Safari now for Windows

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
xdarkday

Safari now for Windows

Post by xdarkday »

I am still using firefox (its what im used to, and the ad-ons are amazing), but I figure maybe some wanted to try out safari.

Heres the link. http://www.apple.com/safari/

starware

Re: Safari now for Windows

Post by starware »

Downloading now, Looks like another browser for my collection. :)

(yes, I actually have an internet browser collection)

P.S. Downloaded, I really like the styling and it looks pretty good for an application.

The main thing is I think Firefox is still a little bit faster on my computer. =/
Pardon my bad english, I'm american. :P

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

My thoughts....

If you can't tell from my avatar, I'm a big Firefox fan (Firefox FTW! :D ) so I have a special place in my heart for it, but I also love other standards compliant browsers like Opera, Safari, etc. Overall, I think it's pretty good with the excellent RSS reader, resizable textareas, and speed (as fast as Opera). However there are two things that prevent me from using it more: 1) fuzzy text and 2) lack of JavaScript debugging. As for the text problem, on my computer (Vista and widescreen monitor) the text looks a little fuzzy. Yes, I tried the different text options but someone on one of my forums said it was because it uses its own font renderer instead of the native Windows one. As for JavaScript debugging, there is none unless you run OSX which is annoying to me because my Mac is older can't run the latest version of Safari.

Hopefully both of the problems can be fixed before it leaves beta. If so it will be great! :ugeek:
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Finally! I can't see bold text with this beta though.. I hope it will render the same as the mac version, it will make web dev's lives a lot easier.

Rune Location

Post by Rune Location »

starware wrote:(yes, I actually have an internet browser collection)
May I should get going too. I've got Firefox (primary browser), IE, Opera and Netscape :D

m157y

Post by m157y »

it's great :) on my winxp styled like osx tiger it will be beatiful :)
before safari my primary browser was opera :)
but i have installed also ff for web-development :)
m157y aka Misty
NO SUPPORT VIA PM
KarmaMOD for phpBB 3.0.x | bbAJAX
Follow me on twitter

Jupix
Former Team Member

Post by Jupix »

Interesting, it doesn't seem to render italic/bold text at all. I've also seen other people having this problem.
#################

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

I'm glad it isn't just me.
starware wrote:Looks like another browser for my collection. :)
If you're looking for a specific browser, take look here: http://browsers.evolt.org. I'm currently running stand-alone versions of IE 3 :P, 4, 5, 5.5 and 6, IE 7, FF 2, Mozilla, Opera and Netscape. There are several online services I used for checking Safari, hopefully I won't need those anymore.

eukben

Post by eukben »

I have downloaded Safari and first impressions after testing it is the speed; the browser is the fastest one I know of and renders text really well. If you use the search function (CTRL + F in Safari) I really like how it collects text searched, I think it uses KHTML. I am really so close for Safari to become my default browser.

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

Safari security problems already? :o

IMHO it doesn't look like Apple put as much TLC into the Windows version of Safari. :?
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

vicmsn

Post by vicmsn »

this release has many problems and they have admitted those problems and we can expect a new release for WindowsXP and Vista
Rich Directory Web Directory
come on friends visit em

lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

IE doesnt have problems, Firefox doesnt have problems, Opera doesnt have problems, but Safari does, ;)
Yes, every browser has its problems. Even FF2 wich crashed in the posting screen. (2.0.0.4 fixed it...)
;)

Security problems are common and everything needs to be kept updated no matter what you run.
Signature is here

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Jupix wrote:Interesting, it doesn't seem to render italic/bold text at all. I've also seen other people having this problem.
They fixed it in B3.

Return to “General Discussion”