Global warming (Climate change)

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
SamG
Former Team Member
Posts: 3221
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2001 6:35 pm
Location: Beautiful Northwest Lower Michigan
Name: Sam Graf

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by SamG » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:15 pm

Roberdin wrote: I doubt that any of the hardware that has been ejected into the solar system will ever do any damage to anything or anyone.
Not that I want to argue this real hard, but why would you say that? Look at my desk. There's a Li-ion battery on it. We don't put those in landfills. There's a SanDisk ImageMate 12 in 1 card reader, with the conspicuous crossed-out trashcan on the back. So, that doesn't go into the landfill. Then there's my Palm T|X, labeled just like my card reader. In point of fact, I have a desk full of stuff that is classed as hazardous waste. Twice a year I'm able to bring this stuff to a hazardous waste collection, and they take it.

How is the stuff on my desk fundamentally different from the hazardous waste we've plopped here and there throughout the solar system? is the level of threat the deciding factor? Do you see that this is where many, if not all forms of human-made pollution began, as either managed or unknown risks?

Roberdin
Registered User
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:56 pm
Location: London, United Kingdom

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by Roberdin » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:03 am

Space is extremely large (:P) and even if we used all the material on the planet to produce debris, I doubt we could have much effect on the general scheme of things. Space has no atmosphere or 'biosystem' which can be corroded or damaged. Satellites in orbit are sometimes trouble but such stuff is usually cleared up properly (by dropping it into the atmosphere to burn up) when its usage is concluded. Regardless, space dust isn't really the issue. Space programmes fuel innovation and scientific research.
Roberdin

SamG
Former Team Member
Posts: 3221
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2001 6:35 pm
Location: Beautiful Northwest Lower Michigan
Name: Sam Graf

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by SamG » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:45 am

Roberdin wrote: Space has no atmosphere or 'biosystem' which can be corroded or damaged.
Now I see where you're coming from. I was actually thinking more of the hazardous stuff we've landed, dropped, and slammed into various objects within the solar system, though I confess I did mention objects made of hazardous materials leaving the system altogether.
Roberdin wrote: Space programmes fuel innovation and scientific research.
Of course. However, that's not necessarily the final word when it comes to thinking about sustainability. And that's part of my earlier point.

User avatar
DarkGod
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:16 pm

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by DarkGod » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:11 am

I believe that global warming is unfortunate for nature, but not unfortunate for people. As a result of global warming, we have more natural disasters occuring. To me, this is good for mother-nature to be so destructive back to us, but it's still just a slap on the hand. It will take more than a few hurricanes, floods, and new deserts for people to finally do anything about it - it would take the extinction of the human race because humans are so greedy for money and power, imo.

So I say bring it on, mother-nature! I believe that in less than 100 years, it will be far too late to do anything about it. The world is going down, and unfortunately all the life on this planet is going with it. Humans may be cleaning up the mess here and there, but there's far more damage being done to counteract the good that we are doing. Everyone is responsible for pollution, so we should take the responsibilities and punishments for it as well. We are the problem in nature, and therefore it would be in nature's interest that we no longer exist.

This is all my own opinions, of course.

Gud
Former Team Member
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2001 11:02 am

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by Gud » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:56 am

DarkGod wrote: I believe that global warming is unfortunate for nature, but not unfortunate for people. As a result of global warming, we have more natural disasters occuring. To me, this is good for mother-nature to be so destructive back to us, but it's still just a slap on the hand. It will take more than a few hurricanes, floods, and new deserts for people to finally do anything about it - it would take the extinction of the human race because humans are so greedy for money and power, imo.

So I say bring it on, mother-nature! I believe that in less than 100 years, it will be far too late to do anything about it. The world is going down, and unfortunately all the life on this planet is going with it. Humans may be cleaning up the mess here and there, but there's far more damage being done to counteract the good that we are doing. Everyone is responsible for pollution, so we should take the responsibilities and punishments for it as well. We are the problem in nature, and therefore it would be in nature's interest that we no longer exist.

This is all my own opinions, of course.


So could you explain to me how the extinction of the human race is not "bad for people"? :D

User avatar
sellaman
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:40 am
Contact:

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by sellaman » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:03 am

We are in a warming cycle caused by human activity. I don't want to die this way.
Give peace a chance. ..John Lennon.

