Old Phpbb website or this one?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Crueltylizer
Registered User
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by Crueltylizer » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:30 am

I am not a big fan of the Re: in reply subjects and i really hope it will be easy to remove when PHPBB3 is released.

Also its to bad that the banner switches between different styles. The frontpage uses a planet drawn digitally, but going to the forum the banner switches to something looking like a handdrawn picture which is out of the place from the frontpage because of the stylechange. It should be changed to a matching style on all pages.

I like the colors though and the setup of the different things. But some changes should be made for this to look perfect.

Ryan_W
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:39 am

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by Ryan_W » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:04 pm

I think the new look is certainly much better than the old one. The header looks cool and colors used are bright and vibrant. The new look goes well with the site and is in tandem with the changing trends.

User avatar
Stallyon
Registered User
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 6:40 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Name: Chris Bell
Contact:

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by Stallyon » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:11 am

Love the new banner. The modern contemporary look is very refreshing and easy on the eyes. I also like it's community orientation too. Well done, Vlad!
Attention: Spelling errors in this message are the product of a poor school system. Pay teachures more than athleets.

misterjoker
Registered User
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by misterjoker » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:01 pm

Methen wrote: Which Do you like better
The Old Phpbb web site or this New one?

I myself like the old one w have have it for years and
are use to it.


old... Screw new stuff...
Spam removed>>Jim
Last edited by Jim_UK on Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam removed
The most extreme music we've have ever heard!
- BPM Magazine
---------------------------
Mister Joker
www.misterjoker.com

rreptile
Registered User
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by rreptile » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:58 pm

Eelke wrote: if you want to use banners such as this site, there's no way to have them scale with the width (in pixels) of the screen.


There is a way - with CSS and percentage widths and heights - or by using CSS along with a javascript that detects resolution. Yes, indeed, it's a little trickier but it can be done.
Eelke wrote: If you have bad eye sight, get a 20" monitor


(Do you have shares in hardware - monitors in particular?) It is not always desirable and/or a possible to get new hardware.

For the record, I still prefer the look of the old phpBB site but the coding of the new. The lack of tables for layout is wonderful.
Crueltylizer wrote: Also its to bad that the banner switches between different styles. The frontpage uses a planet drawn digitally, but going to the forum the banner switches to something looking like a handdrawn picture which is out of the place from the frontpage because of the stylechange. It should be changed to a matching style on all pages.


Agreed! (I confess that I had only looked at the forum page before today.) I don't mind the idea of somewhat different banners for each category but the digital planet drawn image on the main page and the banner for the "customize" page really do clash with the other "handdrawn" images. Please choose one style or the other - my vote (as if I get one) is for the handdrawn images, which would mean creating two new banners for the "main" and "customize" pages.
- Reactionary (So... have you backed up your files lately? This is even more important if you're staying with phpBB2)

User avatar
Eelke
QA Team
Posts: 2903
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 8:00 am
Location: NL, Bussum
Name: Eelke Blok
Contact:

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by Eelke » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:36 pm

rreptile wrote:
Eelke wrote: If you have bad eye sight, get a 20" monitor


(Do you have shares in hardware - monitors in particular?) It is not always desirable and/or a possible to get new hardware.

You snipped off the essential bit, you either missed the point or trying to put words into my mouth:
Eelke wrote: [..] and run it at 1024x768 (i.e. make the pixels bigger). Don't run it on 1600x1200 and then try and make things use more pixels

This was about running high screen resolutions and insisting on running websites full screen on them and then "artificially" blowing them up by making them use bigger fonts and so on. Just using a lower screen resolution to make everything bigger seems a lot more sensible to me.

rreptile
Registered User
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by rreptile » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:11 pm

Eelke wrote:
rreptile wrote:
Eelke wrote: If you have bad eye sight, get a 20" monitor


(Do you have shares in hardware - monitors in particular?) It is not always desirable and/or a possible to get new hardware.

You snipped off the essential bit, you either missed the point or trying to put words into my mouth:
Eelke wrote: [..] and run it at 1024x768 (i.e. make the pixels bigger). Don't run it on 1600x1200 and then try and make things use more pixels

This was about running high screen resolutions and insisting on running websites full screen on them and then "artificially" blowing them up by making them use bigger fonts and so on. Just using a lower screen resolution to make everything bigger seems a lot more sensible to me.


