Daylight Savings Time dates changed

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Post Reply
beatme101
Registered User
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:20 am
Location: The country cold comes from; Canada.
Contact:

Daylight Savings Time dates changed

Post by beatme101 »

So, a while ago the DST dates were suddenly changed. Like alot of you probably did, I heard of this only a couple of days before the time was to change on the new rules. I kept putting it off and eventually only remembered to update the computer after the time changed, so I had to change my clock manually and still apply the fix:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst

If you apply the fix after the time changes, your computer will not automatically change the time for you. You will have to do it manually for that one.

The fix is only available for Windows 2000 Professional and up (Windows 98 users have been given nothing, it's just one of Microsoft's ways of saying "upgrade to Windows Vista so we can slap DRM all over you and cost you hundreds of dollars (almost as much as Vista itself) for a whole new computer that is compatible with it"). Windows 2000 Professional's fix, of course, is the most difficult. You must download a "Time Zone Editor" and go manually change your time zone's DST settings carefully following Microsoft's instructions.

Did anyone else find this extremely frustrating and pointless? You can tell I did. Why did the DST dates change?

SamG
Former Team Member
Posts: 3221
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2001 6:35 pm
Location: Beautiful Northwest Lower Michigan
Name: Sam Graf

Re: Daylight Savings Time dates changed

Post by SamG »

All my XP boxes made the transition seemlessly (thanks to Microsoft Update), and once I had Time Zone Editor in hand my 2K boxes took, what, 2 minutes a piece to update? I guess I didn't see it as a big deal.

As for the law change, it's supposed to save energy.

Hades79
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:14 am

Re: Daylight Savings Time dates changed

Post by Hades79 »

beatme101 wrote: The fix is only available for Windows 2000 Professional and up (Windows 98 users have been given nothing, it's just one of Microsoft's ways of saying "upgrade to Windows Vista so we can slap DRM all over you and cost you hundreds of dollars (almost as much as Vista itself) for a whole new computer that is compatible with it").

Since your username suggests it, I am now taking the option of giving you a beating :P

Just as a reminder, support for Windows 98 has expired a while ago, as is visible if you understand the Support Lifecycle policy: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=lifecycle

So, they're not saying "Upgrade to Windows Vista", but "if you want to run Win98 that's fine, but we're not supporting it anymore". Quite frankly, I think they have every right to do so, or do you slap the phpBB group for no longer supporting phpBB 1.0? Just my 2 cents.

As for the DST change, I'm not affected by it, but I find it quite pointless. Don't ask me why they changed it yet again, but oh well, that's politics.
Back from the dead

imac600
Registered User
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Adelaide, SA

Re: Daylight Savings Time dates changed

Post by imac600 »

Mac OS X users, if you haven't already, download and install the Apple Time Zone Update. Get 10.4.9 while you're there. ;)

Puma/Jaguar/Panther users, try switching on the option to retrieve the time from the Apple Time Server, found in System Preferences > Date & Time. That should keep you up to sync.

beatme101
Registered User
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:20 am
Location: The country cold comes from; Canada.
Contact:

Re: Daylight Savings Time dates changed

Post by beatme101 »

Hades79 wrote: Since your username suggests it, I am now taking the option of giving you a beating :P

Just as a reminder, support for Windows 98 has expired a while ago, as is visible if you understand the Support Lifecycle policy: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=lifecycle

So, they're not saying "Upgrade to Windows Vista", but "if you want to run Win98 that's fine, but we're not supporting it anymore". Quite frankly, I think they have every right to do so, or do you slap the phpBB group for no longer supporting phpBB 1.0? Just my 2 cents.

As for the DST change, I'm not affected by it, but I find it quite pointless. Don't ask me why they changed it yet again, but oh well, that's politics.


Thanks for teh beating. 8)

I knew Windows 98's support expired quite some time ago, and 2000 is nearing it's extended support end. Still, it's a whole operating system.. The free phpBB forum system and the $300+ Windows operating system are a little different in my mind. And I doubt there was a feature loss from phpbb 1 to 2; From 98 to 2000, we lost the ability to choose from colours below 256. Then there's problems with some old DOS porgrams (one of my favourite DOS games (Liero) doesn't get sound on Windows 2000 or XP, another one (Daggerfall) doesn't seem to work at all). On Windows XP, you lose the ability to choose 256 colours, unless you go digging in a difficult to find area. With Microsoft being a multi-billion dollar corporation, I would have thought they could handle releasing a DST fix for one of their older operating systems. They support running it on their Virtual PC product, and have special "Virtual Machine Additions" drivers tailored to it. The Virtual Machine Additions keeps the time in sync with the host operating system, but that doesn't help standalone installations of the older systems.

Speaking of synchronization, my sync program (Through Clock) broke since the time change. Synchronizing my clock turned it back time one hour. This hasn't happenned before, and I suspect it will work again a little later in the year. Did anyone else notice this with their atomic time sync programs?

geocator
Registered User
Posts: 16242
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:56 pm
Location: On dry land
Contact:

Re: Daylight Savings Time dates changed

Post by geocator »

beatme101 wrote: Speaking of synchronization, my sync program (Through Clock) broke since the time change. Synchronizing my clock turned it back time one hour. This hasn't happenned before, and I suspect it will work again a little later in the year. Did anyone else notice this with their atomic time sync programs?

Is this on the windows 98 machine or another? If on windows 98 that makes since. It should be getting the current UTC time and then windows adjusts it accordingly based on the correct offset, and becuase win 98 wont have the correct offset it will be an hour off.

Both my xp and vista computers are working fine with the built in time sync, which operates in the same way.

beatme101
Registered User
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:20 am
Location: The country cold comes from; Canada.
Contact:

Re: Daylight Savings Time dates changed

Post by beatme101 »

geocator wrote:
beatme101 wrote: Speaking of synchronization, my sync program (Through Clock) broke since the time change. Synchronizing my clock turned it back time one hour. This hasn't happenned before, and I suspect it will work again a little later in the year. Did anyone else notice this with their atomic time sync programs?

Is this on the windows 98 machine or another? If on windows 98 that makes since. It should be getting the current UTC time and then windows adjusts it accordingly based on the correct offset, and becuase win 98 wont have the correct offset it will be an hour off.

Both my xp and vista computers are working fine with the built in time sync, which operates in the same way.


The host operating system, Windows 2000 Professional, is what I am having the sync problem with.

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”