Windows vs. Linux

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
VVVZZZ
Registered User
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:30 am

Windows vs. Linux

Post by VVVZZZ » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:45 pm

Over the past year, I've been pitting these 2 operating systems against each other. I've bounced back and forth between Windows and Linux, and have come to the conclusion that:

Windows is marginally superior as of now

AND

Linux continues to improve, and is playing a bigger and bigger role in my life as time goes on, so this situation might eventually reverse

These 2 OSes continue their admirable tug-of-war in my computing life. About 10 years ago I had the same struggle between DOS and Windows, Windows finally achieved a total 100% victory only about a year ago.

As of yet, "Windows" is XP and to a lesser extent, 2000. "Linux" is about 20 distros over the past 2 years, the most important ones being Knoppix, Debian, DSL, openSUSE, and Ubuntu (not necessarily in that order).

So far I haven't had an opportunity to put Vista to serious use.

The war rages on with no clear strong winner, Windows only barely in the lead so far.

Do any of you have an ongoing personal OS war: Windows/Linux, Windows/MacOS, DOS/Linux, etc.? Any clear results? Or should we all unite and stick with just one? Or what do you think otherwise?

User avatar
John Kenney
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:59 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
Contact:

Post by John Kenney » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:12 am

it depends what you want to do with your os. windows still owns the desktop.
Last edited by John Kenney on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Anon
Former Team Member
Posts: 7019
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:33 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by Anon » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:49 am

John Kenney wrote: it depends what you want to do with your os. windows still owns the desktop, but it'd be really foolish to try using windows to run a server.


Not really, I prefer windows as a desktop and server because I know how to use them. Some prefer to use unix/BSD for both and good for them, but at the end of the day people use what is best for their needs

HVAC Tech Forum
Registered User
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:45 pm
Contact:

Post by HVAC Tech Forum » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:54 pm

I prefer windows over linux simply because they have set the industry standard. Maybe I am crazy, but they have a proven track record for over twenty years now. I currently use a windows operating system, a linux server, and opera browser - so I do shop around a little. :)

who_cares
Registered User
Posts: 5106
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: ATL
Contact:

Post by who_cares » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:06 am

John Kenney wrote: it'd be really foolish to try using windows to run a server.

that's not to say people don't try :)

I finally got a cat5 line so I switched to Ubuntu, and it's more stable and user-friendly than my copy of XP has ever been

User avatar
AdamR
Former Team Member
Posts: 9731
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida
Name: Adam Reyher
Contact:

Post by AdamR » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:56 am

John Kenney wrote: but it'd be really foolish to try using windows to run a server.


No offense, but that's usually the opinion of people who have 1) never tried running Windows as a server or 2) didn't configure it properly. ;) Server 2003 is awesome as a server, and Longhorn Server looks to be so much better. Maybe not as stable as Linux right out of the box, but equally powerful.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

VVVZZZ
Registered User
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:30 am

Post by VVVZZZ » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:46 am

Windows NT 4 was a pretty good server.

One thing's for sure, if Windows were under the GPL, I'd kick Linux to the curb, and it would be Windows all the way.

OriginXT
Registered User
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:32 am
Location: Silicon Valley Posts: 99999999999999 Brilliant: Duh!
Contact:

Re: Windows vs. Linux

Post by OriginXT » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:30 am

VVVZZZ wrote: Over the past year, I've been pitting these 2 operating systems against each other. I've bounced back and forth between Windows and Linux, and have come to the conclusion that:

Windows is marginally superior as of now

AND

Linux continues to improve, and is playing a bigger and bigger role in my life as time goes on, so this situation might eventually reverse

These 2 OSes continue their admirable tug-of-war in my computing life. About 10 years ago I had the same struggle between DOS and Windows, Windows finally achieved a total 100% victory only about a year ago.

As of yet, "Windows" is XP and to a lesser extent, 2000. "Linux" is about 20 distros over the past 2 years, the most important ones being Knoppix, Debian, DSL, openSUSE, and Ubuntu (not necessarily in that order).

So far I haven't had an opportunity to put Vista to serious use.

The war rages on with no clear strong winner, Windows only barely in the lead so far.

Do any of you have an ongoing personal OS war: Windows/Linux, Windows/MacOS, DOS/Linux, etc.? Any clear results? Or should we all unite and stick with just one? Or what do you think otherwise?

Only thing I absolutely hate about my linux box is the fact that half my drivers aren't supported :(

jhecht
Registered User
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:05 pm
Location: Richmond
Contact:

Post by jhecht » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:56 am

AdamR wrote:
John Kenney wrote:but it'd be really foolish to try using windows to run a server.


