Your Opinion on Vista?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
oddfish

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by oddfish » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:40 am

being involved in the beta testing of vista was an eye opener. yeah, I got my free version for bug reports of value but rarely use it (as he says typing this under vista).

I find it works for the most but do become disgruntled by several basic things (directory detail views swapping to large icon view at random for one).

Also the updates that seem to fix fixes for fixing fixes that were fixed but need fixing for fixing sake (more of an issue with ms than vista itself).

I can see several improvements over previous releases but like with any new release of software, things that you get used to, change to suit the environment and the user in mind (although lacking a little in the latter).

as was with XP, I long for SP1 final to ship with many enhancements that will (hopefully) make a smoother ride. 'spose I'm as impatient as others to maximise the experience but that is due more to a product that still had hundreds of unfixed bugs when RTM . hardware was never a prob this end - for the most everything worked prior to rtm. what really bugs me is the shear size of vista and some required drivers to work with this puppy - a basic printer driver package for an hp photosmart needing to be 140 MB (net install of 238 MB) is ludicrous to put some ink on paper - compared to 28 MB and 35 MB respectively on XP for the same printer. vista has created bloatware on bloatware.

yip, the fixes are and will happen but from longhorn to vista rtm, backdowns in many features, removed this and included thats, did create a lot of wtf? in a seemingly short time for a long process.

I give vista a 6/10 for trying to be a "now OS" and a 7.5/10 for future aspects.

currently Ubuntu gets a 9/10 for size, simplicity and it just simply works (did I mention it is free?) lol.
holy dog wrote: If you really want to install Linux, make sure you do it on a trashable hard drive, if it fails, it WILL destroy the hard drive ==".
Funny you should say that. There were well over 1000 reported HDD failures in the main testing forums on longhorn/vista alone (note: pre RC2).
Country Flag User Edition Clickable Post Count Link

... another record broken without breaking any records ...
Testing phpBB3.1 dark style based on prosilver ... http://www.oddmods.net

richmaster

Post by richmaster » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:33 am

vista sucks, always asking for permission to do stuff and its just not good i would say to stick with xp for a while, i have vista but i dont really use it that much though
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
Owner Of Clodzone.com

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:21 pm

richmaster wrote:vista sucks, always asking for permission to do stuff and its just not good i would say to stick with xp for a while
You know you can very easily disable this.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

richmaster

Post by richmaster » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:26 pm

oh i never tried it, i dont know how to do that
Owner Of Clodzone.com

|UVI|

Post by |UVI| » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:37 pm

Vista sucks.
Now I'm using Gentoo Linux. With Beryl, 3D effects , Firefox opened and Eclipse 3.2 for programming and now my memory usage is only about 250 mb.
If I do same thing on Vista 1 Gb of Ram is not sufficient. Why this? The answer is simple: the king Bill is friend of Kingston memory producer :twisted:
Vista sucks. Now I have a penguin and old XP is formatted on my laptop.
Goodbye windows, goodbye Bill.

P.S. A Vista Ultimate license here in Italy is 700 €. Linux is free :mrgreen: Only fools can use Vista
My phpbb forum:
lost

richmaster

Post by richmaster » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:44 pm

its just to bad,its like an old people, like my dad or my mom, they wouldnt know what the hell is going on when something pops up and says We need your permission to download this program. its pretty cool and all, like with the side bar, and the windows calendar, but its pretty good, but i much rather prefer windows xp XP IS BETTER THAN VISTA! XP ROCKS! XP ROCKS
Owner Of Clodzone.com

richmaster

Post by richmaster » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:50 pm

vista doesn't cost anything here, well you do have to pay for the computer it self
Owner Of Clodzone.com

|UVI|

Post by |UVI| » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:55 pm

richmaster wrote:vista doesn't cost anything here, well you do have to pay for the computer it self
Try to buy a PC without OS, then try to see how much. The cost of license of Microsoft software is included on cost of pc. If you buy a pc with linux installed, like some Dell PC, you buy only the hardware, not a Windows License. My next step will be that.
My phpbb forum:
lost

richmaster

Post by richmaster » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:56 pm

oh why dont they come with an os
Owner Of Clodzone.com

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:47 pm

richmaster wrote:vista sucks, always asking for permission to do stuff and its just not good i would say to stick with xp for a while, i have vista but i dont really use it that much though
Vista asks for permissions as a (well founded) security measure. The idea for it was arguably stolen from Linux, though it's much more improved than in any Linux edition I've seen (though this is likely a limitation on my part). Permission prompts should only appear if you are trying to do something like install an application or make a change to the computer settings. If they are appearing randomly all the time, then you probably have malware.

