Your Opinion on Vista?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
god0fgod

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by god0fgod » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:00 pm

A strange fact is that Vista doesn't remove piracy, it just randomly limits things.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:39 pm

AdamR wrote:Innovation is a relative term. From my perspective, things like Singularity, .NET, C#, and TouchLight are, indeed, innovation.
So copying is irrelevant to this discussion because when it comes to an OS, everybody does it. So innovation is a slippery-when-wet term that is of no value to this discussion because Windows isn't even really on the funding radar. (Nobody except thoughtless M$-bashers said Microsoft doesn't ever innovate, by the way, so at this point the discussion is missing -- more likely dodging -- the point.)

In other words, if Vista works for you, great. If it doesn't, great. No big deal either way, take it or leave it. Sort of like phpBB, where objective reviews of the product are pretty hard to come by, if they even matter in the first place.

Super. End of discussion.

MrTorrance

Post by MrTorrance » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:29 am

Two problems with Vista...

Firefox seems to hang constantly...not sure why yet.
One of my After Effects plugins doesn't work...bummer.

Other than that it has been a very easy and fun transition from XP.
~MrsTorrance~
~Wife's Blog~
...it must be that darn flux capacitor again!?
[DEV]CC_2ND_EMAIL : [DEV]WordLinks

symbolicpixel

Post by symbolicpixel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:09 pm

Okay, back to XP again. Firefox and IE that doesn't load up certain webpages, gave me a reason to believe there was something about my hard drive (cache I suppose) that nothing told me about. I did a reformat and switching back to XP yet again, finally it works. It's tough to explain, but it was the way my laptop had to take it.
~ on myspace ~
*** no support given in private - private messaging helps one person, forum posts help many.

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Tue May 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Well I must say that I don't really have an opinion on Vista (actually I have but that one is based on what I've heart so I ain't writing it here cause I've never used it my self).
But I found something that I want to share with you about vista.
Source: fok.nl

:lol:
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Thu May 08, 2008 4:01 am

Personally, I love Vista.

Just the ability to sort and organize the files in explorer saves me a lot of time and headache.

I went back to XP for about a month after using Vista for almost a year and XP was a pain.

Vista is more stable, has many times more drivers, has a much better explorer interface, and the start menu search is quite helpful.

Also, one of the big problems I had with XP is that no matter what you do, after 1-2 months XP slows down to a crawl and nothing will fix it. Even uninstalling all the applications and cleaning the registry does not help. I've run Vista for I think close to 6 months in a row at the most so far and I've never had that slowdown.

Anubis_The_Jackal

Post by Anubis_The_Jackal » Thu May 08, 2008 5:50 am

May the gods of wrath, disease, pestilence, and Lewie Anderson drag this OS into the depths of hel(Viking land of the unhonored dead [wiki it]), whilst the good gods of thunder and the heavens take XP to Valhalla. In the final battle between Odin and Loki when the Internet is burned asunder only few shall survive - those being Linux Distributions and Unix - and hopefully Windows XP SP4.

Amen.
PHPBB since 03
Jackuul Empire-MSRP V

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Thu May 08, 2008 7:04 am

Anubis_The_Jackal wrote:May the gods of wrath, disease, pestilence, and Lewie Anderson drag this OS into the depths of hel(Viking land of the unhonored dead [wiki it]), whilst the good gods of thunder and the heavens take XP to Valhalla. In the final battle between Odin and Loki when the Internet is burned asunder only few shall survive - those being Linux Distributions and Unix - and hopefully Windows XP SP4.
It's comments like this that provide no intellectual discussion and spread utter FUD about Vista. If you have problems with Vista, list them and back them up with facts. Otherwise, discussion is pointless...

That being said, should Windows XP SP4 ever be released, it will add virtually nothing which effects the consumer aspect with the exception of minor security updates, just like SP3 for XP and SP3/SP4 for 2000.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Anubis_The_Jackal

Post by Anubis_The_Jackal » Fri May 09, 2008 2:38 am

It asked for opinions.

I gave mine. I need not delve into detail when I take poetic license with history. Jokingly I might add.
PHPBB since 03
Jackuul Empire-MSRP V

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Fri May 09, 2008 3:28 am

Anubis_The_Jackal wrote:It asked for opinions.

I gave mine. I need not delve into detail when I take poetic license with history. Jokingly I might add.
At the same time, (good) opinions are based on facts and an analysis or evaluation of such. General Discussion is here to consist of just that: discussion. Opinions without solid reasoning contributes nothing to a discussion as, at that point, there are no facts/events/reasons to discuss. ;)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Fri May 09, 2008 12:27 pm

EXreaction wrote:Also, one of the big problems I had with XP is that no matter what you do, after 1-2 months XP slows down to a crawl and nothing will fix it. Even uninstalling all the applications and cleaning the registry does not help. I've run Vista for I think close to 6 months in a row at the most so far and I've never had that slowdown.
I've had the same XP install for >2 years now and it still runs really speedily. When I actually use it.
Chris SmithGitHub

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG » Fri May 09, 2008 12:36 pm

All my machines - work (8 machines), Church (12 machines) and Home (5 machines), have never been re-installed, and most are over 4 years old.

So long as you do not do major installs and reinstalls regularly and use a good temp file cleaner (do a search for ATF Cleaner), you should find your installation will be fine.

I do use some tools to control programs that try to set auto-running startup entries, but otherwise use only what is in XP itself.

So nothing is wrong with XP itself, it is how you (and your installed programs) alter it which will slow it down.

But that is off topic, this topic is about Vista, and your opinion on that operating system.

I have not yet moved completely over to vista, but do like what I have seen so far.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

tandiono

Post by tandiono » Sun May 25, 2008 9:59 pm

it suck

Ddraiggoch06

Post by Ddraiggoch06 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:51 pm

I like Vista, the interface is clean, it's easy to use, and is packed with useful features. Sure, it has it's annoying issues, but most of them have been fixed in SP1.

Return to “General Discussion”