. 8)
jhecht

Post by jhecht »

I think that it's nice. I mean given it could be a little bit smaller because, well it looks huge, but overall i think its great. I'd like it more if it wasn't only on the cingular networks(im getting real tired of that kind of ish).

I'm not a big fan of apple, for the most part that they keep gloating about really stupid ish. "Macs are immune to viruses". Make macs cheaper and hackers can buy them and exploit them. Thats the only reason there are so many viruses for Windows is that little hacker Johnny can afford to buy one and exploit it. But if this was available, and cheaper, then i might get it. I probably wouldn't use it to hold music, or to surf the web. Well unless i one day forget my Laptop or iPod.

Other than that, i don't much need the phone. I do however, think its a great deal of technology and must commend apple for doing a good job.
"If you've done everything right, people will think you've done nothing at all." - Futurama
This quote is also immeasurably true for web developers/designers
GeorgiePorgie

Post by GeorgiePorgie »

beatme101 wrote: Lawsuit anyone?

I'm not a fan of Apple.

The lawsuit was filed today by Cisco. According to several news sources today...
Cisco, the world's largest network-equipment maker, has owned the trademark on the name "iPhone" since 2000, when it acquired InfoGear Technology Corp., which originally registered the name.
UniquelyFallon

Post by UniquelyFallon »

it looks like things will be getting very juicy for Apple. Oh!
Fast Free Anonymous Web Proxy at Unblock myspace,friendster,xanga and more

Return to “General Discussion”