Your Opinion on Vista?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Post Reply
Roberdin
Registered User
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:56 pm
Location: London, United Kingdom

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by Roberdin » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:58 pm

A_O_C wrote:the idea here is that if you follow Microsoft's recommendations (or, for that matter, almost all network administrator's recommendations), you should only use the administrator account for administrative purposes.
AdamR wrote:How many idiots out there run Windows logged in as an administrator?
I'm not connected to a corporate network; I simply don't need that kind of complexity. I've never had any security issue that occured because I've run as an administrator. UAC is an extra layer of security now; I have no reason to use a limited account at all. If you log in with the default Administrator account, UAC is disabled. If you connect to a domain, UAC is disabled. If you are, like me, sitting at home on a small network, UAC is preferable to using a secondary account for administrative purposes.
m157y wrote:all win users know that win is very buggy :)
Windows is not substantially more "buggy" than a typical Linux distribution, it's simply targeted because it is more popular. Most system problems are caused by third-party poorly written device drivers anyway, something Microsoft is attempting to suppress by requiring driver signing.
m157y wrote:UAC is maybe good thing, but i don't understand for what it was planned
So that if you accidentally download a virus, or any other kind of malware, it will not be able to do significant damage to your computer without a suspicious UAC dialogue appearing. The prompt is not there to annoy you. It is there to stop accidental or malicious changes to your computer.
Last edited by Roberdin on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roberdin

User avatar
m157y
Registered User
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:39 am
Location: Russia, Moscow, Khimki
Contact:

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by m157y » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:46 pm

2 Roberdin
So that if you accidentally download a virus, or any other kind of malware, it will not be able to do significant damage to your computer without a suspicious UAC dialogue appearing. The prompt is not there to annoy you. It is there to stop accidental or malicious changes to your computer.
i'm using antivirus with latest bases + firewall manually configured for opened ports and asking me of any try to connect/open another port.. and at additional i know which of files i'm opening is with viruses and which without, and then i'm not sure at file, i'm checking it with AV manually :) i'm sure, that i can't get virus :)
PS
AV - Kaspersky7
FireWall - Agnitum Outpost4
:) not for war for soft, only for info :)
m157y aka Misty
NO SUPPORT VIA PM
KarmaMOD for phpBB 3.0.x | bbAJAX
Follow me on twitter

Roberdin
Registered User
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:56 pm
Location: London, United Kingdom

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by Roberdin » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:17 pm

If you feel secure, then disable UAC (as you have), it's not difficult. I prefer to err on the side of caution.
Roberdin

User avatar
AdamR
Former Team Member
Posts: 9731
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida
Name: Adam Reyher
Contact:

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by AdamR » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:45 pm

Roberdin wrote:
AdamR wrote:How many idiots out there run Windows logged in as an administrator?
I'm not connected to a corporate network; I simply don't need that kind of complexity. I've never had any security issue that occured because I've run as an administrator. UAC is an extra layer of security now; I have no reason to use a limited account at all. If you log in with the default Administrator account, UAC is disabled. If you connect to a domain, UAC is disabled. If you are, like me, sitting at home on a small network, UAC is preferable to using a secondary account for administrative purposes.
Agreed. My reasoning was that many users in fact messed up their installation of XP because they were running as an administrator and ended up changing a setting they shouldn't have. For those people who know what they're doing and are power users, then sure, run as an Admin. However, with the launch of Vista, regular, common, and ignorant users aren't going to magically switch to a standard user account, so this layer of "protection" was added, not necessarily from malware, but for settings and such.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

User avatar
Quillz
Registered User
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:47 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Name: Joseph
Contact:

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by Quillz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:54 am

All I have to say on this subject is that Vista is a very nice operating system. I've been running it on my Dell notebook for months now, and I love it. :mrgreen:

User avatar
gl3nnx
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 10:21 am
Contact:

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by gl3nnx » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:35 am

i love the window interface of Windows Vista! But my pc is so slow :(

User avatar
m157y
Registered User
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:39 am
Location: Russia, Moscow, Khimki
Contact:

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by m157y » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:12 am

hm.. :) i don't like vista's interface :) imho, mac's interface better :)
m157y aka Misty
NO SUPPORT VIA PM
KarmaMOD for phpBB 3.0.x | bbAJAX
Follow me on twitter

luke6104
Registered User
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:47 am

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by luke6104 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:22 am

no opinion, never used it my comp too shit

eUKhost.com
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:13 am
Contact:

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by eUKhost.com » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:32 pm

Apart from the pretty interface it has some cool features like Desktop integrated search and file indexing and performance enhancements like ReadyBoost, SuperFetch and Sleep which make a real difference in how you use your PC.