Roberdin
Registered User
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:56 pm
Location: London, United Kingdom

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by Roberdin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:24 pm

DarkGod wrote: ... unfortunately all the life on this planet is going with it ...
I must have missed this part of the report...
Roberdin

Drunky
Registered User
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:16 am
Location: Kegfarms
Contact:

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by Drunky » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:16 pm

sellaman wrote: We are in a warming cycle caused by human activity. I don't want to die this way.


We are not going to die from something that is natural. Global warming is natural.

Roberdin
Registered User
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:56 pm
Location: London, United Kingdom

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by Roberdin » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:27 am

Drunky wrote: We are not going to die from something that is natural.
It's nice to know that I won't be dying from hurricanes, drought, falling off cliffs, illnesses, old age or any number of other natural phenomena.
Drunky wrote: Global warming is natural.
You would not accept that there is even the slightest correlation between human activities and global warming? Regardless, the climate changes will strip the planet of most of its agricultural and habitable land.
Roberdin

Millar
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:22 pm
Name: Sam Millar

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by Millar » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:39 am

Well, if everyone in the UK did as much as they could to prevent global warming, it would only delay global warming by 7 hours in total. So I feel the big creators are places like China who create alot of this.

I do the odd bit to help prevent global warming but I don't go to extremes.

User avatar
bbrian017
Registered User
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by bbrian017 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:16 pm

On another note I was thinking we should stop dropping these BOMBS on mother earth. Then we could all drive cars and crap. How many years do you think I can drive a car till its pollution is equivalent to a bomb? Even better lets stop WAR

Drunky
Registered User
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:16 am
Location: Kegfarms
Contact:

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by Drunky » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:54 pm

bbrian017 wrote: On another note I was thinking we should stop dropping these BOMBS on mother earth. Then we could all drive cars and crap. How many years do you think I can drive a car till its pollution is equivalent to a bomb? Even better lets stop WAR


Are you talking about nuclear bombs? Because I doubt regular bombs could pollute the earth. Also war helps prevent overpopulation. Sadly enough its needed.

Roberdin
Registered User
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:56 pm
Location: London, United Kingdom

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by Roberdin » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:40 am

bbrian017 wrote: On another note I was thinking we should stop dropping these BOMBS on mother earth. Then we could all drive cars and crap. How many years do you think I can drive a car till its pollution is equivalent to a bomb? Even better lets stop WAR
Typically, we use missiles these days rather than drop bombs. Bombs are generally inaccurate, whereas missiles can not only be fired from some distance from their target, but they will often strike it precisely.

On a side note, that's a complete load of rubbish. While I'm sure a lot of pollution is involved in the construction, storage and deployment of a bomb, I doubt it comes even close to the damage done by driving a car to work and back every day by hundreds of millions of people around the planet. If all war was stopped, everyone would just be driving to work in their own 4x4s instead of sharing them with 14 other men, or taking a flight on a 747 with 399 other passengers, rather than their own private (fighter) jet. Indeed, given the economic prosperity that might endure if all the resources currently devoted to wars were redirected, the global pollution output might significantly increase.
Roberdin

User avatar
DarkGod
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:16 pm

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by DarkGod » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:46 am

Gud wrote: So could you explain to me how the extinction of the human race is not "bad for people"? :D

I don't see death as an end nor a bad thing. I see it as an opportunity for something new to occur. I guess one way to answer that question would be: If there are no more people, there would be less suffering from our own doing - pollution as an example. No people = no pollution = less suffering + fewer illnesses + fewer diseases, etc.

User avatar
Anaximander Thales
Registered User
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:05 am
Location: Alabama

Re: Global warming (Climate change)

Post by Anaximander Thales » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:27 pm

DarkGod wrote: I don't see death as an end nor a bad thing. I see it as an opportunity for something new to occur. I guess one way to answer that question would be: If there are no more people, there would be less suffering from our own doing - pollution as an example. No people = no pollution = less suffering + fewer illnesses + fewer diseases, etc.
Um -- Are you talking about The Rapture?? We need to be careful with how we take this -- this IS a discussion on Global Warming. I'm curious as to where you're ideas are coming from though.

I've heard ideas that Global Warming is good for Humans, usually followed with the phrase "It'll hurt our economy and raise taxes." I've not heard "it's good for Humans, because it'll KILL THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE." Do you really want us to end up like the Dinosaurs?
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball peen hammer.

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”