Is it wrong to download?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Drunky

Is it wrong to download?

Post by Drunky »

Who thinks its wrong to download? I'm talking about music, games, movies, TV and whatever else.

I want to know why people think its wrong or not wrong to DL anything. I honestly have no problem with it. I just want to get a few opinions on this subject.
Cardcaptor Stacey
Name: Stacey

Post by Cardcaptor Stacey »

It depends in what sense. I have no problem with it, if the person pays to download it. If you intend to buy it that's great, if not, it is stealing!
Call me Stacey.
hospitalera

Post by hospitalera »

I do stock photography and art (illustrations and fractals mainly). Every time somebody downloads one of my images under, f.e. a web license, but then puts it on a product to resell it I loose money, money that hopefully one day will allow me to give up my day job... I guess the same applies for music also, SY
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Pay for download via legal channels is fine.

File sharing of protected content is not.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Cardcaptor Stacey wrote: if not, it is stealing!

No it isn't. It's copyright infringement. Different things, different areas of law.

As for immorality, it depends on what it is. I have no issue with downloading TV episodes, because as a result of where I live having limited TV content, programs shown overseas are more often than not shown here. Case in point, I recently downloaded Drawn Together and Arrested Development, as I wish to watch them but they aren't broadcast here.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Anon wrote:
Cardcaptor Stacey wrote:if not, it is stealing!

No it isn't. It's copyright infringement. Different things, different areas of law.

As for immorality, it depends on what it is. I have no issue with downloading TV episodes, because as a result of where I live having limited TV content, programs shown overseas are more often than not shown here. Case in point, I recently downloaded Drawn Together and Arrested Development, as I wish to watch them but they aren't broadcast here.
In the US, it is considered stealing. Possibly other places too.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Techie-Micheal wrote: In the US, it is considered stealing. Possibly other places too.

Technically, so is popping in a VHS/DVD or using your DVR to record a show. Which is why I have no problem with people downloading TV shows. Movies and music are a completely different story.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

AdamR wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:In the US, it is considered stealing. Possibly other places too.

Technically, so is popping in a VHS/DVD or using your DVR to record a show. Which is why I have no problem with people downloading TV shows. Movies and music are a completely different story.

- Adam
That's not my point though. Ed keeps saying that it isn't stealing. Well, perhaps not in NZ, but it is in other places. That said, I have no problem with recording stuffs on my DVR. :P Some places will even let you watch online.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
laisvai

Re: Is it wrong to download?

Post by laisvai »

Drunky wrote: Who thinks its wrong to download? I'm talking about music, games, movies, TV and whatever else.

I want to know why people think its wrong or not wrong to DL anything. I honestly have no problem with it. I just want to get a few opinions on this subject.

I think it is wrong if you can allow yourself to buy it in legal way...Without it some people i think still live in stone age or something :) it lets to know someone more about something, and that makes internet amazing and usefull in my opinion :)
Drunky

Post by Drunky »

AdamR wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:In the US, it is considered stealing. Possibly other places too.

- Adam

A lot of TV shows I download are for episodes I missed and watch and then delete them.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Regarding downloading / watching TV shows...

Did the copyright holder of the show publish it for downloading? If so, that's their choice, and it's fine. Did someone else record the show and then post it? If so, then unless that right is specifically granted by the copyright holder, it's not legal.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
AdamR wrote:

- Adam
That's not my point though. Ed keeps saying that it isn't stealing. Well, perhaps not in NZ, but it is in other places.

Really? I couldn't find anything in the copyright act, the only mention of "theft" was the NET act, although that only serves to criminalise copyright infringement if it's for personal use, not rewrite the fundamental meaning of copyright infringement.
Kigen

Post by Kigen »

One thing I hate the most is someone taking something that isn't theirs' (songs, code, etc) and putting their name on it as if they made it.
Drunky

Post by Drunky »

Kigen wrote: One thing I hate the most is someone taking something that isn't theirs' (songs, code, etc) and putting their name on it as if they made it.

What does that have to do with downloading? Obviously if somebody DLed a Iron Maiden song and claimed it was their own then people would call them an idiot.
Myspoonistoobig

Post by Myspoonistoobig »

More harm is being done to society by the industries pushing this issue than the individuals infringing copyright

Copyright and patent are good in concept at some level. In practice, very very bad

Companies that own the majority of the content being disputed esentially do NOTHING. They just sit on content. Their entrie business model involves ownership. They don't do real work, their work is in gobbling up content (such as by signing bands) and then partitioning it out

I don't feel a bit bad about 'stealing' music, movies, or television, and you shouldn't either.

The act itself is not analogous to shoplifting or robbery. It's analogous to not watching or muting television commericals. 'stealing' a file represents only a loss of potential profits. Whereas a real, physical product costs real resources to put on the shelf, a copy of a file on a p2p network is transferred with the bandwidth of the users involved, and stored on the harddrive of the one receiving it.

Stealing music is actually GOOD for small bands: When you're a worthless nobody, you want every single person you can POSSIBLY get, to hear your song.

It is only bad for large companies, whose business model is based around domination of intellectual property and nothing else. And even then, it is only bad because of the slippery slope it implies: They're afraid they will be unseated from their privelged position if this trend continues, because they know there's no substance to what they do, and without the corcercion of the law, they're screwed, they're useless and impotent.

They're not even feeling the effects yet, but if they were, it would be slicing their profit margins thinner, not putting them out of work.

They've been saying since the dawn of napster that it will destroy the music industry. Oh yeah? I'm waiting eagerly for that day. Because people will never stop creating. The concentration of power would only shift to a new entity who eventually climbed to the top when the existing ones crumbled.

Going on 8 years later and it still hasn't happened. But, swallow more tripe, sheep
drathbun wrote: Pay for download via legal channels is fine.

File sharing of protected content is not.

Now log on a secret non-mod account and say what you really think : )

And, while we're posting this using a peice of open source software, I have to say software is the best example. There is no harm to society in stealing proprietary software: There's an endless supply of programmers willing to contribute a version to society that is free as in freedom AND price. If stealing were able to destroy the market for proprietary software, I say good! Get that buggy vendor locked-in crap out of circulation

Return to “General Discussion”