I may well have missed the point you were trying to make. I confess that I don't fully understand what you are trying to say. But I don't think I was putting words in your mouth. I was responding to your recommendation for people with bad eye sight to get a 20" monitor. People should not have to get new monitors in order to view this website.

I have a 17" monitor that right now has to be run at 800x600 because the computer crashes if I run it at a higher resolution. This is not a problem for almost all of the websites I visit. However, for this particular website there is a whacking huge scroll because of the very wide banner. I understand that I am in the minority with this resolution.

I have looked at the site at 1024x768 (the resolution I would LIKE to use and will as soon as I can upgrade my computer). I believe that 1024x768 is not uncommon.... There is a largish grey frame around the board. It's not particularly attractive, and I can only imagine that it is even less attractive at an even higher resolution because the border must be even wider.
- Reactionary (So... have you backed up your files lately? This is even more important if you're staying with phpBB2)

User avatar
Eelke
QA Team
Posts: 2903
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 8:00 am
Location: NL, Bussum
Name: Eelke Blok
Contact:

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by Eelke » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:02 am

rreptile wrote: I was responding to your recommendation for people with bad eye sight to get a 20" monitor. People should not have to get new monitors in order to view this website.

That was the point of my previous post, I wasn't recommending to get a bigger monitor, I was recommending to set a lower screen resolution. I should probably just have left out the 20" monitor bit, but in my (limited) experience users with bad eye sight tend to get big monitors.

Essentially, for me we were discussing upscaling of websites, making them wider then the designer intended. You now bring downscaling into the equation, making it narrower than the designer intended. I was not making a case for that, but if you would like me to comment on that, I personally make sure my websites work with 800x600. However, 1024 isn't a huge step up, and as you say yourself, you're probably a minority running at 800x600. It's a shame when you're stuck with a system that can only do 800x600, but going for 1024 is a trend everywhere on the web, not just here. It used to be perfectly fine to surf the web with Windows 3.11 and 640x480. Sorry. I agree that this site seems to be somewhere in the middle, with 800 being too narrow, but 1024 seeming a little too wide.
There is a largish grey frame around the board. It's not particularly attractive, and I can only imagine that it is even less attractive at an even higher resolution because the border must be even wider.

That was the point I was making earlier. Instead of using your high resolution to try and make a website wider than it was intended, use it to show other windows (websites, your email, IM-client, whatever). Some applications, like graphic work or software development, benefit tremendously from big screen sizes. Single websites usually do not.

rreptile
Registered User
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by rreptile » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:17 am

Eelke wrote:
rreptile wrote: I was responding to your recommendation for people with bad eye sight to get a 20" monitor. People should not have to get new monitors in order to view this website.

That was the point of my previous post, I wasn't recommending to get a bigger monitor, I was recommending to set a lower screen resolution. I should probably just have left out the 20" monitor bit, but in my (limited) experience users with bad eye sight tend to get big monitors.


Sorry for the confusion... I had not realized that for the most part, we are in agreement.

However, one should not have to change the resolution or the monitor in order to read a website.
Eelke wrote: Essentially, for me we were discussing upscaling of websites, making them wider then the designer intended. You now bring downscaling into the equation, making it narrower than the designer intended.


I'm not suggesting that the look should be wider or narrower than the designer intended. A cube will be a cube no matter if it fits into the hand or is so large that it will only fit in the foyer of an office building.

Design for the web should ideally be relative. It is not for print; pixels need not be introduced at all for formatting - if part of the site is intended for print then a separate stylesheet should be created. That's the beauty of CSS.

This new phpBB site appears not to have been designed for the www with its several different monitors, browsers and OS. It's close but could be so much closer.

When I finally do get a new computer to allow me to use a much higher resolution on the monitor, it's likely that I will have the browser window partially open on the desktop - effectively making it a window that may well be around 800x600. I guess that means for this site (until they fix it) the browser window will have to be maximized... I'll attempt to maximize it only until the horizontal scroll disappears.
- Reactionary (So... have you backed up your files lately? This is even more important if you're staying with phpBB2)

User avatar
Eelke
QA Team
Posts: 2903
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 8:00 am
Location: NL, Bussum
Name: Eelke Blok
Contact:

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by Eelke » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:45 am

rreptile wrote: Design for the web should ideally be relative. It is not for print; pixels need not be introduced at all for formatting - if part of the site is intended for print then a separate stylesheet should be created. That's the beauty of CSS.

