phpBB's Old!

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
iyeru42

phpBB's Old!

Post by iyeru42 »

For those of you who may remember, phpBB's turning 7 this year. What does this mean? Well, IPB 1.0 didn't even make final until after phpBB 2 was released. I was just wondering, what will phpBB be doing for their tenth anniversary? Will they make a custom skin for free use like IPB did with their XMAS theme? Or will you make some "special" enhancements?

I've also noticed that phpBB2 and 3 as people have said are "feature" frozen. Sure you've noticed the addition of the warn/report system (Which was not a part of phpBB2.) I'm not going to discuss that, but phpBB made an extreme jump from each whole number version. What do you people think about the progress? Do you think phpBB should do something for their tenth (in three years) anniversary? If so, what?

I think they should release a special skin. ;)
My Website | My MOD Requests | Foreign Key Docs (some topics are not requests)
"It's easy to rebel, but it's hard to be recognized."
xdarkday

Re: phpBB's Old!

Post by xdarkday »

My guess is we'll find out in 3 years.
Lastof

Post by Lastof »

I am hopeful that in three years time the issues that caused 3.0's development cycle to be slower than they wish will have been solved, and we will be on at least 3.2, with the events system and other useful goodies.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2011, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

iyeru42 wrote:phpBB made an extreme jump from each whole number version.
I think this is often overlooked. People tend to compare phpBB with other products, and even then with only certain "upscale" products, rather than sit back and appreciate the growth of phpBB -- comparing it to itself over its lifetime.

So I'm hopeful that at its tenth anniversary we can celebrate the fact that phpBB just stuck with its heritage as a stable, extensible, and usable core forum product and that it's still making a significant contribution to the space between the "thin" forum products and the "feature rich" ones. And all of this as one of the premier open source projects on the Internet.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

We've been releasing and using a Halloween and Christmas theme for who knows how long (and I'm sure someone will dig that up too :P), so I think that's been done. Maybe we'll put on this huge airshow, with phpBB banners flying around and parade phpBB Team Members around for autographs and such. Actually, that sounds like fun. :D
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Techie-Micheal wrote:We've been releasing and using a Halloween and Christmas theme for who knows how long (and I'm sure someone will dig that up too :P), so I think that's been done. Maybe we'll put on this huge airshow, with phpBB banners flying around and parade phpBB Team Members around for autographs and such. Actually, that sounds like fun. :D
Make an actual tent like the old logo ;)
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
iyeru42

Post by iyeru42 »

iWisdom wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:We've been releasing and using a Halloween and Christmas theme for who knows how long (and I'm sure someone will dig that up too :P), so I think that's been done. Maybe we'll put on this huge airshow, with phpBB banners flying around and parade phpBB Team Members around for autographs and such. Actually, that sounds like fun. :D
Make an actual tent like the old logo ;)
Maybe the return of the old rainbow links that appeared in the default way back when. :P
My Website | My MOD Requests | Foreign Key Docs (some topics are not requests)
"It's easy to rebel, but it's hard to be recognized."
Kigen

Post by Kigen »

A change in the "major version" number (the first number) is suppose to represent an entire reworking of the software/hardware. I see it only fitting that with the changes they've made between 2.x to 3.x that the change in version number to 3.x is fitting.

Major version . minor version . patch . build

I think thats how version numbers are suppose to be organized.
- Kigen, the Legendary Lone Marine.
Steamcast Music Directory - Radio Toolbox
Don't go here.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

eh, almost on the version number. We follow the Linux kernel numbering system.

major.minor.revision is the scheme.

If minor is not backwards compatible with major, major increases by one, which is what happened with 2.2 going to 3.0. :)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Return to “General Discussion”