Apple TV

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Lawofthesnake

Apple TV

Post by Lawofthesnake »

Yesterday Apple launched Apple TV which connects a mac or pc to your television via a fancy looking box that costs USD $299. Many other companies have tried similar things but have failed. Apple is relying on their cult following of their product, iTunes only integration, and pressure on studios to promote and develop things for iTunes to AppleTV.

I really don't have much intrest in this product but people are estimating they will ship up to six million units this year alone.

The product also only features support for mac os x 10.3.9 and up and Windows XP Sp2 only.

Is Apple going the wrong way here?

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Re: Apple TV

Post by AdamR »

I think Apple is going the right way with Apple TV, but I was severely disappointed when I found out that you cannot record TV, play DVDs/CDs, etc. This, in my opinion, is a big downside to it. It looks nice, yeah, but Windows Media Center has a lot more functionality.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Lawofthesnake

Post by Lawofthesnake »

That may be true but i think its going one thing that windows doesnt, the marketing campaign for it which may be exploding soon.

Well maybe they will listen to the consumers and iTunes will have DVD and CD support for Apple TV :/

One can hope.

beatme101

Post by beatme101 »

So wait, it's some kind of $300 version of the $30 TV tuners out there? I can get a great USB TV tuner from Factory Direct for $30-$80 (the one that costs $80 is the size of a USB thumb drive). I have two old PCI TV tuners that I'll bet didn't cost very much. With any of these non-Apple products, I can watch TV on my computer, and record it in any format I want with any codecs I want for playback any time I want in any program I want.

I don't know what the USB devices support, but my PCI devices support any version of Windows from Windows 98 to Windows 2000 Professional SP4 (Although I would imagine they work with Windows XP, Windows Vista seems iffy).

imac600

Post by imac600 »

The Apple TV doesn't allow you to watch TV on your computer, it's a set top box that mirrors all of your media content to your TV. It's a direct accompanying product to the iTunes Store. Download a movie, sit down on the couch and watch it via Apple TV, connected to the PC/Mac via 802.11n wireless networking.

DreAdeDcoRpSE

Post by DreAdeDcoRpSE »

The two things that sortof bugs me a little is that

1. You can not use anything but stuff from itunes. Basically cant use your stuff.
2. comes with no cables.

Basically what i got from it is its a big hard drive that stores music and movies purchesed from itunes. Also you need to have a wide screen tv if you attach it to a tv. Not a bad concept but they need to think about more what is going to apeal to the public. I personally will not go out and spend $300 bucks or so for it. to me its not worth it.

beatme101

Post by beatme101 »

imac600 wrote: The Apple TV doesn't allow you to watch TV on your computer, it's a set top box that mirrors all of your media content to your TV. It's a direct accompanying product to the iTunes Store. Download a movie, sit down on the couch and watch it via Apple TV, connected to the PC/Mac via 802.11n wireless networking.

Oh, I see, how original. Factory Direct sells alot of <$100 video cards that can plug into the TV (s-video out, usually comes with a composite video (RCA) convert cable), and since the computer sees that as a dual monitor situation you can display anything you want on your TV straight from your computer.

Again.. Anything I want, any time I want. Oh, and they work with ALOT more operating systems than even the TV tuners do (I believe there are 3rd party Linux drivers for some of them).

CiDhed

Post by CiDhed »

beatme101 wrote:
imac600 wrote: The Apple TV doesn't allow you to watch TV on your computer, it's a set top box that mirrors all of your media content to your TV. It's a direct accompanying product to the iTunes Store. Download a movie, sit down on the couch and watch it via Apple TV, connected to the PC/Mac via 802.11n wireless networking.

Oh, I see, how original. Factory Direct sells alot of <$100 video cards that can plug into the TV (s-video out, usually comes with a composite video (RCA) convert cable), and since the computer sees that as a dual monitor situation you can display anything you want on your TV straight from your computer.