Yes, well, so far for the theory... I still believe that my assertions with regard to pixel graphics remain standing. I'd be interested to see CSS scale a website including graphical elements so that regardless of the viewport, it will keep all its proportions (e.g. distributing graphical buttons along a varying width is one thing, having the buttons themselves also change size is quite another).

camaro92
Registered User
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2002 10:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by camaro92 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:36 pm

Honestly, I REALLY DO NOT LIKE THIS NEW WEBSITE. :-( :-(

The searching of it is HORRIBLE NOW. When you search, the words are so small, and almost looks like it doesn't get any results. You know when you do a search on a msgboard and if it doesn't find anything it searches also GOOGLE, etc and puts it at the bottom of the usual "no results found". These search results are then really small and don't fit with the layout.

That is how I feel with this new searching feature here.

When you DO get a search result, it took me like 2 minutes just to figure out HOW to even go to the thread.. I clicked everywhere.. Then at the very last moment as I was just getting frustrated, I JUST seen this TINY "jump to post" on the FAR bottom right mixed up with other links.

Normally you should be able to just click the cell itself like it was before..
:(

User avatar
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Posts: 7630
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:27 am
Location: Australia
Name: Lachlan Smith
Contact:

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by smithy_dll » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:26 am

camaro92 wrote: Normally you should be able to just click the cell itself like it was before..
:(


It was never like that.

User avatar
Jim_UK
Former Team Member
Posts: 18478
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: Darwen N.West UK

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by Jim_UK » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:32 pm

I have to say that it took me a long while to get used to this new layout. It did not seem natural to have the posters info on the right but of course we spend a lot more time on here than most individuals so we have had more time to get used to it.
It has grown on me and now it feels right.
Of course the finished phpBB3 and prosilver will not look exactly like you see this board and there will be lots of new styles come along.
I am sure that one of the first mods will be to move the user info to the right but maybe by then you will have got used to it and leave it where it is.
Just as subSilver did/does not appeal to all tastes neither would we expect this one to do and I am sure that lots of folks will change the theme when new ones come out. What makes this better than phpBB2 is not obvious to the casual user/ browser of a forum.
It is what is happening out of sight by virtue of extended permissions etc etc that make this a fantastic product and well worth the long wait that you have had.
The developers who are still hard at work getting this ready to go RC1 are to be commended.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

User avatar
Dog Cow
Registered User
Posts: 2494
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:14 am
Contact:

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by Dog Cow » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:36 pm

I liked the old layout better, but I'm getting used to this new design. The first week was tough, learning it all.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

rreptile
Registered User
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Old Phpbb website or this one?

Post by rreptile » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:23 am

Eelke wrote:
rreptile wrote: Design for the web should ideally be relative. It is not for print; pixels need not be introduced at all for formatting - if part of the site is intended for print then a separate stylesheet should be created. That's the beauty of CSS.

Yes, well, so far for the theory... I still believe that my assertions with regard to pixel graphics remain standing. I'd be interested to see CSS scale a website including graphical elements so that regardless of the viewport, it will keep all its proportions (e.g. distributing graphical buttons along a varying width is one thing, having the buttons themselves also change size is quite another).


I think it could be done with percentages. But it would be pretty tricky to do all graphical buttons.... but I think a banner could be done. The coding might go something like:

Code: Select all

<style type="text/css">
#banner {width:98%; margin:auto;}
#banner img {width:100%}
</style>

[...]
<div id="banner"><img src="banner.jpg" alt="banner" /></div>
(Of course, I haven't tested this... so I don't know for sure that it works.)

Or a javascript could be used to detect browser resolution. Something along the lines of "if 800x600, change height and width specs of banner to fit; if 1024x768 change height and width specs of banner to fit; if etc. etc..."
- Reactionary (So... have you backed up your files lately? This is even more important if you're staying with phpBB2)

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”