If you still want to disable it, click Start, click your picture, then click "Turn User Account Control on or off". Naturally, it will ask for your permission one last time to do this. Clear the tick box, and click OK.

In any case, driver support is a little thin at the moment -- the computer doesn't crash (at least, it hasn't for me) due to a new driver architecture, but video and audio drivers seem to lack features or mis-detect things (such as your maximum screen resolution -- argh). I would personally advise anyone to stay with XP for another six months.
Roberdin

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:05 am

Roberdin wrote:Permission prompts should only appear if you are trying to do something like install an application or make a change to the computer settings. If they are appearing randomly all the time, then you probably have malware.
not true. just RUNNING a command, logged in as administrator, will prompt it (gpedit.msc, mmc, etc)
Roberdin wrote:I would personally advise anyone to stay with XP for another six months.
which is what i tell all my clients, except i leave out the "for another six months" ;)

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:39 am

A_O_C wrote:not true. just RUNNING a command, logged in as administrator, will prompt it (gpedit.msc, mmc, etc)
If you run any Microsoft Management Console applet (as an administrator or not) you will be prompted for authorisation (or, if you aren't an administrator, credentials) for obvious reasons: you are likely to use the console for administrative purposes. Indeed, even if you are just looking, these are things that you should be an administrator to view. I would prefer the prompt to appear, once, at the run point rather than every time I wanted to change a setting within MMC. Indeed, I have begun to eschew the "friendly" dialogue boxes in favour of the registry editing tool and management console simply because I'm only prompted once, rather than in every setting change I make. However, I prefer to leave the UAC enabled, simply because it adds a substantial security layer.

Is it really that irritating? Very quickly, one learns when it will appear (mostly because of the shield icon, or you've pressed Ctrl+Shift+Enter) and presses Alt+C or Alt+A before the screen even finishes dimming.
A_O_C wrote:
Roberdin wrote:I would personally advise anyone to stay with XP for another six months.
which is what i tell all my clients, except i leave out the "for another six months" ;)
Are you going to keep them with XP forever? :P
Roberdin

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:20 am

Roberdin wrote:
A_O_C wrote:not true. just RUNNING a command, logged in as administrator, will prompt it (gpedit.msc, mmc, etc)
If you run any Microsoft Management Console applet (as an administrator or not) you will be prompted for authorisation (or, if you aren't an administrator, credentials) for obvious reasons: you are likely to use the console for administrative purposes.
the idea here is that if you follow Microsoft's recommendations (or, for that matter, almost all network administrator's recommendations), you should only use the administrator account for administrative purposes. therefore, why do i need to tell Microsoft "yes, i know what i am doing" if i am logged in as the administrator for that computer? you should then have a second account for "regular" access and use, which then i would agree the UAC prompt would be welcomed.
Roberdin wrote:Are you going to keep them with XP forever? :P
Microsoft wont support XP forever, but i will keep my clients on it as long as possible. citing an earlier post by me...
A_O_C wrote:i hope microsoft wakes up by the time fiji and vienna ship. :roll:

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:28 am

A_O_C wrote:
Roberdin wrote:
If you run any Microsoft Management Console applet (as an administrator or not) you will be prompted for authorisation (or, if you aren't an administrator, credentials) for obvious reasons: you are likely to use the console for administrative purposes.
the idea here is that if you follow Microsoft's recommendations (or, for that matter, almost all network administrator's recommendations), you should only use the administrator account for administrative purposes. therefore, why do i need to tell Microsoft "yes, i know what i am doing" if i am logged in as the administrator for that computer? you should then have a second account for "regular" access and use, which then i would agree the UAC prompt would be welcomed
Let's be realistic: How many idiots out there run Windows logged in as an administrator? Heck, how many so-called "Linux switchers" run as root? The answer is quite a few. This feature was turned on by default to protect those stupid and ignorant users from themselves. If you're an administrator and know what you're doing, then the first step should be to turn UAC off. ;)

