Is it wrong to download?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Al Knight

Re: Is it wrong to download?

Post by Al Knight »

Yes, but I download, but when I really like something I buy it as soon as it becomes available here.
Ricker500

Post by Ricker500 »

drathbun wrote: US copyright laws do not distinguish between selling or giving away a copy. If you duplicate copyrighted material and distribute it you are breaking the law. Thus, you cannot send home a copy, even if you do not charge for it. I don't pretend to be an expert on international law, but I expected that it would be the same.
I'm not sure of the US Laws in this since I'm active in Sweden but in Sweden you can give someone a copy as long as you don't do it over the net.
drathbun wrote:If nobody wanted it, there would be no market, digital downloads or otherwise. ;-) People want music, people enjoy music, I don't think that's the issue. What I see as the issue is that the move to digital media has provided so many easy opportunities for illegal distribution and copying.
I didn't mean that people don't want music. I meant they didn't want the services the record companies offer. The record companies doens't make the music, the artists do. What the record companies do is package the product in a way that is extremely expensive. And as we can see the market is on serious decline.

Why am I so interested in this topic? My company: You must have missed this rule
Last edited by Jim_UK on Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam removed
/Magnus is a swedish webmaster with more than 40 active sites, one of them a phpBB: Blogg-Forum.se (Swedish)
ecopetition

Re:

Post by ecopetition »

hospitalera wrote:I do stock photography and art (illustrations and fractals mainly). Every time somebody downloads one of my images under, f.e. a web license, but then puts it on a product to resell it I loose money, money that hopefully one day will allow me to give up my day job... I guess the same applies for music also, SY
I think the thread author means more about mega-money things, like the music industry and popular softwares. With all due respect, there aren't going to be many people who get on the internet after work and think, "Today I think I'll download some pictures without paying."

If you download Vista illegally, for example, what's Microsoft losing financially? Probably it's the better option to allow free downloading over no downloading otherwise they'll move onto something like Linux and have no intention to buy Windows products in the future due to incompatibilities.
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Re: Re:

Post by AdamR »

hospitalera wrote:If you download Vista illegally, for example, what's Microsoft losing financially? Probably it's the better option to allow free downloading over no downloading otherwise they'll move onto something like Linux and have no intention to buy Windows products in the future due to incompatibilities.
It's not about the financial aspect. At all. The creator isn't losing anything physical. What they are losing, however, is their right to say how and when their creation is distributed, whether it be for monetary exchange or not. Period.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
bbrian017

Post by bbrian017 »

I think it's okay. I mean if I could choose between having cable or being able to download all my tv shows I would 100% pay to download my stuff. As of right now it's not legal and isn't allowed in Canada but I think the only way to beat them is to join them. So large movie, Music and other media distributors should just stat their own torrent sites and this way I can legally pay to download this stuff. To be honest the only reason I download all my fav tv shows is because theres like 15 minutes in a 30 minute show that's all commercials. So in the end I think it's cool to download stuff and we all should do it.

Bit-Torrent FTW
Ratio: 0.826 Uploaded: 545.75 GB Downloaded: 660.83 GB Slots: 4 slots
Anon
Former Team Member

Re: Re:

Post by Anon »

AdamR wrote:
hospitalera wrote:If you download Vista illegally, for example, what's Microsoft losing financially? Probably it's the better option to allow free downloading over no downloading otherwise they'll move onto something like Linux and have no intention to buy Windows products in the future due to incompatibilities.
It's not about the financial aspect. At all. The creator isn't losing anything physical. What they are losing, however, is their right to say how and when their creation is distributed, whether it be for monetary exchange or not. Period.

- Adam
They still have the right. No one can take Microsofts rights away. What they have lost is the ability to control how the software is distributed. But realistically, as soon as the software makes its merry way to the CD pressing plant, that ability is long gone
gesh13

Post by gesh13 »

