Windows vs. Linux

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Ben-S
I am too lazy to register

Re: Windows vs. Linux

Post by Ben-S »

Windows XP: Good for home use, but I don't really think its good for business use (i.e. web hosting companies).

Windows Vista: Good for home use, but still a few bugs that need to be sorted. I don't recommend using this as of yet.

Linux: Good for business use. Not really used for home use.

:)

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Gud wrote: That's simply not true.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/
In fact, in almost all the benchmarks, XP outperforms Vista.

The benchmarks are interesting, and I'll concede the point for the time being. However, that being said, in my experience multitasking has been far superior on Vista and with select applications. In my opinion, giving developers a chance to take advantage of Vista's capabilities will in turn help. Again, I could be wrong and can only speak from my experience, so I won't proceed with this point any further.
The cheapest 15.4" macbook pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834114320

Each core is 0.16Ghz slower ... In terms of price/performance, the graphics card (7900GS 256MB) RAM, (2GB DDR2), and 200GB HDD, the PC wins.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

CiDhed

Post by CiDhed »

Just because the specs are better on the PC doesnt mean it is a faster computer. Mac OS is more optimised then windows will ever be.

Microsoft owns the market. They can make crap and people buy it because they HAVE too. Apple actually has to make a good product because if they make crap they will have NO user base. Vista is just a pretty version of XP. They made no attempts at making it more secure or optimized. I was looking forward to Vista when MS said they were going to redesign it from the ground up. I was wrong to believe thier lies.

Lawofthesnake

Post by Lawofthesnake »

Aye the Os X system uses much less memory and other things on the pc allowing a lot of that extra stuff to be free for other applications to utilize. I can run FCP on 1GB ram with a 1.85 Ghz processor. Where does Avid or Adobe stand with their movie editing application for windows?

and the mac minis i have seen so far are cheaper than the window vistas.

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Lawofthesnake wrote: Aye the Os X system uses much less memory and other things on the pc allowing a lot of that extra stuff to be free for other applications to utilize. I can run FCP on 1GB ram with a 1.85 Ghz processor. Where does Avid or Adobe stand with their movie editing application for windows?

I actually ran Adobe Premiere 2.0 Pro on my 1.5Ghz P4 512MB RAM desktop for quite a while. Granted rendering the final video took time, but the application itself ran perfectly fine.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Lawofthesnake

Post by Lawofthesnake »

I ran FCP on 512 Mb for a while but we got larger projects and it started lagging the system with all the rendering going on.

Striked

Post by Striked »

Just wanted to make a point that if wine is installed in linux it will run windows programs.
I tried it with Visual Basic 6.

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

It won't run Photoshop though (another reason Linux is useless for me as a desktop OS - I detest GIMP).

Striked

Post by Striked »

Pezzoni wrote: It won't run Photoshop though (another reason Linux is useless for me as a desktop OS - I detest GIMP).

Well I have no idea what's causing it. Are you using Photoshop CS3? It's that linux doesn't have registries and Services. I don't know about services but I think it support registries.

Lawofthesnake

Post by Lawofthesnake »

WINE has never been very good. the major problem with linux is the lack of software avaliable for it, im sure this issue will fade as it has with os x once it becomes more popular.

Striked

Post by Striked »

I still think the main thing is that Linux is free. and under GPL. I personally edit WINDOWS to suit my own likings. (Theres always system recovery) but with linux you can redistribute it.

Also asp.net and asp is only supported on windows so whenever you see .asp pages then the server is Windows 2003 :D

brasil
Name: Augusto Bittencourt

Post by brasil »

I prefer windows, but Linux is good to work, it´s more fast and simple, as ubuntu!
Versão 3.0.7 do pacote de idiomas já está disponível para donwload.
Version 3.0.7 language pack pt_br is updated and ready to download.
Procurando parcerias, favor entrar em contato por MP.
Searching for partnership´s, please send me a PM.

Striked

Post by Striked »

brasil wrote: I prefer windows, but Linux is good to work, it´s more fast and simple, as ubuntu!

You using ubuntu desktop? It has a Mac like GUI. I prefer redhat enterprise. It's great for my game server.

Lawofthesnake

Post by Lawofthesnake »

i use both mac and unbuntu and I dont think its much like macs gui at all expect for the top menu for finding applications, mac is more complex.

imac600

Post by imac600 »

When it comes down to GUI complexity, or simplicity should I say, Mac OS X and Linux (Gnome) are about on par. I have them in a dual boot on a G4/400 so I can get a fairly good opinion what it's like. Windows however, and I don't intend this as offensive, some may prefer it, but Windows is fairly complex. Some of it is necessary, some of it isn't.

Return to “General Discussion”