I'm sorry, but this whole overwhelming hatred for Vista is way out of hand in the public eye. I fully admit, Microsoft messed up some things in Vista. They released it too soon, and under delivered (WinFS, anyone?). But this constant FUD about it screwing up your entire computing experience is completely unfounded at this point. At launch, there were problems as you would always expect. OS X has these launch problems (like, say, 10.4.10?). Linux has these launch problems. Heck, as soon as phpBB 3.0 goes gold I'm assuming we'll see some problems that we didn't find before.

I have 9 computers in my house (soon to be 10 or 11), 4 of which are running Vista, soon to be 5. The other machines are on XP, only because their hardware is a bit out of date. One of my servers will be upgraded to Server 2008 upon launch. I've never had driver incompatibility issues, and I can't tell you how many devices I have plugged into my machines combined or the different combinations of hardware that each machine uses. I only had 1 outstanding issue (this) on my laptop. The hotfix was available back in April, I only found about it until late July. I've never had software incompatibility issues that couldn't be fixed by a simple patch from the manufacturer.

Have people had serious driver issues with Vista? I'm quite certain they have. I've had driver issues with OS X and Linux as well. I can't tell you how many pissed off customers I have coming into where I work because their Sony HDD Camcorder won't work on OS X, or that they have to purchase the $1,200 Final Cut Pro 6.0 in order to edit AVCHD video format when the same thing is available on the PC for under $75. I get customers asking for computers with XP installed on them. And when I ask why they'd prefer XP over Vista, they tell me Vista sucks and it's horrible and it can't do anything. I ask for an example, and all they say is "a friend told me." Some people actually believe you can't network a Vista and XP machine together. :roll:

It's hype that just keeps getting passed around from a slim minority of users who have been experiencing problems (probably because of user error on their end). The whole "Windows will screw you over" and "Microsoft can't do anything right" is all just a bunch of hype that has been accumulating over the years, and now everyone is pointing out obvious things as horrible flaws when they fail to realize that the competition has just as many problems, flaws, and "screw ups."

I'm not a Microsoft fanboy. There's many things in Vista which I can't stand. IE6 and 7 are the worse software products on the face of the planet. I love OS X as an operating system (can't stand Aqua, though) and consumer platform. But there's also tons of things I can't stand in OS X, Linux, or any other piece of software out there. I'm extremely good at finding flaws in software, whether it be bugs, functionality preferences/practices, or UI inconsistencies.

Should the general public wait a bit to get Vista? I think so, at least until SP1. But is Vista going to screw them over and is it something the should "tread lightly" on or "leave it as a toy for the geeks" as "they" would have you believe? Absolutely not. Vista isn't perfect, but it's a solid upgrade from XP. Period.

- Adam
Last edited by AdamR on Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

m157y

Post by m157y » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:55 am

UAC is maybe good thing, but i don't understand for what it was planned? i'm always click that i'm sure :) so i was disabled it after 30 minutes after installation of Vista :) i don't like this feature :) and some editings of running services and it's pretty OS :) but i don't like vista interface for it's resource requirements :) so, i'll continue styling windows like os x with 3rd party software :)
and also :) i was waiting vista for a new FS (WinFS), but it's was removed from vista's package, because it don't completed, so i was disappointed for this.. :)
2 linux users
are you understand that linux very different OS? :) you don't like windows, so not use it :) please, don't post that windows is sux :) all win users know that win is very buggy :) but it supports more hardware and more software for win is available :) i think at topic like this not actually debate what better *nix or win :)
m157y aka Misty
NO SUPPORT VIA PM
KarmaMOD for phpBB 3.0.x | bbAJAX
Follow me on twitter

Return to “General Discussion”