Apple re-invent the phone

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Thatbitextra
Former Team Member
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra »

karlsemple wrote: It would be of no use to me, it is to big to fit in my pocket when I am at work without it being smashed or crushed....

Oh c'mon, it's barely bigger than an iPod. And by barely, I mean a matter of millimeters. And I've never heard of anyone complaining that the iPod is too big for their pocket :roll:
Styles KB
My MODs: Choose Who to Accept PMs From (Prevents unwanted PMs!) | Warn of Old Topic Before Posting Reply
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)
jhecht

Post by jhecht »

Thatbitextra wrote:
karlsemple wrote:It would be of no use to me, it is to big to fit in my pocket when I am at work without it being smashed or crushed....

Oh c'mon, it's barely bigger than an iPod. And by barely, I mean a matter of millimeters. And I've never heard of anyone complaining that the iPod is too big for their pocket :roll:

Well normal ipods? no. No big deal. Video iPods,however,are freaking huge. I am a rough-n-rumble sort of person so i understand why karl wouldn't want to have it because it could get broken. Like wise, i dont own a video iPod for the sole fact that i have this weird suspision it would end up broken. I use an iPod nano, and my only real issue with it is that its so small i sometimes can't tell where in my pants it is.

I mean i know having to look at something through scrunched up graphics is a pain, but still, smaller screen and shrink just a bit. won't hurt anyone.
"If you've done everything right, people will think you've done nothing at all." - Futurama
This quote is also immeasurably true for web developers/designers
Kigen

Post by Kigen »

Phones with the features listed for the iPhone already exist. They are called SmartPhones and PocketPCs. My brother got a phone that runs Windows Mobile.

I am not impressed by Apple.
- Kigen, the Legendary Lone Marine.
Steamcast Music Directory - Radio Toolbox
Don't go here.
beatme101

Post by beatme101 »

Kigen wrote: Phones with the features listed for the iPhone already exist. They are called SmartPhones and PocketPCs. My brother got a phone that runs Windows Mobile.

I am not impressed by Apple.

Well yeah, this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Everything Apple does has already been done, and for a much lower price and usually better.
Shibby_

Post by Shibby_ »

The name iPhone is also used for phones to call over the internet. I think it's not a name of a brand so why don't use it when you already heave a lot of products on the market with 'i' in front of it?
It's a pity that iPhone will be in Europe (Belgium for me) in the end of 2007. When they release it I will buy it :P
OriginXT
Location: Silicon Valley Posts: 99999999999999 Brilliant: Duh!

Post by OriginXT »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfg ... y_id=12770

Not really. Apparently LG will have it out first.
TheLastLegion

Post by TheLastLegion »

first its going to go through it's first beta testing.. lawsuits
OttoHost LLC - Solutions for the Web - http://www.ottohost.com
Live Support Around the clock • Ruby on Rails • Fantastico de Luxe • US Phone Support Available
Real 24/7 Support, 99.9% Uptime Guarantee, Fast Intel Xeon Quad Core Servers
Burn

Post by Burn »

The interface is amazing. The trick to use two fingers and move them apart to stretch a picture or zoom onto a website is really cool and useful. To me, that's the most exciting feature of the interface!

I'm getting one as soon as it's out... or I wait for the 2nd generation which is going to be slimmer, have more features, and for cheaper, 6 months later? :wink:
Untouchab1e

Post by Untouchab1e »

I dont think iPhone will be a huge success to be honest. Yes, it looks and feels amazing im sure, but when looking at technical specifictations, its not going to be up-to-date by the time it gets released, especially in the pro-mobile-user community.. Here is why:

* No Office document capabilities
* Unknown Exchange support
* No 3G equals no HSDPA support (got WiFi though, but still)
* The biggest minus of all, a lock OS, meaning technically not a smartphone. No 3rd party applications can be installed. Take Symbian or Windows Mobile that have loads of freware available.
* Large buildt-in storage, butno memorycard support
* No GPS, which after all seems to be a more and more desired feature (several phones got it already, and many more comming this year)

That said, iPhone does have several nice features, but overall, i think it will turn out to be a overpriced product which will suit the ones after visual satisfaction, but will leave the ones who use their phone for much more then calling\texting\music (read: office) much to be desired.

