Your Opinion on Vista?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
G.l

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by G.l » Thu May 17, 2007 12:33 am

I like Vista's interface. :) which is much much better than XP and windows 2000. It do eat up too much RAM ,But just buy another memory chip is fine(it dont cost too much):P ;)
Anyway upgraded thing is better than old one in most of time I think. So I will keep upgrading before im tired of them :D..

beatme101

Post by beatme101 » Thu May 17, 2007 2:35 am

smithy_dll wrote: DRM - where? I can move my data wherever I please and vista has never stopped me.
Stability - seems stable to me. I mean it is not really comparable to windows Me because it had critical multi-tasking and memory issues that the NT kernel doesn't suffer from.
So you are unaware that with Vista, Microsoft can revoke your ability to use any particular device (or at least the drivers for it, either way rendering your hardware inoperable until an updated driver comes out that fixes what Microsoft became upset about) in your computer, or your entire operating system whenever they want? They can do it if they decide that you have done something illegal, or if they decide that you are able to do something illegal, or if somebody else has done something illegal with hardware that you also have.

They can also disable your operating system by accident. Have you heard of all the problems people have had with "Genuine Advantage"? Microsoft's software accidentally claiming that thousands upon thousands of copies of Windows are illegal, disabling most downloads from their site (I think one of those things disabled was Windows Update).

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Thu May 17, 2007 3:56 am

beatme101 wrote: They can also disable your operating system by accident. Have you heard of all the problems people have had with "Genuine Advantage"? Microsoft's software accidentally claiming that thousands upon thousands of copies of Windows are illegal, disabling most downloads from their site (I think one of those things disabled was Windows Update).
Actually it happened to me. No more than 5-10 minutes on the phone solved it. It's really not that big of a deal.

And I don't plan on doing anything illegal, so why should I care if they threaten to disable my OS if I do?

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Gud
Former Team Member

Post by Gud » Thu May 17, 2007 6:59 am

AdamR wrote: Actually it happened to me. No more than 5-10 minutes on the phone solved it. It's really not that big of a deal.
That is 10 minutes of your life you will never get back.
AdamR wrote: And I don't plan on doing anything illegal, so why should I care if they threaten to disable my OS if I do?
They can and will disable your computer if they suspect that you are doing something illegal(or against their EULA).

By the way, aren't you using FreeBSD? ;)

beatme101

Post by beatme101 » Thu May 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Gud wrote:
AdamR wrote: And I don't plan on doing anything illegal, so why should I care if they threaten to disable my OS if I do?
They can and will disable your computer if they suspect that you are doing something illegal(or against their EULA).
They can also disable pieces of your hardware if someone else does something illegal (particularly with breaking their "premium content" DRM scheme) with hardware that you also have. Thanks to your internet connection, Microsoft has more control over your operating system than you do.

voyager1337

Post by voyager1337 » Thu May 17, 2007 12:16 pm

Windows Bloat Buster.

It has nothing but crap that no one really needs (unless you like things looking oh so pretty) apart from DX10 for gaming.

AdamR
Former Team Member

Post by AdamR » Thu May 17, 2007 3:13 pm

Gud wrote: That is 10 minutes of your life you will never get back.
No, not really. I was able to progress with the work I was trying to do on my second computer. And people, please don't tell me you've never spent 10 minutes in OS X or *nix doing something that completely should not have happened, but it did?
Again, like I said, nothing more than a 10 minute phone call won't solve.
By the way, aren't you using FreeBSD? ;)
On another machine I am, but my laptop runs Vista, and my desktop will soon as well. ;)
It has nothing but crap that no one really needs (unless you like things looking oh so pretty) apart from DX10 for gaming.
Such as? Discussion really isn't aided by leaving out information that could otherwise help support your case.

- Adam
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

voyager1337

Post by voyager1337 » Thu May 17, 2007 3:19 pm

AdamR wrote: Such as? Discussion really isn't aided by leaving out information that could otherwise help support your case.