I think that wheter it is wrong or not to download depends on the country. In Bulgaria(where I'm from) we just don't have money to buy most of the things. Example:
Windows vista: 100$
office 2007: 200$
These are the most basic things you need. That makes 300$!!!
It might sound funny for most of the countries but teachers for example get about 200$ a mounth. And now they are fightinh against the government and they want 100% increasement. Even if you get 400$ instead of 200, do you want do spend 3/4 of your salary only for buying some software?
Only my windows XP and office 2003 aren't downloaded. And thats only because my father brought from work originals and I copied them.
There are many people here that make cracks for games and programs. And the torrent trackers here are one of the best in the world. SOme organizations tried to stop them and now they are illegal here but the trackers easily moved to servers outside the country and there it goes again.
I have downloaded about 1 TB in my life and I don't think that I should stop.
Visit my web site: Harry Potter 7
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

gesh13 wrote:It might sound funny for most of the countries but teachers for example get about 200$ a mounth. And now they are fightinh against the government and they want 100% increasement. Even if you get 400$ instead of 200, do you want do spend 3/4 of your salary only for buying some software?
That's really no excuse, there are free alternatives such as Linux and openoffice. If memory serves me correctly MS even has an inititive where they are providing low cost software to such areas because so many people in those areas were turning to such products.

I think this is one of the core problems with people that don't have a problem with "stealing" someone else's work. They "have" to have the latest and greatest over-hyped, over-marketed piece of crap that is being crammed down their throat . You don't have to have anything, explore your options. There are free or low cost alternatives for nearly everything that people download illegally.

Just as example some of the best tools available for processing video such as vitualdub are free, most of these tools will never be utilized by your average person because A) they aren't brand name and B) they are a little harder to use.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
AdamR
Former Team Member

Post by AdamR »

gesh13 wrote:It might sound funny for most of the countries but teachers for example get about 200$ a mounth. And now they are fightinh against the government and they want 100% increasement. Even if you get 400$ instead of 200, do you want do spend 3/4 of your salary only for buying some software?
You're not spending 75% of your salary because you're not buying it every month. You upgrade Office once every, what, 3.5 years? You only upgrade Windows once every, what? 4.5 years?

Office Home and Student: $149.99 once every 3.5 years
Windows Home Basic: $99.99 once every 4.5 years

That's 0.6% of your income. And like others have said, there are free alternatives.

Be regardless of the cost, it is the creator's right to say when and how and for how much it is distributed. As Anon pointed out, it is their right to control this and that is what's being taken away.

- Adam
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
gesh13

Post by gesh13 »

I know that, but these are only two things. If I want to pay for all the software I have, I'll need about 10000$. I have lots of programs. I have this computer for 4 years. And thats about 2500$ a year. Well, this is MORE than the sallary I showed you. So most of the people here just can't pay for these things. But I think that many people in the USA have no excuse for that.
I really think that everyone should pay but not everyone CAN pay.
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Replace "software" with "car" and "computer" with "garage". You'll see how ridiculous your statement is. :P
gesh13 wrote:I know that, but these are only two things. If I want to pay for all the cars I have, I'll need about 10000$. I have lots of cars. I have this garage for 4 years. And thats about 2500$ a year. Well, this is MORE than the sallary I showed you. So most of the people here just can't pay for these things. But I think that many people in the USA have no excuse for that.
Would you steal a car if you couldn't afford one or look for an alternative?
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

gesh13 wrote:I know that, but these are only two things. If I want to pay for all the software I have, I'll need about 10000$.
I would need a whole lot more than that for programs I wished I had... I don't even have $10,000 worth of software I purchased, I can't afford it so I find alternatives or do without.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
gesh13

Post by gesh13 »

ElbertF wrote:Replace "software" with "car" and "computer" with "garage". You'll see how ridiculous your statement is. :P
gesh13 wrote:I know that, but these are only two things. If I want to pay for all the cars I have, I'll need about 10000$. I have lots of cars. I have this garage for 4 years. And thats about 2500$ a year. Well, this is MORE than the sallary I showed you. So most of the people here just can't pay for these things. But I think that many people in the USA have no excuse for that.
Well cars aren't so easy to steal :mrgreen:
And cars are more serious things than software=)
AdamR
Former Team Member

Post by AdamR »

gesh13 wrote:And cars are more serious things than software=)
How so? I mean, yes, the car has more physical value than software, but isn't the owner's right to control how, when, and where the car is used exactly the same as the software creator's right to control how, when, and where the software is distributed?

- Adam
Ricker500

Post by Ricker500 »

ElbertF wrote:Replace "software" with "car" and "computer" with "garage". You'll see how ridiculous your statement is. :P
This is ridiculous since stealing is a totally different matter from downloading. You just can't compare like that, if I have a car I also have the resell rights for it. Ford can't sue me for selling the car to a friend or even charging him for riding in it. Copyright doesn't work on cars.
/Magnus is a swedish webmaster with more than 40 active sites, one of them a phpBB: Blogg-Forum.se (Swedish)

Return to “General Discussion”