No offense, but that's usually the opinion of people who have 1) never tried running Windows as a server or 2) didn't configure it properly. ;) Server 2003 is awesome as a server, and Longhorn Server looks to be so much better. Maybe not as stable as Linux right out of the box, but equally powerful.

- Adam


Honestly, i must agree with John Kenney, running windows as a server is a bit on the risky side, and only those who know alot about computers should try to do so. And, AdamR, I am one of those people who has tried running windows as a server and has configured it properly. I still preffer a linux box over a windows server.

As i believe it was VVVZZZ said, if windows was open source and you could edit it, I'd so have windows. But also, i don't use Linux mainly for the fact that many linux distros don't support the drivers(again, as someone said) on my computer(its a laptop...). As soon as i can get a version of linux that supports the Dell wireless adapter i have, then im so changing my server to linux(if you know of any, please tell me. Its a Dell 1300 wireless adapter i believe).

In my opinion, Linux pwns, its just not many people designing drivers and such think of linux when coding. So we are stuck in a world of OSX and Windows.

Oh and vista is crap. Its like XP media center, just with a new look and (in some cases) voice recognition.
"If you've done everything right, people will think you've done nothing at all." - Futurama
This quote is also immeasurably true for web developers/designers

User avatar
AdamR
Former Team Member
Posts: 9731
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida
Name: Adam Reyher
Contact:

Post by AdamR » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:11 am

jhecht wrote: Honestly, i must agree with John Kenney, running windows as a server is a bit on the risky side, and only those who know alot about computers should try to do so. And, AdamR, I am one of those people who has tried running windows as a server and has configured it properly. I still preffer a linux box over a windows server.


I never said I preferred a Windows server over Linux. ;) I very much so prefer Linux. I was simply addressing his statement that if you use Windows as a server, you're foolish for doing so, which is definately not the case. In general, Linux performs better as a server. However, what if I need to easily interface with my C#/.NET applications? Doing so on a Linux server proves a bit tricky, whereas I can just slap on an ASP.NET side and make the two seemless. Windows servers have their place.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

jhecht
Registered User
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:05 pm
Location: Richmond
Contact:

Post by jhecht » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:13 am

AdamR wrote: Windows servers have their place.

- Adam


Yes, mainly called a garbage can.
"If you've done everything right, people will think you've done nothing at all." - Futurama
This quote is also immeasurably true for web developers/designers

who_cares
Registered User
Posts: 5106
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: ATL
Contact:

Post by who_cares » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:08 am

VVVZZZ wrote: One thing's for sure, if Windows were under the GPL, I'd kick Linux to the curb, and it would be Windows all the way.

I don't use Linux just because of the GPL. I prefer it over windows because it can actually run for long periods of time.

User avatar
AdamR
Former Team Member
Posts: 9731
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida
Name: Adam Reyher
Contact:

Post by AdamR » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:50 am

who_cares wrote: I don't use Linux just because of the GPL. I prefer it over windows because it can actually run for long periods of time.


Tell that to my Windows XP SP2 desktop which is sitting at just over 204 days at the moment. ;)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

User avatar
Tux_Rules
Registered User
Posts: 958
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:48 pm
Location: Afton, Michigan
Contact:

Post by Tux_Rules » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:02 pm

In my opinion, Linux pwns, its just not many people designing drivers and such think of linux when coding. So we are stuck in a world of OSX and Windows.


I have heard in the past that the lack of support (or new drivers) for hardware is that the manufactures are refusing to release the source code officially for the chipsets. True or not I don't know.

I prefer Linux as it is less prone to viruses, and I don't have to buy software such as anti-virus, firewall, compilers, etc., separately and is more stable and less resource intense compared to windows. Plus it's open source, so if there is a bug found, it usually has a patch to fix it within a very short time, unlike windows where it may take months to get a patch for bugs.

Just my opinion.

romans1423
Registered User
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2002 4:44 pm
Location: Connersville, IN
Name: Rick Beckman
Contact:

Post by romans1423 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:56 am

I actually just ordered a new computer -- without an OS pre-installed -- and have gone back and forth as to whether or not I want to use my copy of WinXP Pro or Ubuntu as the operating system. I decided on Windows XP simply because it works. I have a free virus scanner, I have a free firewall, and my computer sits always connected without nary a problem.

WinXP may have more vulnerabilities or bugs, but until such things actually affect me, they can't persuade me to switch to Ubuntu. Learning a new OS isn't worth it at this time, I guess. Maybe in the future, but certainly not now.

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”