- Adam
I don't think their is anything to add, it has nothing that XP can't already do which is why they don't want to release DX10 for it.

If someone wants to hog up their systems resources on a computer so it looks pretty then you can do all that 3d desktop rubbish with XP too
Last edited by voyager1337 on Thu May 17, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin » Thu May 17, 2007 4:46 pm

I decide which Windows Updates are installed, not Microsoft. I simply didn't install WGA, since it is unnecessary.
Roberdin

AdamR
Former Team Member

Post by AdamR » Thu May 17, 2007 5:02 pm

voyager1337 wrote: If someone wants to hog up their systems resources on a computer that looks pretty then you can do all that 3d desktop rubbish with XP too
This whole thing about system resources has been completely blown out of proportion. There's few key issues here.

1) You're assuming that technology has not progressed in terms of hardware. This is completely false and if you believe this, the furthering of technology in the home and consumer market is seriously hindered. My 2001 P4 1.5Ghz/512MB RAM machine ran Vista perfectly fine. People are screaming that system requirements have gone up on software and fail to realize that hardware has progressed even farther than software in the same amount of time. Moore's Law is being surpassed in many cases. I'm not saying that everyone should upgrade to Vista. If you don't have a computer that can support its requirements, then XP or 2000 is perfectly fine for you. In many cases XP or 2000 on the latest or greatest hardware is perfectly fine too. Forcing change is not a bad thing.

I had a customer in Best Buy come up to me yesterday asking where the VHS movies were. I explained very nicely that VHS was old technology and has otherwise been entiely replaced with DVD. I wasn't going to get into the Blu-ray/HD-DVD segment. ;) I encouraged her to talk to someone in the Home Theater department so they could set her up with a DVD player so she could enjoy movies. She did so.

Now, I supplied her with information and, in a way, the industry forced her to upgrade to DVDs as the VHS technology was outdated and old. If everyone in the world was like her, we would probably still be using 8-tracks now.

2) Just because you don't use some of the features in Vista (which I still haven't seen any direct examples that would be considered "bloat" and "crap"), doesn't mean other people won't. I work at Best Buy selling Cameras and Camcorders and have on many occasions pointed out that Vista can capture video from Camcorders (as can XP, but not as well) and also record those to DVD (which XP cannot do without third-party software). Most of the time, they didn't even know XP could do that, or if they're using Vista, that it had that capability built in. WMM and WDVDM are fairly straightforward and easy to use. What I have provided for these customers is information and encouragement to try out new technology.

Take me for example: I personally knew absolutely nothing about cameras or how to take any kind of a decent photo until I tried it out borrowing a friend's camera. I said to myself, "Hey! This is fun!", began playing around a bit more, reading more information, and 2 years later I'm almost ready to put out $2500 on a Canon 5D and $1.5k lens. Outrageous? Many people think so. I have many customers walk in, point to the $3700 5D package we have and say "Who would spend that kind of money on a camera?" I like to smile politely and say "Me." Even though I have purchased and own the full version of Adobe's Premiere Pro 2.0, I still get a lot of use out of Vista's media creation features. I can't imagine I'm the only one. Again, I as myself as an example played around with WMM for the heck of it, and 2 years later I'm buying $1,500 Adobe software suites. I certainly believe that there are some people out there who try out this stuff for the first time that they never knew was there will in time use it to a great extent.

I find it funny that Apple trashes Vista so much in their commercials. If it's such a piece of crap, why should they feel threatened? It's the typical "argumentum ad populum" technique, with a bit of a spin. And while it may work, it's certainly not a respectable position to be in. Again, I'm not dictating which operating system you should use as everyone has different needs and preferences. What I'm trying to prevent is someone saying that Vista is universally garbage and crap, as some in this discussion have said.

