Mac OS X Leopard

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
User avatar
AdamR
Former Team Member
Posts: 9731
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida
Name: Adam Reyher
Contact:

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by AdamR » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:06 pm

Gud wrote: That's a quite funny thing to say, considering there are millions of users world wide, and more and more people are switching over to Linux from windows. Ubuntu is both easier to use and manage as a standalone desktop than Windows(albeit I've never used Windows Vista, from what I've heard it's not much better than Windows XP. Time will tell).


Please note that I said "full range of applications." That's what I consider as a desktop OS. From media creation (Adobe Suite-type applications) to games to DVD/CD burning apps, there's a huge chunk of software that's used on a daily basis by a substantial portion of the population that's not available on Linux, or rather, aren't available that give you the same power, ease of use, and control as on Windows or OS X. OS X has this and is getting more every day. Linux is progressing as well. However, for the time being you cannot run a full spectrum of applications on it.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

roberts_seb
Registered User
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:58 pm

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by roberts_seb » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:38 pm

So it is possible to dual boot Windows with Linux?

Rather then Mac with Windows..

Seb.

User avatar
AdamR
Former Team Member
Posts: 9731
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida
Name: Adam Reyher
Contact:

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by AdamR » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:50 pm

roberts_seb wrote: So it is possible to dual boot Windows with Linux?


Yes, one of my desktops dual boots XP and Ubuntu. I find it annoying to have to keep rebooting to switch OSs (and unwilling to sacrifice resources doing a virtual boot), so I have a total of 3 machines. My laptop boots Vista Ultimate for my work/school and development projects, one desktop runs XPand is primarily acting as a file server (and Media Center server), and my gaming machine. My other desktop runs Ubuntu and is just a play yard, though I'd like to get it up and running as a web server. :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

roberts_seb
Registered User
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:58 pm

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by roberts_seb » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:55 pm

one of my desktops dual boots XP and Ubuntu


This is what i want to do with my desktop, do you not recomend it then?

The desktop that i want to do it on is a Media Center machine, but i don't use it for that :D

I have also a new Mac that i was thinking of Dual booting, but still putting it off for some reason,

Seb.

Gud
Former Team Member
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2001 11:02 am

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by Gud » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:26 pm

AdamR wrote: Please note that I said "full range of applications." That's what I consider as a desktop OS. From media creation (Adobe Suite-type applications) to games to DVD/CD burning apps, there's a huge chunk of software that's used on a daily basis by a substantial portion of the population that's not available on Linux, or rather, aren't available that give you the same power, ease of use, and control as on Windows or OS X. OS X has this and is getting more every day. Linux is progressing as well. However, for the time being you cannot run a full spectrum of applications on it.


So how come there are millions of users if it's not a viable option? Exactly what software is lacking that makes running Linux on the desktop a bad idea?
AdamR wrote: My other desktop runs Ubuntu
My other desktop runs Ubuntu
My other desktop runs Ubuntu
My other desktop runs Ubuntu


So, wait a minute. All the sudden it's usable on the desktop?

User avatar
CiDhed
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:24 am

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by CiDhed » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:02 am

Microsoft has a monopoly on the market and makes it where some web sites and media files will not work correctly if not running on the latest supported version of windows. This makes it hard to switch for some users. Every computer out of the 700 computer network for the car dealer i work for REQUIRES active x to run company and finance based applications. If it wasnt for that we wouldnt need windows.

User avatar
AdamR
Former Team Member
Posts: 9731
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida
Name: Adam Reyher
Contact:

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by AdamR » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:01 am

Gud wrote: So how come there are millions of users if it's not a viable option? Exactly what software is lacking that makes running Linux on the desktop a bad idea?


You've once again completely missed what I wrote. I said "full range of applications." I already stated this. I already listed a few categories of applications which are lacking on Linux. I'd rather not repeat myself.
So, wait a minute. All the sudden it's usable on the desktop?


You obviously don't know how to take things in the context in which they are written. In this case I was using the word "desktop" to refer to the large rectangular box which sits on top of my desk. Or perhaps I should call it an Underdesk PC as it is, in fact, sitting on the floor under my desk.

When I used "desktop" with "OS" as the after-word, this context represents an operating system which can be used exclusively for everyday tasks, whether they may be basic, "power user," or media creation hobbyist in nature.

You also failed to read the circumstances in which I will use this machine running Ubuntu. Again, I won't repeat myself. Though, do you need me to define "play yard?"

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Gud
Former Team Member
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2001 11:02 am

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by Gud » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:54 am

AdamR wrote: You've once again completely missed what I wrote. I said "full range of applications." I already stated this. I already listed a few categories of applications which are lacking on Linux. I'd rather not repeat myself.


No, I didn't miss your point. It's just that your definition of "desktop OS" is wrong. You don't need a "full range of applications" to be aviable for an operating system to be usable on the desktop. Grandma doesn't need 3DSMAX to check her e-mail. If all the millions of users using Linux on the computer isn't using a desktop OS to check their e-mail, browse the web and pay their bills, what are they using?
AdamR wrote: You obviously don't know how to take things in the context in which they are written. In this case I was using the word "desktop" to refer to the large rectangular box which sits on top of my desk. Or perhaps I should call it an Underdesk PC as it is, in fact, sitting on the floor under my desk.


