Many of you are probably forum admins, so...

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Fayo

Many of you are probably forum admins, so...

Post by Fayo »

Many of you are probably forum admins, so I was wondering if you could help me with this dilemma:

What would you do if a user has started a topic about hazard (which teams do you bet on, did you ever get any luck etc, have you got any ideas..., plus made a poll where you can vote for the best gambling place.

In my country, underage hazard is prohibited, and so is advertising it. On the other hand, this topic is not an advertisment really. Just a little... out of place, that is my feeling.

So, I'm just curious. Would you react? How?

A_O_C

Re: Many of you are probably forum admins, so...

Post by A_O_C »

the question is whether you feel the topic is appropriate or not. also, are you sure the person that started the topic is indeed underage AND living in your country? it is your forum, not his. i would go with my first instinct, and if he throws a kaniption-fit about it, the politely explain why you closed the topic.

na ich

Post by na ich »

I'm afraid closing the topic is not enough. If it were my site I'd delete the topic and pm the author about the reasons.

nur ich

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

I thought from the title that I was going to have to lock this topic but as it is discussion on what to do with posts that do not meet site admin approval then I will leave it to see what course it follows.

Personally if there is a topic that is on my own site that I disapprove of then I would move it to a hidden forum that I have and discuss it with the post author. Of course they would have to do some convincing as at the end of the day it is my site, I pay the bills and of course I have the final say.
If I decided to remove it permanently and the author does not agree then once again - I make the final decision and they have to live with it or move on.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

bodhost.com

Post by bodhost.com »

Well, the best option is inform the user about it first and lock the thread. ;)

jorgy

Post by jorgy »

bodhost.com wrote:Well, the best option is inform the user about it first and lock the thread. ;)
i think board are supposed to promote free speech

Last edited by Jim_UK on Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: url removed > In sig=OK In Post= not ok

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

jorgy wrote: i think board are supposed to promote free speech
There are times when that free speech may become offensive to others or even illegal.
The Admin (who after all owns the site) has the last say and the right to remove the text if he/she so wishes.
I have had to do this on two occasions.
1) when a user slagged off the product (with incorrect info) of a rival
2) When a user made a racist comment about French people

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

byteme

Post by byteme »

As an admin for a WOW guild - I have a VERY difficult job of balancing the overall capabilities of "Free Speech" and what is appropriate. There are MANY children in the game and often these discussions have become "spirited". As a result, I am often left validating many posts between what I think is right and what I think is across the line.

My opinion - is that the OWNER of the board - the one that owns the box, or pays for the service has the final say in any item of concern.
Guy instinct is oftern you friend - if you feel it is improper chances are that you may be right.

IMHO.

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

I would say PM the user first and tell him about it.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

nichky87

Post by nichky87 »

Just my 2 cents,
but free speech technically doesn't apply to online forums, reason being that the forum is not a government linked or affiliated entity. Because of this, the decision of the forum admin has to be objective towards the wellbeing of the board and community as a whole, not the protection of the users' rights.

My suggestion is to move the topic to a private forum, then thrash out the issue with the threadstarter via pm or whatever means applicable.

As what the others have said before, your status as forum admin gives you the right of the final say. Hope this turns out well for you :)
Too stupid to have a sig...

:(

darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie »

I often moderate on a forum that's about a Christian radio show aimed at kids and teenagers. The board has members aging from 11-40s, so it's a rather wide audience. We have issues come up all the time as to what is appropriate and what is not, especially matters of offending kids and the limits their parents have set for them. We will tend to decide between the admins/mods if something is suitable for the board or not. We have had to make decisions to remove links to violent anti-abortion videos and have censored the word "crap." We make a point to be clear about the rules, but at times do need to interpret them and notify users if we feel what they have posted would not be in the best interest of the rest of the members.

As the board admin, this is your board. You make the final decision on what stays and what goes. You want to fit within the comfortability of the majority of your users. If that means preventing some from posting what they choose, then so be it. Free speech can be acceptable in public, but your site is your domain and you make the rules. And especially in the original question presented, you probably wouldn't want to have topics related to illegal behavior if that is not something you support.
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

Acreo Aeneas

Post by Acreo Aeneas »

Using Jim's first reply as a platform, I'll say this:

See where the discussion goes first before taking any action. Perhaps the discussion will bring up keen interest in the topic and perhaps even spawn a mature and appropriate discussion amongst your forum members. If not, then contact the author or try to push the topic into an appropriate direction. Lock/delete/ban if the situation gets out of hand, but I normally don't recommend that solution, since it usually complicates and worsens the issue a lot.
Acreo Aeneas

eUKhost.com

Post by eUKhost.com »

I would say it also depends on how old and mature your most active forum members are and how do they react to such threads. If majority of your forum members are under age, then surely such topics need to be deleted. On the other hand if some members 'Report' the post as offensive, even then I would delete it.

Return to “General Discussion”