Your Opinion on Vista?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
www.teamhcn.com

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by www.teamhcn.com »

...getting back on-topic...

Windows Vista has been and continues to be an undisputed disaster for Microsoft. Despite Redmond's draconian attempts to squash the XP bug once and for all, PC manufacturers like Dell have actually done a 180º, and gone back to offering XP-based computers. This is most likely because of continued consumer demand for XP, combined with a growing dissatisfaction with Microsoft's latest bloatware.
Site | Forums
=HCN= Team Cyanide
"After one taste of us, you're already dead."
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

www.teamhcn.com wrote:... For running Vista without Aero – which wouldn't be a fair comparison, given the raft of graphical bells and whistles OSX has had since Tiger (for nearly 3 years now!).
Might I bring to your attention that there is no loss of core functionality without Aero. Also, in order for you to get the "full OS X" experience, you'd require a 1.6Ghz CPU, 1GB+ of RAM, and 12GB HDD space.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

I'm running Aero on a 4 year old system. The two OS's in terms of requirements are very much on par with each other. If you're seriously suggesting that each OS can be compared in terms of system requirements apples for apples, you're gravely misunderstanding the purposes of each OS ...

All I'm saying is that each OS is on par with where the hardware technology current sits and in ratio to what was available when the previous version shipped.

Heck, Tiger only required a 300Mhz CPU, 256MB RAM and 4GB HDD space. When did those extra requirements become needed? Oh, that's right ... hardware progression.
True, but the point is, my Mac can still perform those tasks, and most of the time it's not ridiculously slow. Rendering is largely CPU-dependent, so any professional environment will naturally want to have the fastest hardware available. There are a lot of large studios still using G4s as production machines for editorial design and digital imaging, however. They use them because they are fast and most of all, reliable. I've owned 3 Macs in my lifetime, each for an average of 5 years, and only one of them ever needed to go to the shop (once, for minor repairs).
I can say the same for all of my custom built machines. Never once has one ever been in the shop, and I never turn my computers off (not even sleep mode, nor HDD inactivity shutoffs) ... and I've had very few hardware failures. I beat the crap out of my computers in terms of useage.
Get Parallels Desktop – problem solved. No more rebooting. Macs in general are more expensive, justifiably, because they are completely different beasts than most Windows-based clones. Yes, you pay for the design, but also quality, the R&D spent on improving the OSX UI and system performance, and the computer hardware itself – to mention nothing of all the software that comes bundled with OSX. 3x as expensive as a PC? I doubt it. When you're getting into Mac Pro territory and building a graphics workstation, the price gap tends to get smaller and smaller.
Not really. Try multitasking with 14 applications, VS2005, Avid Liquid with HD footage, all in a virtual environment (Parallels) on an iMac with 1GB of RAM, at the same time as playing music in iTunes and surving 28 different web pages in Safari (as I am in Firefox right now), may of which consist of 8+ MP digital photos without seeing major slowdowns and setbacks....

That's the performance I need. A Mac Pro would be the only system for me. It would cost close to $3,700.

On the other side of the pond, I could build a more powerful PC custom for around $1.9k. The software I require is on the Final Cut Studio 2 level ($700, after student discount). Meanwhile, I can get access to most of Adobe's suites for free from my college (or around $350 with discount).
That simply isn't true. The biggest reason Windows users continue buying PCs (and Mac users continue buying Macs) is because they've become used to one particular way of doing things. People become set in their ways, and ignorant of, or resistant to, change.
Windows Vista has been and continues to be an undisputed disaster for Microsoft. Despite Redmond's draconian attempts to squash the XP bug once and for all, PC manufacturers like Dell have actually done a 180º, and gone back to offering XP-based computers. This is most likely because of continued consumer demand for XP, combined with a growing dissatisfaction with Microsoft's latest bloatware.
You basically proved your own point. People don't like Vista because it's different ... to a large degree. I for one highly welcome the change. Vista is hardly bloatware. I've had absolutely zero issues with it, minus a small NIC card incompatibility, which was quickly fixed. I'm running it on 5 machines. It works fine. It's the idiot users who mess things up and think that zOMGSpyWareRemover will solve all their problems or, in light of the recent OS X trojan, "Oh, I think I'll enter my root password."

Mind explaining to me why OS X had a kernel panic upon trying to install the OS from scratch on a friends computer the other day after installing a fresh HDD? Hardware incompatibilities in OS X exist too, you know. And it doesn't work flawlessly as advertised. ;)
It's also wrong to say that OSX doesn't offer anything for power users – any geek worth his pocket protectors will know that you can do a heck of a lot more with UNIX in Terminal than you can with Vista's wrinkly DOS underpinnings. Lastly, most Mac users do a lot more than surf the Internet and check email. The vast majority of creative professionals, with the possible exception of the 3D graphics industry, rely on Macs.
And as you pointed out yourself, creative professionals don't keep their computers for 6+ years. We're talking about two completely separate groups of people here. The fact of the matter is, as I stated before, that most common, every day, Mac users hardly anything more than surf, email, and occasional photo editing.
I've talked with IT managers at many different studios, and all of them say that the reason they use Macs instead of PCs is because Macs are more intuitive, more secure, and less prone to failure. Macs aren't some quaint little word processors for computer n00bs, they're extremely powerful machines that just happen to be better designed and more intuitive than their Windows-based counterparts.
Mac will gain a higher marketshare in the near future and rightfully so. They're good machines, don't get me wrong. But you need to realize that very soon, they won't be quite as secure. Also, the security of the users is dependent on whether or not the Mac user does the proper updates when prompted. The same is true on Windows systems. And you and I both know that most people don't update or update properly when told... In recent past, even the Linux kernel has seen its share of very serious security holes. I don't care if it's Linux or UNIX or Windows or whatever ... it has security holes. The same thing happened when Firefox gained popularity. The same thing happened with phpBB, vBulletin, IPB, AwStats, Wordpress, heck, even the PHP language itself, ...., shall I go on?

