Linux

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Anaximander Thales

Re: Linux

Post by Anaximander Thales »

beatme101 wrote:It's not Virtual PC that doesn't support Linux, it's that Linux doesn't support Virtual PC. Specifically, it is the dropped PS/2 mouse support (which was rather recent and ignorant of them -- alot of distros did it apparently, it might even be the kernel) and how Linux by default lamely uses 24 bit colour, which Virtual PC doesn't support ...

... I also want to mention that Ubuntu is particularly horrible because it comes with Firefox, and further you cannot remove Firefox without destroying the operating system.
That's a very interesting statement -- I'm runningn Feisty Fawn 7.04 and I can easily remove firefox. No problems, boots up, runs stable.

Additionally, my x config file is set for a 32-bit display. This does not mean that it is 32-bit DEPTH. Just like Windows, it is 24-bit Depth with a 32-bit framebuffer. 8-bits of the 32-bit color (in windows and linux) are used for alpha-channels.

Finally, as to the mouse, I have no problems with my ps/2 mouse. No distro has dropped ps/2 mouse support, it's still there. You just need to tell your x config file to use it. I know that ubuntu's live cd has had problems with the ps/2 mouse because they load drivers for a lot of other pointing devices (trying to cope with touchpads, pens, usb mice, trackballs and any thing else that's out there).

Though, it does sound as if you are trying to run Ubuntu in a VM. Issues can arise when running an OS under a virtual machine. I've seen issues on no sound, no video, no mouse, no keyboard, no devices (cd, dvd, printer). Best just to research the problem (or you can shell $$ and call MS).
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball peen hammer.
A.I. BOT

Post by A.I. BOT »

beatme101 wrote: EDIT: Oh yeah. Yeah, I run Linux on Virtual PC. Ubuntu. An update disabled mouse support, and now I am forced to use a workaround which disables internet support to get my mouse back. It's really useless now that that has happenned. I also want to mention that Ubuntu is particularly horrible because it comes with Firefox, and further you cannot remove Firefox without destroying the operating system.
Sure you can remove it ... "apt-get remove firefox", or mozilla-firefox, dont know what Ubuntu calls it. If it asks to remove ubuntu-desktop then let it, ubuntu-desktop is just a meta package and nothing else. Its not going to destroy your system.
thelinx
Name: Linus

Post by thelinx »

I got Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (7.04), and the only bad things is the bad compatibility, lack of decent drivers (Darn you, ATI and Creative!), and a bit hard to install some software. Its fun though :D

Btw, why would you ever want to remove Firefox?

Return to “General Discussion”