Mac OS X Leopard

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Inviz

Mac OS X Leopard

Post by Inviz » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:31 pm

Hey there. I'm a current Windows XP user and I'm really sick and tired of it. I was considering updating to Vista, but I've heard that you have to update almost your entire system in order to do that. So I was looking around for a good operating system and I ended up taking a long look at Macintosh OS X Leopard. It looked like a really nice version of Macintosh and it seemed to be a lot easier to use than Windows. So I was wondering what peoples thoughts on Mac OS X Leopard were. Also, does anyone know when they're planing on releasing Leopard to the public?

geocator

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by geocator » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:51 pm

You can only run OSX on Mac's.

Thatbitextra
Former Team Member
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:52 pm

geocator wrote: You can only run OSX on Mac's.

That's not true.
Styles KB
My MODs: Choose Who to Accept PMs From (Prevents unwanted PMs!) | Warn of Old Topic Before Posting Reply
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)

geocator

Post by geocator » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:53 pm

Thatbitextra wrote:

That's not true.

Please illuminate me :), I am now interested.

Thatbitextra
Former Team Member
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:54 pm

geocator wrote:
Thatbitextra wrote:

That's not true.

Please illuminate me :), I am now interested.

Google osx86. I'm not condoning piracy etc.
Styles KB
My MODs: Choose Who to Accept PMs From (Prevents unwanted PMs!) | Warn of Old Topic Before Posting Reply
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)

geocator

Post by geocator » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:59 pm

Thatbitextra wrote: That's not true.

Please illuminate me :), I am now interested.[/quote]
Google osx86. I'm not condoning piracy etc.[/quote]
Very interesting. I will change my statement. Normal, legal copies of OSX can only run on MACs ;)

Lawofthesnake

Post by Lawofthesnake » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:09 pm

Well if you feel like spending $599 for a mac mini head over to the Apple store however there are free alterntives such as Unbuntu which you can run on your pc for free and have a dual boot if you ever need to go back to windows. The same applies with the mac mini but you'll probably have to buy another copy of XP.

Erisar
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Sarmany

Post by Erisar » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:31 pm

Inviz wrote: So I was wondering what peoples thoughts on Mac OS X Leopard were. Also, does anyone know when they're planing on releasing Leopard to the public?

Leopard will most likely be released on June 11th at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference. Also, while the functionality so far is impressive, I'm very certain Apple will be unveiling many more new features in Leopard before it is released, so stay tuned for that. :)
My Twitter · Erisar Design [Web Development and Graphic Design]

imac600

Post by imac600 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:52 pm

I know my current forum name must really throw my opinion to biased, but it really is easy to use. It works quite well in terms of stability and performance and is suited to just about every need. That's they way it was made. The only term i've heard in favour of Windows is that it has more "Bells & Whistles", also known as extended customisations and tools (like Disk Defragmenter and ScanDisk), but some of these aren't required. I use OS X quite extensively, and do often disk checks which report 5% disk fragmentation. I haven't defragmented this disk since my last format about 1 year ago.

Inviz

Post by Inviz » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:04 am

It's a lot more stable than windows vista though isn't it? I've been taking a look at some places where people are talking about vista and a lot of people seem to be really upset with it. And what about linux? Is there anyone here who's used a linux distribution and mac os x and can tell me which one they think is better? Because I currently use suse 10.2 and windows xp and I'm really not very impressed with either of them.

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:14 am

Inviz wrote: It's a lot more stable than windows vista though isn't it? I've been taking a look at some places where people are talking about vista and a lot of people seem to be really upset with it.

Out of the box, most likely. However, I should say that Vista is, indeed, extremely stable as well. The issues people are upset with are mainly software/driver incompatibility. Not Microsoft's fault, really. XP is extremely stable also if you know how to configure it properly. Before I rebuilt my desktop about 2 weeks ago, it was running at just under 300 days of uptime.

I should note that I won $20 once from a friend who bet me I couldn't crash OS X. :P

In regards to your question, if you really want to be able to use a full range of applications, then OS X (or Windows! :P) is the way to go. Linux has its place, and at this point in time, it's most certainly not a desktop OS.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Quillz
Name: Joseph

Post by Quillz » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:32 am

Inviz wrote: Hey there. I'm a current Windows XP user and I'm really sick and tired of it. I was considering updating to Vista, but I've heard that you have to update almost your entire system in order to do that. So I was looking around for a good operating system and I ended up taking a long look at Macintosh OS X Leopard. It looked like a really nice version of Macintosh and it seemed to be a lot easier to use than Windows. So I was wondering what peoples thoughts on Mac OS X Leopard were. Also, does anyone know when they're planing on releasing Leopard to the public?

I don't know where you got your references from because Vista runs fine on my PC from January '06 and my laptop (with no dedicated graphics card) from August '06. Both run Vista flawlessly, in all its Aero Glass eye candy glory.

That said, I bought an iMac about a month ago and do prefer Mac OS X over Windows, but this is personal preference, and not at all proof that OS X is better. It operates differently, and does some things better than Windows while it does other things worse.

Frankly, why not give Linux a try? Distros like Ubuntu and openSUSE are very simple to install and use. If you've ever used OS X, you'll notice that Linux is quite similar, but generally regarded as more powerful.

Lawofthesnake

Post by Lawofthesnake » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:56 am

I've tried all three and use all three in daily life. I prefer ubuntu then mac os x and then windows which i have all had crashed on me at one point or another. Id love ubuntu more but the main problem here is that there is no software for it.

CiDhed

Post by CiDhed » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:59 am

AdamR wrote: I should note that I won $20 once from a friend who bet me I couldn't crash OS X. :P

This Italian exchange student back about 10 years ago had a freshly built linux box and bet me 20 bucks i couldnt crash it. I told him i could do it without any account info at all.

Side cover was off and i pulled the memory out. kernel panic instantly. :lol:

Linux has its place like you said. I agree with you 100% that Windows and Mac are the best ways to go for a desktop PC. I personally prefer mac but i use windows more.

Gud
Former Team Member

Post by Gud » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:20 am

AdamR wrote: Out of the box, most likely. However, I should say that Vista is, indeed, extremely stable as well. The issues people are upset with are mainly software/driver incompatibility. Not Microsoft's fault, really. XP is extremely stable also if you know how to configure it properly. Before I rebuilt my desktop about 2 weeks ago, it was running at just under 300 days of uptime.

I think our definitions of "extremly stable" differ. ;) 300 days worth of uptime? Patched and updated, I presume? I could barely get that kind of uptime from a properly patched FreeBSD box(which I assume you know about, considering your avatar), which is generally considered to be a stable and secure operating system. :)
AdamR wrote: I should note that I won $20 once from a friend who bet me I couldn't crash OS X. :P

Congratulations.
AdamR wrote: In regards to your question, if you really want to be able to use a full range of applications, then OS X (or Windows! :P) is the way to go. Linux has its place, and at this point in time, it's most certainly not a desktop OS.

That's a quite funny thing to say, considering there are millions of users world wide, and more and more people are switching over to Linux from windows. Ubuntu is both easier to use and manage as a standalone desktop than Windows(albeit I've never used Windows Vista, from what I've heard it's not much better than Windows XP. Time will tell).

Return to “General Discussion”