User avatar
swenis
Registered User
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:02 am

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by swenis » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:56 am

vista is very bad :( vista not running on 256MB of ram :cry:
http://www.modai.info my modded forum
mods: ajax_chat, Advanced Quick Reply, Prime Anti-bot, FAQ Manager
phpBB version: 3.0.4

oglach
Registered User
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:58 pm

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by oglach » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:01 pm

its good enough

User avatar
AdamR
Former Team Member
Posts: 9731
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida
Name: Adam Reyher
Contact:

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by AdamR » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:34 pm

swenis wrote:vista is very bad :( vista not running on 256MB of ram :cry:
XP barely ran on 256MB if you were using your computer for things more than email/document creation...

What people who throw the "Vista needs ridiculous resources" argument fail to realize is that in the 6 years since XP, hardware has gone leaps and bounds beyond the software. It's no more expensive to create a computer today with 2-4GB RAM then it was in 2001 to create one with 128MB RAM.

That being said, Leopard's requirements look somewhat similar to Vista's
OS X Leopard Minimum Requirements wrote:# A PowerPC G4 (800 MHz or faster)-based, PowerPC G5-based, or Intel-based Mac
# A DVD drive
# At least 512 MB RAM
# 7 GB of hard disk space – 12 GB if Xcode is also installed[
Windows Vista Minimum Requirements wrote:800 MHz Processor
512 MB RAM
DirectX 9 capable GPU - 128 MB RAM supports up to 2,756,000 total pixels (e.g. 1920 × 1200)
20GB HDD Capacity
15GB of HDD Free Space
CD-ROM Drive
To argue a point that I just know is going to be brought up is why Vista takes up more space than OS X. There's several reasons here, with the main one being that Vista brings a ton of libraries with it, ranging from WDDM to the .NET framework.

It's called technological progression. Without higher requirements which can take advantage of the new hardware, we'd probably still be stuck in 1983 in terms of computing power...

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

LightBred
Registered User
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:30 am

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by LightBred » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:23 am

waiting on on the problems to get worked out before trying it.

User avatar
swenis
Registered User
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:02 am

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by swenis » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:36 am

AdamR wrote:
swenis wrote:vista is very bad :( vista not running on 256MB of ram :cry:
XP barely ran on 256MB if you were using your computer for things more than email/document creation...

What people who throw the "Vista needs ridiculous resources" argument fail to realize is that in the 6 years since XP, hardware has gone leaps and bounds beyond the software. It's no more expensive to create a computer today with 2-4GB RAM then it was in 2001 to create one with 128MB RAM.

That being said, Leopard's requirements look somewhat similar to Vista's
OS X Leopard Minimum Requirements wrote:# A PowerPC G4 (800 MHz or faster)-based, PowerPC G5-based, or Intel-based Mac
# A DVD drive
# At least 512 MB RAM
# 7 GB of hard disk space – 12 GB if Xcode is also installed[
Windows Vista Minimum Requirements wrote:800 MHz Processor
512 MB RAM
DirectX 9 capable GPU - 128 MB RAM supports up to 2,756,000 total pixels (e.g. 1920 × 1200)
20GB HDD Capacity
15GB of HDD Free Space
CD-ROM Drive
To argue a point that I just know is going to be brought up is why Vista takes up more space than OS X. There's several reasons here, with the main one being that Vista brings a ton of libraries with it, ranging from WDDM to the .NET framework.

It's called technological progression. Without higher requirements which can take advantage of the new hardware, we'd probably still be stuck in 1983 in terms of computing power...

- Adam
thanks
http://www.modai.info my modded forum
mods: ajax_chat, Advanced Quick Reply, Prime Anti-bot, FAQ Manager
phpBB version: 3.0.4

Roberdin
Registered User
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:56 pm
Location: London, United Kingdom

Re: Your Opinion on Vista?

Post by Roberdin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:25 pm

LightBred wrote:waiting on on the problems to get worked out before trying it.
Any particular ones in mind?
Roberdin

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”