Global warming (Climate change)

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
ecopetition

Global warming (Climate change)

Post by ecopetition » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:59 pm

What is everyone's view on the subject?

_underscore_

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by _underscore_ » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:53 pm

ecopetition wrote: What is everyone's view on the subject?
I accept that it exists, but I doubt that coal-burning power plants [in any case, we should probably start moving to nuclear reactors, IMHO] or just about most of the rest of civilization is causing it to any degree.

As for it's existence, the world has been cycling through climates for some time, I believe.

txuspe

Post by txuspe » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:28 pm

redchild888

Post by redchild888 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:22 pm

It's serious, and sad. The govt seems willing to let us turn into a hot red star as long as there is profit to be made.

ock1991

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by ock1991 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:12 am

_underscore_ wrote: As for it's existence, the world has been cycling through climates for some time, I believe.

Scientists have found the 'cycles' are gradually 'speeding up'. The reason? Too much heat.

We can't blame developing countries for buring coal for energy, coal is just so much cheaper and easier than other sources like nuclear or Hydroelectric or even the Wind. However, developed nations should consider 'greener' energy sources, or rectify the problem at its roots : reduce those gas emissions.

And yes, the climate change IS happening. Look at that winter storm that just past California (or was it Florida :?), and the increasing strength and occurences of tropical storms around the world.

redrider

Post by redrider » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:12 am

I think we are in a warming cycle but not caused by human activity.

Mars is reported to be experiencing a warming trend aslo - there are no humans on Mars.

Tux_Rules

Post by Tux_Rules » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:29 am

I believe its just a normal cycle and in a few (10-15) years it will return to normal. I believe its been this way since they started recording temps. The politicians spread a little half-truth rumor which grows into paranoia, which they then turn around to come up with a "fix", which in turn advances their career.
I saw a 10 year old mountain climbing kid on the Martha Stewart show Monday morning that said "In 10 years because of global warming there will be no snow because it will have evaporated the ice caps", and I'm sure there are people out there that will take that and run with it, even tho the statement is completely backwards.

VVVZZZ

Post by VVVZZZ » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:17 pm

The Canadian government is going through pain and misery because of this. That piece of garbage known as the "KYOTO PROTOCOL".

It's either save the environment and go broke.

OR

Pollute the environment and keep being economically productive.

At least the Prime Minister and the two Environment Ministers he had so far know the reality of the situation.

They know that if they want to save the environment, the unemployment rate will have to go way up, and Canada would need to lose a lot of money.

We may as well keep giving money away to other countries as the Kyoto Protocol allows, so we can keep polluting and therefore let people keep their jobs.

Our biggest trading partner, the United States, has the right to pollute all it wants, it was smart enough to avoid Kyoto. They know that going into poverty to save the environment is not a good idea.

redrider

Post by redrider » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:51 pm

VVVZZZ,
Don't equate polution with global warming.

VVVZZZ

Post by VVVZZZ » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:56 pm

Yeah I should have been more specific and said "Air Pollution" which is what supposedly causes global warming.

froodq

Post by froodq » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:39 am

You guys are kidding yourselves if you don't think humanity's burning of HUGE amounts of fuel and other industrializations are effecting the climate. We are a large part of the cause.

That said, I haven't seen any real workable solutions. I fear we're going to just continue on this path until a big catastrophe hits.
Lux Delux is an awesome Risk Game for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Bobble

Post by Bobble » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:23 pm

The solutions to air pollution and global warming exist. Many of them are prohibitively expensive at the moment. When the oil runs out just what how many alternative energy sources are suddenly "discovered".

redrider

Post by redrider » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:59 am

"There is no such thing as global warming. Admin Moderator was cold, so Admin Moderator turned the sun up." - a moderator

Taken from the net.

Met-Monkey

Post by Met-Monkey » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:46 am

How about peoples views on the counter reacting effect that Global Dimming has on Global Warming. :?:
My Messageboard - UK Weather Forecasting/General Chat - http://met-monkey.co.uk/weather.forum/index.php

Bobble

Post by Bobble » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:03 pm

I had not even heard of Global Dimming before you mentioned it and I am half way through some wiki articles regarding it. I am not surprised that this phenomenon is not widely reported. A lot of the Global Warming debate is geared towards causing a sense of panic and raising those prices further - nothing like a disaster to make a profit and anything that flies in the face of the "we're all going to die!" scenarios would obviously be ignored.

Interesting reading though...

Return to “General Discussion”