Old Phpbb website or this one?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Pezzoni

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by Pezzoni » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:02 pm

I much prefer this one. My only gripe is that I have a lot of unused space down the sides: my fault for using 1600x1200 though, I guess :D

danopia
Name: Daniel Lamando

Post by danopia » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:48 pm

Pezzoni wrote: I much prefer this one. My only gripe is that I have a lot of unused space down the sides: my fault for using 1600x1200 though, I guess :D
I hate styles that don't stretch. I actually took a fixed-width like this and made it stretch for my site. I love super-high-res too. ;)
Hackers are not criminals. Hackers are the only people out there to keep crackers and virus coders on the run. Hackers are misconstrued by the media, but in reality, they do not cause damage or steal. Hackers tell system administrators of the faults of their software, and keep the Internet safe from those who don't.

phpBB3 MODs: Simple Topic Calendar

john010117
I've Been Banned!

Post by john010117 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:02 am

I just love this new template. It's way better than the old one IMO (I just hope it ships with phpBB 3RC1). But the only thing I'm not used to is having the profile info on the right. I mean, I know why the phpBB team changed it (to get more attention on the content of the post), but still... Anyways, I'll have to adjust. Nice job!
The below statement is true.
The above statement is false.

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:15 am

I like the post information being on the right. It will take getting used to, but it is a good design decision (and, as demonstrated, easy to reverse).

Inviz

Post by Inviz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:45 am

Pezzoni wrote: I like the post information being on the right. It will take getting used to, but it is a good design decision (and, as demonstrated, easy to reverse).

Agreed. I think it looks much better on that side. I've gotta say though, the whole site in general looks a lot better. I especially like the new banners though, they're absolutely awesome :D

Quillz
Name: Joseph

Post by Quillz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:18 am

The new style is better in just about every way. I also prefer the posbit to the right. It makes more... ergonomic sense, I suppose.

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:39 am

Pezzoni wrote: I much prefer this one. My only gripe is that I have a lot of unused space down the sides: my fault for using 1600x1200 though, I guess :D

As has been said, the final version will be set to 100% width. It's not on this site so that they can make the forum fit in with the WEBSITE design. Therefore the extra space at the sides will be gone from the final shipped version of the theme.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Inviz

Post by Inviz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:46 am

bonelifer wrote:

As has been said, the final version will be set to 100% width. It's not on this site so that they can make the forum fit in with the WEBSITE design. Therefore the extra space at the sides will be gone from the final shipped version of the theme.

That sucks. I always really liked the extra space on the sides.

Socialoutcast

Post by Socialoutcast » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:16 am

This all feels weird smilies are on the other side of the screen and stuff like that but I guess I'll get used to that. But the colours are kind of boring.

Shamisen

Post by Shamisen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:33 am

Sometimes change should be taken with a grain of salt
However I feel this change is for the best... :D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Zero Override

Post by Zero Override » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:24 am

Inviz wrote: That sucks. I always really liked the extra space on the sides.
You will be able to alter the width for your own style, I guess! :)

xdarkday

Post by xdarkday » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:11 am

Love it. Great job guys. The only thing I will need to get used to is hitting the new board index link. I kind of liked the big "community" image button they had before.

Thatbitextra
Former Team Member
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:35 am

xdarkday wrote: The only thing I will need to get used to is hitting the new board index link. I kind of liked the big "community" image button they had before.

Hehe, me too :lol:
Styles KB
My MODs: Choose Who to Accept PMs From (Prevents unwanted PMs!) | Warn of Old Topic Before Posting Reply
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)

rreptile

Post by rreptile » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:48 am

If it weren't for the horizontal scroll, I wouldn't mind the new look. I like the new banner It took me a while to find "view unread posts" and decipher the icons to know which ones were unread and which were read. For a new look that is so BIG in so many ways, it's rather odd that the unread post icon is miniscule.
danopia wrote: I hate styles that don't stretch.

Exactly.
AdamR wrote: Only when sites stop supporting 800x600 will people start to realize they either need to change their resolution or get a new screen.

Only when sites start using percentage widths rather than fixed will people start to realize that there is little need to dictate to others to change their resolutions and/or get new monitors. To those who suggest buying new monitors and discarding the old monitors that are perfectly serviceable in every respect but for viewing fixed width large image websites, can you spell "landfill"?

I too am using 800x600 resolution. Why? (Is it really anyone's business but mine that I do not want to shell out the cash for a new video card in order to stop the computer from crashing at a higher resolution?) Most sites I go to are completely readable. I can't remember the last time I saw such a horizontal scroll.

Please note that if I were using the high resolution that would show the huge empty space, I'd be just as critical.

Image widths can be put in percentages too... that's the beauty of css.
- Reactionary (So... have you backed up your files lately? This is even more important if you're staying with phpBB2)

Lawofthesnake

Post by Lawofthesnake » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:08 pm

The user info should still be on the left not the right.

Return to “General Discussion”