Webstats systems

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
ProgrammingPHP.net

Webstats systems

Post by ProgrammingPHP.net »

What do people here use for webstats?

Currently I have Webalizer running. My server comes with both it and Awstats installed, but I chose Webalizer for easy browsing of the stats on one page.

I also recently began using Google Analytics, basically as a means of tracking referrers/search terms beyond the top 30, as well as using a few other nice features.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Re: Webstats systems

Post by drathbun »

I use urchin. I believe it is what google bought and became their analyzer package, and it works fine for me. I really like the reports that they provide.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

Google Analytics is a really good set of tools for looking at stats, especially now that they have re-done the UI. It's also very good with an Adwords campaign.

Personally, I provide clients with the option of Webalizer and AWstats on my servers. Most tend to opt for AWstats as it is a bit better looking than Webalizer.

I think really it all depends what kind of statistics you need. For general tracking I'd say use Google Analytics; it's free, doesn't require any input from the Web Host and serves its purpose well.

Mark
NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

Removed>>>Jim is very good, detailed stats and very cheap. I'm happy with them

Neil
Last edited by Jim_UK on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Only post links in Support situation please.
Myspoonistoobig

Post by Myspoonistoobig »

I've only ever really used Webalizer. It's good enough that I wouldn't bother to go out of my way to switch
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

MarkTheDaemon wrote: Personally, I provide clients with the option of Webalizer and AWstats on my servers.

Mark
I also have those plus one called "Analog" but yeterday I turned off the option for Webalizer as the server had been running very slowly with quite high loads. There was no obvious reason for this but tech support said that it was webalizer that was causing this. aWstats was already turned off by default - perhaps they remember well the exploit of AWstats.

One of the sites on the server gets quite a lot of traffic (about 3GB a day) and it would seem that it was the building of stats for this causing the slow down.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
CheopisIV

Post by CheopisIV »

I'm using Google Analytics, loving the simplicity and pretty charts. Also using StatsCounter right now as it has a nicer map of visitors and some different stats (also seems to run in real time whereas GA takes 24 hours to update).
Role Play Wrestling...For the True Fan!
mywebsiteadviser

Post by mywebsiteadviser »

Hi,

Google Analytics is very friendly an good web statistic service.

There is an article how to install Google Analytics on phpBB2 and phpBB3.

Enjoy,
Alex Webs.
eUKhost.com

Post by eUKhost.com »

Awstats is full of info, graphically better, more accurate stats and more widely used.

Webalizer is comparatively simple yet gives you what you need.
bobek7

Post by bobek7 »

Analytics seems to be the best. I do not need anything more
Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

As we are here, a couple of questions, if you know:
- Analytics says that 99.9% of users have JavaScript enabled, and some 80% of users have broadband... does someone believe such statistics? :D how are they taken?
- anyone knows why Webstats gives much higher figures than Awstats on the same server? does this happen to you too?
Whatever I say, it's not my fault.
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Webalizer and Awstats are both good, I generally use Awstats though. As MarkTheDaemon said, Awstats is very nice looking, also quite easy to use.
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
madd74

Post by madd74 »

Awstats comes with a lot of information the other does not, in my opinion, and I use that on my board. My provider actually was using the webalizer first, and that is what I was using, then I saw Aw, and enjoyed it more
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:As we are here, a couple of questions, if you know:
- Analytics says that 99.9% of users have JavaScript enabled, and some 80% of users have broadband... does someone believe such statistics? :D how are they taken?
- anyone knows why Webstats gives much higher figures than Awstats on the same server? does this happen to you too?
Analytics is Javascript-based. I dunno how they can track anyone who hasn't got JS enabled. So I agree, how they can then quote % JS enabled is beyond me.

That said, I use Google Analytics -- it's very good and is excellent for presenting data to other people. I also have webalizer and awstats available. Each has their own strengths. awstats has more data available, but webalizer's summary graphs are better for posting for at-a-glance stats.

J
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com
madd74

Post by madd74 »

also, if you want to actually see the webstat in action, you can go to my website, it is the very first link, that says WEBSTATS :)

Return to “General Discussion”