rel = nofollow

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
addaminsane

rel = nofollow

Post by addaminsane »

I've been reading alot about the rel = nofollow tag and just wandered if some people might throw out some opinions about it from there perspective. It seems to me that more and more blogs and sites like wikipidedia and such now use the tag as a default. Also, Google allows webmasters to report paid links to prevent people from buying page rank. It seems to me like the nofollow tag would cause alot of the fan base links to your particlular website or forum become worthless as alot of blogs and such us it as default. My main thought is that this is going to cause page rank to become alot less of a factor in how google ranks websites. It really seems to make things a pain as, when you exchange links with other sites you always have to first make sure they're not using the nofollow tag in your link. And you always have to keep an eye on not only the fact that your link is still there, but the fact that it is worth something in the google search engines.

I guess I was just hoping this thread could be a discussion about the rel = nofollow tag, and opinions about it, concerns, likes, or whatever. How do you role with it? How do you work around it as a webmaster/forum operator in terms of seo.

Ricker500

Re: rel = nofollow

Post by Ricker500 »

I've put a lot of serious thought in to the nofollow tag.

There are a few major advantages, one is of course getting control of all the adult content spammers filling your blog comment box or or forum with hundreds of links to sites you don't wish to link to. Using rel nollow when needed is a good thing. I've had big problems with spammers on forums, mostly people just signing up with an adult site registered as web site and never posting anything.

On the other hand. You are destroying the search engines by using the nofollow tag to much. The only reason google and similar engines ca nshow such good results as they actually do is the links. If you start using the nofollow attribute on all forum posts and blogposts your vote wont matter in the engines, and it really should. It's the effort of bloggers and forumposters that makes link based search engines possible.

addaminsane

Post by addaminsane »

Yeah, I really see your point with controlling forum spam, but yeah, the nofollow tag in my mind is an extreme disadvantage to the person who makes a quality website that is pretty new, and needs to build his seo, but isn't made of money and can't buy his way into the search engines. At the same time google is fighting people buying text links. So if you're potentially taking away the effectiveness of everyday people liking your site or forum and at the same time taking away the ability for people to buy links with PR. How in the heck is that going to work? Basically one or the other is what gets site going, either everyday people spreading the word or people paying to get recognition. As a new webmaster, it leaves me baffled at how I should go about big time seo. Unless your a genius site like Facebook, or are lucky enough to know alot of people in alot of hi places on the web, I'm tryin to figure out how new sites will thrive with the "nofollow" tag implemented more and more.

Another point that leaves me discouraged about starting seo is that it seems that my main option seems to be building a big link exchange directory. The nofollow tag adds another pain to the already dreadful link exchange process. Having to check the page source of everyones sites to make sure outbound links don't have the nofollow tag implemented....

I'm not exactly sure how long nofollow has been implemented. I have noticed some sites still buying paid links with PR. To me it seems like the nofollow will, overtime, push more sites with great onpage optimization and lots of content to the top of the search engines. Does anyone else agree or disagree with this? Has anyone noticed much of a change in search engines yet since its been implemented?

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

nofollow is a problem, in my opinion. It doesn't fix the problem (spammers) and it penalizes legitimate users (the rest of us). I don't like it, don't like the fact that it's a default in many applications. It should be my choice to use it selectively, and not automatically applied to every link. It's really not a solution.

A better solution is to prevent undesirable links in the first place, rather than pretending that they don't exist... which is essentially all the nofollow attribute does. :)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

addaminsane

Post by addaminsane »

I strongly agree, and wish I knew more about how the search engine developers weighed the pros and cons of nofollow, decided to go with it, and how they plan to adjust rankings accordingly.

Ricker500

Post by Ricker500 »

When it comes to link exchanges and rel nofollow I can agree that it is a serious problem sometimes. I do a lot of exchanges and it's quite a big job keeping track of them all. But, it is a big job anyway, webmasters who wants to cheat can easily do it in a number of ways even if they don't use a nofollow tag. Unlinking the page after a while is something that has happened to me a few times. You have a link from a links page or a special page about your site and after a month or two it stops counting because it no longer has a link from the main site.

I agree that the problem with faulty links in blog comments and such should be solved with spamfilters or fast and hard moderation. Sometimes this works very well (Akismet is a favourite) but sometimes it doens't work at all, especially if it is orphan sites, sites that the owner left or forgot for some reason. This is of course a problem for the search engines, that you are posting in old forgotten blogs isn't a reason to show your site for the searcher, only the best content is a reason for that.

When it comes to SEO for new sites the only advice I can give is make serious link exchanges with serious link partners or build your own site network with related quality sites. The Digital points forum is a great place to start if you look for exchanges.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I don't use nofollow attribute in most of my sites but it is quite demanding if you have a small forum and are the sole moderator to handle the sometimes huge amounts of fake members posting spam.

addaminsane

Post by addaminsane »

Thanks for that info. Has anyone theories on how the nofollow tag has shaped search results thus far?

Ricker500

Post by Ricker500 »

That is a very interesting question. I can't say that I'm certain of any results at all. This might be because I'm not working within those spam prone areas so I just don't notice the results.

eUKhost.com

Post by eUKhost.com »

No follow tag is not the ideal solution to spam comments on blogs and portals as link spammers will continue to spam to reach the sites that do not use "nofollow" tags to place links for clicking by the site users, even though the links are ignored by search engines.

Ricker500

Post by Ricker500 »

You are right on that, it's not an ideal solution, since commentspam still shows up a lot. The question though is if it is a solution at all. Because if it would decrease the amount of spam it might just be worth it. I'm talking about globally using it, not just on my forum or my blog, but if a majority would use it, would it permanently decrease spam?
/Magnus is a swedish webmaster with more than 40 active sites, one of them a phpBB: Blogg-Forum.se (Swedish)

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Ricker500 wrote:but if a majority would use it, would it permanently decrease spam?
I've seen quite a bit of debate on this, some of it quite vocal. :lol: My opinion is that no, it would not reduce spam at all. Spammers are looking for two things, in theory anyway. They want their links out there to get backlinks for search engines. That can be managed by the nofollow, at least at some level. But there's nothing that will keep a human from clicking / following the link.

The only thing that will permanently descrease spam is to remove the financial incentives for spamming. And google / yahoo are just as much to fault for that. :) How many times have you gone to a "typosite" and seen nothing but a page full of ads? Trust me, some of those are going to be clicked on, and it takes only a few a day on thousands of sites to add up to a nice chunk of change.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Ricker500

Post by Ricker500 »

I hadn't actually thought of the possibility that they could generate traffic through the links, I always thought of it as a show for googlbot. But you are probably right, they should get like a click/1000 views or something.

eUKhost.com

Post by eUKhost.com »

I don't think its the ideal solution as it won't deter the spammers. They would still try and reach out to all types of sites to place their links in anticipation that atleast human visitors would click on their links.

addaminsane

Post by addaminsane »

I believe another reason it doesn't stop spam, is that i'm pretty sure that a good chunk of spammers, maybe a majority don't even know about nofollow tags. And lots of spam isn't simply trying to get clicks to a personal website.

Timu

Post by Timu »

drathbun, I agree with you .. Good users deserve some credit.......... I am against "no follow tag" usage...

Return to “General Discussion”