Cheers!
3d0

Post by 3d0 »

Untouchab1e wrote: * The biggest minus of all, a lock OS, meaning technically not a smartphone. No 3rd party applications can be installed. Take Symbian or Windows Mobile that have loads of freware available.

Actually it's just a standard Mac Operating System. You can install what you want on it.
An Phpbb Support Dude--PM me for help.
Join the Clan:http://www.thedaetclan.tk

Now Testing:Phpbb 3.0 Beta
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

3d0 wrote: Actually it's just a standard Mac Operating System. You can install what you want on it.

Kind of. It's a scaled down version...highly scaled down version. Which, in my opinion, is one downside of the phone. The OS and preinstalled apps will take up a significant portion of the already small storage space in the phone, leaving you with less space for your music.

Overall, I wasn't very impressed with the iPhone. And honestly, I don't think the audience during the keynote was, either. Their applause seemed delayed and forced as opposed to the regular enthusiasm during their conferences.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
www.teamhcn.com

Post by www.teamhcn.com »

Untouchab1e wrote: I dont think iPhone will be a huge success to be honest. Yes, it looks and feels amazing im sure, but when looking at technical specifictations, its not going to be up-to-date by the time it gets released, especially in the pro-mobile-user community.. Here is why:

* No Office document capabilities
* Unknown Exchange support
* No 3G equals no HSDPA support (got WiFi though, but still)
* The biggest minus of all, a lock OS, meaning technically not a smartphone. No 3rd party applications can be installed. Take Symbian or Windows Mobile that have loads of freware available.
* Large buildt-in storage, butno memorycard support
* No GPS, which after all seems to be a more and more desired feature (several phones got it already, and many more comming this year)

That said, iPhone does have several nice features, but overall, i think it will turn out to be a overpriced product which will suit the ones after visual satisfaction, but will leave the ones who use their phone for much more then calling\texting\music (read: office) much to be desired.

Cheers!

FYI, Apple has stated that a 3G version of the iPhone will be released; their isn't enough HSDPA coverage in North America right now to warrant it. As for no memory card support, I'm not sure why you'd want one with up to 8GB of storage already. AFAIK you will be able to sync your contacts and whatnot with your computer, so transferring necessary data to and from the iPhone won't be a problem. It's too bad the OS is so tightly locked down, but I'm sure someone will hack it eventually. Lack of GPS and office document support aren't killer, either – the iPhone isn't being marketed to the Crackberry-toting business crowd. The iPod name and gorgeous design alone are almost enough to guarantee the iPhone's success. People have been speculating about an iPod phone for years, and the announcement of the iPhone has only served to further increase the already insane buzz. The iPod isn't the best or most feature-rich MP3 player out there, and yet it controls more than 70% of the market. By doing a few things very well and making the iPod into a desirable status symbol through its unique design, Apple has made the iPod phenomenally successful. Barring some catastrophe, it seems a foregone conclusion that they'll repeat this success with the iPhone.
Site | Forums
=HCN= Team Cyanide
"After one taste of us, you're already dead."
lucy123

Post by lucy123 »

My opinion is that iPhone will never get popular as iPod. There are smart phones, which offer in features more than I need. I love integrated WiFi on my smart phone and I will not be changing it in near future.

My first work computer was Apple (I am not considering Atari) :lol:
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

www.teamhcn.com wrote: Lack of GPS and office document support aren't killer, either – the iPhone isn't being marketed to the Crackberry-toting business crowd. The iPod name and gorgeous design alone are almost enough to guarantee the iPhone's success.

The maps portion of a supposedly state-of-the-art new phone seems kind of pointless now without GPS capability.

Granted, it's being marketed towards the younger crowd. Though, in that case, they shouldn't have made it $500+ with a contract. It may look prettier, but my PDA/Smartphone can do a heck of a lot more with freeware apps for about half the cost.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
imac600

Post by imac600 »

I think the iPhone is a good device with a lot of potential, but the price is quite steep and I have no use for such at device (at the present time). Quite a few would likely have the same case.

Can't blame Apple for giving it a shot though. It may work out. Only time will tell it seems.

Return to “General Discussion”