I suppose you would want your butt ugly PC hidden under the desk. 8)
AdamR wrote: When I used "desktop" with "OS" as the after-word, this context represents an operating system which can be used exclusively for everyday tasks, whether they may be basic, "power user," or media creation hobbyist in nature.


And this is where you are wrong. A desktop OS doesn't have to cater to everyones needs to be considered a desktop OS. Many music professionals need to use a OS X because Logic Pro only exists for OS X, so by your logic Windows isn't a desktop OS because some "power users" are unable to use it?

User avatar
CiDhed
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:24 am

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by CiDhed » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:06 am

This is a really dumb and pointless 3rd grade argument. :roll:

User avatar
Erisar
Former Team Member
Posts: 4270
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:01 pm
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Name: Eric Sarmany
Contact:

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by Erisar » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:25 pm

Let's please try to keep this thread on topic of the original post, so not to turn it into another my-OS-is-the-best and your-OS-sucks thread. Thanks.
My Twitter · Erisar Design [Web Development and Graphic Design]

fickleflame
Registered User
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:28 pm

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by fickleflame » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:56 pm

Currently I use ...

Windows Vista - Main Desktop (Email, Office, Adobe Applications, and for Surfing the Web :)
Ubuntu Dapper Drake Dual Boot - For gaming both Linux games and Win Games using WINE.

To answer the original post by Invis.

Mac OSX Leopard promises to offer exciting new features and performance for the everyday user. Interoperability between Windows/Mac has gotten better in past years, but where there is non you can always take your old Windows XP license and install XP using Boot Camp on your Mac. User experience is always rated high on the Mac, and many people find that the Mac is much more stable. However, disregard any claims of Mac never crashing, and also disregard any claims that XP does any but crash. Both Operating Systems are built using the same hardware so issues come down to how much tinkering you do, and what kind of stress you put on your system.

Things to ask yourself when trying to decide between the two...

Is it in my budget?
Does it run all the applications I will need for school/work/play?
What is the cost of ownership?
Does the model have a good reliability rating?
What issues have other users had with OS/Mac Hardware?
How long will it take to learn?
Susceptibility to Virus's and Malware, and if moderate, how hard is it to remove said virus/malware?
What will repair costs come to if something breaks?
Is there a warranty?

Most people on this forum have tried to give a good comparison of -- others have expressed outright hatred for Mac/Win/Linux. I have used over 32 different Operating Systems for various reasons over the years ranging from Windows to Linux to Mac to Unix and many command line OS's. And it all comes down to purpose and need. Use a Mac if you believe it will be purposeful and fit your needs better than Windows. No one operating system is perfect and any who claims theirs is better is a self diluted egotistical never been laid idiot.

Finally, if you truly want to see if a Mac is right for you, go to a Mac store or CompUSA and try one out.

SAK `
Registered User
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: Places where authorities can't see me.
Contact:

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by SAK ` » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:36 pm

Only thing I ever been good at is running 10.4 Tiger on PearPC with Vista as the primary. I already noticed some changes within the primary OS and the emulator.

steve/PXC
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007

User avatar
Anon
Former Team Member
Posts: 7019
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:33 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by Anon » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:46 am

Well, it won't run on my generic x86 computer, even though there's no technical reason for it not to. For that reason alone I won't get one. If I could run it legally with full support on my current computer, I'd consider it but until then I won't. If I really wanted to ditch windows, it'd be easier at this point to go with something like suse, fedora or [k]ubuntu rather than spend $2000 for a decent mac

User avatar
AdamR
Former Team Member
Posts: 9731
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida
Name: Adam Reyher
Contact:

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by AdamR » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:00 am

Anon wrote: If I could run it legally with full support on my current computer, I'd consider it but until then I won't.=c


Of course, that's most likely never going to happen as a good number of people (ie, geeks, power users) would be building their own system from scratch then installing OS X rather than buying an Apple machine to save money. Only allowing OS X to run on an Apple machine is the only way Apple can hold on to a significant portion of their profit.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

User avatar
Quillz
Registered User
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:47 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Name: Joseph
Contact:

Re: Mac OS X Leopard

Post by Quillz » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:43 pm

AdamR wrote:
Gud wrote: That's a quite funny thing to say, considering there are millions of users world wide, and more and more people are switching over to Linux from windows. Ubuntu is both easier to use and manage as a standalone desktop than Windows(albeit I've never used Windows Vista, from what I've heard it's not much better than Windows XP. Time will tell).


Please note that I said "full range of applications." That's what I consider as a desktop OS. From media creation (Adobe Suite-type applications) to games to DVD/CD burning apps, there's a huge chunk of software that's used on a daily basis by a substantial portion of the population that's not available on Linux, or rather, aren't available that give you the same power, ease of use, and control as on Windows or OS X. OS X has this and is getting more every day. Linux is progressing as well. However, for the time being you cannot run a full spectrum of applications on it.

- Adam

Have you even used Linux? For image editing, you have GIMP, Inkscape, Gwenview and many others. I admit that there aren't many native Linux games, but have you not tried WINE or Cedega? And for DVD/CD burning, I doubt you'll find anything much better than K3b on any platform.

Linux may not be your cup of tea, but it has just as many applications available for it as any other OS, but the categorization is different. There are fewer games but much more available in other fields. Also, I don't see Windows giving you Office for free. Just about any Linux distro gives you OpenOffice.org or KOffice, so you can actually be productive from the get-go, instead of wasting time buying Microsoft Office.

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”