- Adam

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever » Thu May 17, 2007 11:31 pm

Roberdin wrote: I decide which Windows Updates are installed, not Microsoft. I simply didn't install WGA, since it is unnecessary.
I rememeber Microsoft will forced you to install WGA or you will not receive updates.

voyager1337

Post by voyager1337 » Fri May 18, 2007 6:53 am

AdamR wrote: This whole thing about system resources has been completely blown out of proportion. There's few key issues here.

1) You're assuming that technology has not progressed in terms of hardware. This is completely false and if you believe this
NO YOU are assuming people want to have their system resources taken over by a hog just because systems have more.

Now let me show everyone how long winded the rest of your speech is. Does Vista do anything that XP can't yes or no? (Please don't mention DX10)

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian » Fri May 18, 2007 1:24 pm

voyager1337 wrote: Now let me show everyone how long winded the rest of your speech is. Does Vista do anything that XP can't yes or no? (Please don't mention DX10)
It has got those beautiful wallpapers, and what about that Chinese game? :D
Whatever I say, it's not my fault.

AdamR
Former Team Member

Post by AdamR » Fri May 18, 2007 4:00 pm

voyager1337 wrote: NO YOU are assuming people want to have their system resources taken over by a hog just because systems have more.
Did you not read what I wrote? I made it very clear that the natural course of the way technology works in the consumer market is based upon the fact that end users will upgrade their hardware in order for things to progress. Computing power has made utterly massive leaps from 2001 to 2007. I actually remember people freaking out that Windows 98 required 16MB of RAM. So basically, according to you, Vista should be able to run on 16MB of RAM because people don't want their systems taken up by a "hog."

Heck, using your logic, the ENIAC should be able to run Vista.

And like I stated clearly, if you don't have the computer to handle Vista, either upgrade or stick with XP or 2000. I could care less as every person's needs, wants, and preferences are different.
Now let me show everyone how long winded the rest of your speech is. Does Vista do anything that XP can't yes or no? (Please don't mention DX10)
Yes.
  • Parental Controls
  • Mobility Center
  • Windows Search
  • Photo Gallery
  • HD ready WMM AND WDVDM
  • Significantly improved Explorer interface
  • Backup and Restore
  • Significantly improved Networking Center
  • Impressively accurate Speech Recognition
  • Accessability Options
  • UAC (yes, it does work)
  • ReadyBoost
  • WDDM and DWM incorporated and improved which makes developer's jobs much easier
  • SideShow (if you've never used it, you'll never know how convenient it actually is)
  • BitLocker
  • Improved WPP
  • Major Improvements in Media Center
  • Performance enhancements
And that's just off the top of my head. Shall I go on? And basing things upon the arguments I've seen in the past, please don't come back with "and how many of those things do you actually need?" I don't need a lot of things. It doesn't matter. That's the nature of technological progression. It's a moot argument in this case.

- Adam

voyager1337

Post by voyager1337 » Fri May 18, 2007 4:38 pm

AdamR wrote: Did you not read what I wrote?
Yes I did but I don't agree with it. You seem to think just because computers are more powerfull that operating systems should be filled with shite and thats what Vista has
person's needs, wants, and preferences are different.

AdamR wrote: Okay.
  • Parental Controls
  • Mobility Center
  • Windows Search
  • Photo Gallery
  • HD ready WMM AND WDVDM
  • Significantly improved Explorer interface
  • Backup and Restore
  • Significantly improved Networking Center
  • Impressively accurate Speech Recognition
  • Accessability Options
  • UAC (yes, it does work)
  • ReadyBoost
  • WDDM and DWM incorporated and improved which makes developer's jobs much easier
  • SideShow (if you've never used it, you'll never know how convenient it actually is)
  • BitLocker
  • Improved WPP
  • Major Improvements in Media Center
  • Performance enhancements
Very nice but I asked for things which XP couldn't do and with addons it can do all that rubbish

As for
[*]Performance enhancements[/list]
It will be slower

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34915

Return to “General Discussion”