Would you spend money for a message-board-system?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
James Charleston

Would you spend money for a message-board-system?

Post by James Charleston »

I just want to known if you would spend money for a message-board-system. Many message-board-systems cost money (for e.g. vbulletin), and I would not do that, because phpBB is a very good forum-system, and if you have only a little message-board phpBB is the perfect choice.

What about you?
They say when you talk to god its prayer, but when god talks to you its scizophrenia...
JeffJo

Re: Would you spend money for a message-board-system?

Post by JeffJo »

I already did.

And then I wished I hadn't.

But that's a long story.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

James Charleston wrote:if you have only a little message-board phpBB is the perfect choice.
I am not sure why you say that
Ranked Largest board in the World
Gaia Online 1093004350 Posts 8298679 members
That is over 1Billion Posts and over 8 Million members

As for your question - No I would not as phpBB is the best (I am of course not biased)

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

I think all the best ones are free -- phpBB3 and Vanilla are both top-of-class, and free.

I also prefer to use open source projects with free licenses as I find the community support is better, updates are faster, and they're easier/more fun to modify.
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

would never spend money at this point as I'm too invested into phpBB at this point.

Also, the thing you have to know about Gaia is that it's a "Super-phpBB" running on over 50 servers, with loads of tweaks to the code to be able to handle that many posts and people.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
Myspoonistoobig

Post by Myspoonistoobig »

Jim_UK wrote:
HEAVILY modified and not available to the public. Gaia is phpbb2's singular breakout success story, and their forum is modded beyond recognition. They did a "forum rewrite" (you can tell it's still a derivative), and removed the copyright notice in their arrogance to this end
nameslot

Post by nameslot »

No I have never spent a single dime on my board yes maybe I have earned from it that is other thing.

Message board paid posts and other things are really taking out the fun from it.

If the admin wants good traffic then he should work hard and I can bet he will get good results.
Thaales

Post by Thaales »

nameslot wrote:No I have never spent a single dime on my board yes maybe I have earned from it that is other thing.

Message board paid posts and other things are really taking out the fun from it.

If the admin wants good traffic then he should work hard and I can bet he will get good results.
i made my board in a fre host but the ads where getting me irritated coz everyclick i had an ad. now i found a good and cheap host and paid from my money for a domain and 1year hosting. I hope to get the money from ads/donations w/t next year but only for the expenses as I manage the forums beacouse I like.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Myspoonistoobig wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:
HEAVILY modified and not available to the public. Gaia is phpbb2's singular breakout success story, and their forum is modded beyond recognition. They did a "forum rewrite" (you can tell it's still a derivative), and removed the copyright notice in their arrogance to this end
Singular? There's quite a few other very large sites that are using phpBB2, or have gone to phpBB3 already. Gaia is the largest, yes, but not the only.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
xdarkday

Post by xdarkday »

Myspoonistoobig wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:
Actually this is a (somewhat) resent thing. It was only a few years ago that it was still mostly phpBB. The style of the site might throw you off a bit, but its still phpBB. If it is even less than I think it is, then still at one point it was still the largest forum on the internet while still being phpBB. This is what is great about open source. The site was able to base their project on a really great piece of software, AND FOR FREE!
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

Myspoonistoobig wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:

That is the single best bit about phpBB....the fact you can modify it to suit your needs, that is what makes it such an attractive package. As for Gaia Online most of their changes are just style related and as stated above that was only a very recent thing. The GPL allows anyone to remove the visible copyright and as such it is not arrogance, they just do not wish to have the visible copyright on their custom theme and some how I do not see them needing to come here for suppoty ;)
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Myspoonistoobig wrote:HEAVILY modified and not available to the public.
Lanzer made some of the modifications public, should be interesting for anyone with a (really) large board.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 8&t=135383
Last edited by ElbertF on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Yeah, his thread is one of my favorites here, I've applied most all of his tweaks to my site. He's really nice the way he shares his code. I'm kinda selfish, I must admit, if I were in his shoes, back in 2003 when he started the topic, I don't think I would done it. Really nice guy. :)
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
tansoft

Post by tansoft »

No, I don't think i will invest money in message-board system ...... because we have phpbb here providing all the things which we want for FREE!! .....
Tarun | SoftElixir Team
http://www.softelixir.com
StuWright

Post by StuWright »

I agrre, if phpBB is working well there is no need to pay out for a message board. Its very easy to get carried away on a site and spend more & more, eventually running a good site to pay for itself or worse making a loss.

Return to “General Discussion”