Again.. Anything I want, any time I want. Oh, and they work with ALOT more operating systems than even the TV tuners do (I believe there are 3rd party Linux drivers for some of them).

This isn't the same thing as a video card that plugs into your tv nor will it be that low of quality. This is alot like what you can do with the XBox 360 and Windows Media Center.

There is no point, however, in arguing with a person that is in bed with MS.

Erisar
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Sarmany

Post by Erisar »

AdamR wrote: I think Apple is going the right way with Apple TV, but I was severely disappointed when I found out that you cannot record TV, play DVDs/CDs, etc. This, in my opinion, is a big downside to it. It looks nice, yeah, but Windows Media Center has a lot more functionality.

- Adam

I agree completely with this. The Apple TV is cool and all, but still overpriced for what it is.
beatme101 wrote: Oh, I see, how original. Factory Direct sells alot of <$100 video cards that can plug into the TV (s-video out, usually comes with a composite video (RCA) convert cable), and since the computer sees that as a dual monitor situation you can display anything you want on your TV straight from your computer.

The Apple TV doesn't use S-Video or composite connections; it uses a high definition HDMI or component connection for video and optional digital optical connection for audio. And (as they did with the Airport Express for sound) I'm sure someone will create a software that will let you send other sources of video to the Apple TV.
My Twitter · Erisar Design [Web Development and Graphic Design]

imac600

Post by imac600 »

Another tip is the reason Apple TV only works with iTunes is a 50/50 situation. Windows Media Player doesn't have that kind of support built in, and never will, plus it would probably run so badly Apple wouldn't dare allowing it to run in WMP anyway. WMP won't take it, Apple doesn't offer it.

It's like saying you can install an NVidia card, but it's not fair because you can't use ATI drivers with it. iTunes basically is the driver for Apple TV, and afaik, WMP is the incompatible one.

Drago_Drake

Post by Drago_Drake »

imac600 wrote: Another tip is the reason Apple TV only works with iTunes is a 50/50 situation. Windows Media Player doesn't have that kind of support built in, and never will, plus it would probably run so badly Apple wouldn't dare allowing it to run in WMP anyway. WMP won't take it, Apple doesn't offer it.

It's like saying you can install an NVidia card, but it's not fair because you can't use ATI drivers with it. iTunes basically is the driver for Apple TV, and afaik, WMP is the incompatible one.

And yet if Microsoft were to do what Apple is doing they would be thrown before Courts for being 'Anti-Competitive'. Got to love the justice in the world. ;-)

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

iTunes is not the "driver", it is a sophisticated piece of software in itself. WMP, and many other software products do offer the capability to synchronise with external devices, it is Apple who have decided not to open their connection software to third party developers.
Roberdin

imac600

Post by imac600 »

I was speaking metaphorically, only comparing it to drivers. Basically iTunes transmits the packets outward to the Apple TV, so I suppose comparing it to a Server would have been more accurate.

Apple indeed has chosen to keep a closed source for the system, but from experience I can't really blame them. I gave up on WMP, RealPlayer, MusicMatch Jukebox, etc a long time ago. Winamp may hold some ground on the Windows platform, but apart from that it's iTunes.

Strictly IMHO of course. I'm not stating this as fact.

CiDhed

Post by CiDhed »

Like i said before. Its equivalent to a Windows Media Center PC and a XBOX 360. Just cheaper.

Before everyone yells at me and tells me the 360 can play games they also need to take into consideration that you have to have Windows Media Center PC and that version of windows costs a decent amount more then XP home and OS X.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Ah, but anyone running Windows Vista Home Premium or Ultimate will be able to use the Media Centre included in that. I wouldn't be surprise if the OEM versions of those are cheaper than XP Media Centre edition (much cheaper than the boxed versions, at least) - though probably not as cheap as the Apple TV. But if you're upgrading anyway...
Roberdin

Return to “General Discussion”