Is it wrong to download?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Is it wrong to download?

Post by thecoalman »

Anon wrote:[
There is a difference, as the whole "well if you steal a chocolate bar the shop loses, so stealing costs money, so stealing [sic] films costs money as well" argument isn't valid because it isn't stealing in the first place.
It's valid because the value of a disc is not the disc itself but the contents of a disc. Let's say someone works for Adobe and steals a box with 250 CD's that sell for $1000 each. Grand total is $250K retail. Adobe's cost to manufacture replacements is going to be a trivial amount, the real loss they have incurred is the files on the CD's.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
CheopisIV

Post by CheopisIV »

To download or not to download..

I used to buy my games based on reviews in magazines, previous experience with the manufacturer and just plain old cool looking art/screens. I bought a lot of junk.

Now, if there isn't a trial available for download, I dl the game and try it out. If I do like the game enough to load it up more than once, I go out and buy it; If I don't like the game within the first boot, I clear it out and mark it as junk. So far, I've purchased a lot less games than I would have if I didn't have the 'trial', but I saved a lot of money.

If the game developers want my money, they better make a game that isn't buggy, has some depth and offer me a trial version so I can see what it's all about. With the inability to return open packages to the store, I think this is something that should be expected by game developers. Far too often the game hits the shelves and is a buggy, useless mess.

Best games I bought after dl'ing a 'trial';
Neverwinter Nights, Morrowind, Black & White, The Sims, Simcity 4, Madden.
(After that first Madden, I just go out and buy the new version. EA has earned my loyalty)

The list of games I never bought (but would have if I didn't have the 'trial') would be far longer than the list above.
Role Play Wrestling...For the True Fan!
InspectorG

Post by InspectorG »

I think humanity simply focuses on issues that really have no bearing on life. There are much more important issues to argue about. We spend so much time nit picking on trivial things that humanity is missing the important issues.... :)
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

InspectorG wrote:I think humanity simply focuses on issues that really have no bearing on life. There are much more important issues to argue about. We spend so much time nit picking on trivial things that humanity is missing the important issues.... :)

Like _____ ?
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

InspectorG wrote:I think humanity simply focuses on issues that really have no bearing on life. There are much more important issues to argue about.
But it's how you handle the little things that makes you who you are, right? If you don't see a problem with downloading content that you have no right to, what does that say about how you will treat and respect other larger issues? Where do you draw the line?
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

This is about laws, morality, art, peoples careers etc., and the future! Pretty big things imo. :P
eUKhost.com

Post by eUKhost.com »

Whether the technology exists to make the process easy, or whether everyone else does it, it doesn’t change what it is. To download is a way of stealing which is wrong and illegal.
Drunky

Post by Drunky »

eUKhost.com wrote:Whether the technology exists to make the process easy, or whether everyone else does it, it doesn’t change what it is. To download is a way of stealing which is wrong and illegal.
What is wrong about it? Just because the law says so?
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Naturally, people who ascribe to the rule of law are going to answer that question “yes.” You've yet to show, I think, that the relevant laws protecting income and controlling distribution are fundamentally inequitable in some way, so I don't follow the point of your question.
Drunky

Post by Drunky »

amelio wrote:
Drunky wrote:What is wrong about it? Just because the law says so?
Change the law and everything will ok.

But the morality still exists... ;)
Whats immoral about downloading?
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Drunky wrote:Whats immoral about downloading?
Nothing, assuming you have permission from the owner of the content.
Drunky

Post by Drunky »

drathbun wrote:
How is it immoral when you don't?
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Did you read the other posts is this topic?
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Drunky wrote:
drathbun wrote:
How is it immoral when you don't?
I just don't know how I can respond to that. I would not have, other than you quoted me directly.
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

eUKhost.com wrote:Whether the technology exists to make the process easy, or whether everyone else does it, it doesn’t change what it is. To download is a way of stealing which is wrong and illegal.
For the umpteenth time, it's not stealing, it never will be stealing, and no matter how many people say it is it won't be stealing

Return to “General Discussion”