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
ant01

Post by ant01 »

I recently bought a laptop with Vista and prefer it to XP but I am amazed at the resources it uses. I am have for a long time wanted to change to a different operating system but microsoft have everything so tied up it is almost imposible.
1. Considered Linux and experimented for a while but got frustrated in learning a new operating system and alos integrating it with Microsoft as my other computers run Microsoft.
2. My kids play games and everything is tied up on a network so it makes it more difficult.
3. Considered buying apple, but the cost and reasons mentioned before made it unattractive.

All said, I still believe that unless their is a drive to support other alternatives, Microsoft will continue to dominate the market and ripoff consumers.

HOW!!!!!!!! :?
andy-w

Post by andy-w »

People still dont understand the difference between an operating system and a GUI.
M$ Vista is a GUI. Not an operating system. Just because the US law courts are stupid doesn't mean you have to be.

Do you change your car every time Ford offers the same model in new colours?

Don't go no faster - uses more fuel; - gotta throw away most of your detailing and add-ons (applications) cause they dont work properly no more - gotta buy extra oil and stuff under the bonnet or the car is so heavy it cant do what it did before you swapped it ... do I need to go on... OH yes - lets not forget all those places M$ has hidden secret keys to your ignition so they can get inside your car without telling you anytime the NSA wants them to.

What exactly can Vista do that even Windows-98 can't? And if you can name something are you talking about an operating system function or an application that lives inside a GUI application called vista that could just as easily run on Windows-98 if they could be bothered.

Remember doom-3 ?

And... oh yes - there's a new colour coming out next year. That'll save us fixing up the blemishes in this one.
Isnt it time to ask, "what can it DO for me I can't already do" before you start swapping operating systems.

Vista is a collection of application programs almost nobody actually needs.
NightSky

Post by NightSky »

I'm using openSUSE for at least a year now and very glad with my decision to switch to the open source solution. I don't like to be told by a operation system what to do and don't want to be controlled by Software Developer. I'm afraid it will get even worse with the next windows version....

p.s.: Asta la vista, Vista! ;)
dellsystem
Former Team Member
Name: Wendy

Post by dellsystem »

i never really liked vista, even when I had the option of using it I preferred XP, mostly due to software compatibility and the like. Still, I agree with NightSky - I'd rather go with open source, just because open source > anything else :D
Last edited by dellsystem on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: bah
Former moderator and website team member | My MODs, and more (GitHub)
Avaya

Post by Avaya »

I find it really interesting that even the Apple computer commercial is poking fun at how people who are purchasing new computers are requesting / or even going back to, XP. Man, what a clunker of an OS.
My website: SixSeventyOne.net
Get the best! Browse with Image
meeero

Post by meeero »

whatever my personal opinion on ms vista is, here i just don't even need to try to buy a computer/laptop/pda, etc.. without a pre-installed windows vista. it's simply impossible, you can't buy such a thing without any operating system or without windows...
NightSky

Post by NightSky »

You don't have to buy you a ready pc, it's not hard to buy the components by yourself and put them together or ask a friend if you are afraid to break something.
joni

Post by joni »

When I purchased my dell `puter around 6 months ago it automatically came with Vista installed. I had XP only before that on my old one, and to be honest I don`t see a lot of difference. I did have problems with the incompatability of the driver though, which still isn`t really resolved.

As for browers, I use Firefox most of the time, still prefer it to IE. ;)
Xboxsosmart

Post by Xboxsosmart »

Vista, ah Vista.

I use Win Vista Ultimate.

It rocks, and I can't seem to find any bugs :D
Alexx01

Post by Alexx01 »

vista may have a lot of graphic features, but the system requirements the same: a lot :)

i only tested vista for 1 day, before restoring my xp professional image. on full graphics it bearly moved (i have 1GB RAM, P4 -3,2MHz). I see nothing at vista to convince to let go of XP (not yet anyway).
Xboxsosmart

Post by Xboxsosmart »

If you want to test-drive vista-go here: http://www.windowsvistatestdrive.com
Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp »

Ewwwww

Found this on another site posted by a user but source is not confirmed:

"Devil Mountain researchers ran a mix of tests comparing existing versions of the operating systems -- the original Vista and XP SP2 -- and versions that had been patched with the latest updates -- Vista SP1 beta and XP SP3 beta. Tests were also run on machines with 1 Gbyte and 2 Gbytes of memory.

Windows XP trounced Windows Vista in all tests -- regardless of the versions used or the amount of memory running on the computer. In fact, XP proved to be roughly twice as fast as Vista in most of the tests.

For instance, notebooks running Vista SP1 took more than 80 seconds to complete a series of Office tasks in the OfficeBench test suite, while notebooks running Windows XP SP2 completed the tasks in just over 40 seconds.

What's more, the tests showed that the resource-hungry Vista gobbles up most of the additional RAM added to a computer. By upgrading a notebook running Vista SP1 from 1 Gbyte to 2 Gbytes of memory, "we managed to achieve a 'whopping' 4% improvement in OfficeBench throughput," the researchers noted."
The box said 'You need Windows XP or better' .... so I installed linux.

Formerly Drugs
NightSky

Post by NightSky »

I've got an interesting video which is dealing with this new thread of software and hardware trying to control you, it should be seen by every one . It shows where we are going to new with the new technologies, although this video deals with hardware but microsoft supports this technique so it's also relevant to the new operating system.

Have fun watching it: http://www.stage6.com/user/Neillithan/v ... ated-Short

Return to “General Discussion”