Ebay Noob

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Ebay Noob

Post by Jim_UK » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:30 pm

After a lot of persuasion I finally signed up for an Ebay account but my experiences so far have led me to believe that I am employing the wrong tactics in getting that must have bargain.
I am savy enough to avoid getting carried away and paying more for an item than it costs down the local store and can see that some sellers charge way over the top for the postage.
My problem is that I keep getting pipped at the post when trying to buy something and often by as little as 50p (about $1)
What techniques do you employ to stand a good chance of that bargain ending up with you?

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

drathbun
Former Team Member

Re: Ebay Noob

Post by drathbun » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:14 pm

You might be a experiencing a practice called "bid sniping". People (or bots) wait until the last minute to put in their bids to avoid tipping their hand too early. I've been an ebay member for quite a while, and have been happy with a number of my purchases. The trick is to be happy with your bid price. If you would be willing to pay 50p more, then do so. If not, don't whine about the fact that someone else is. :-P

Another thing you can do to avoid being too disappointed is to search the completed auctions. How often does the thing you're interested in come up for bidding? If it's fairly frequent, wait a few days and there will be another opportunity. I collect dragons. There was a series of bronze dragons put out a while back that I could only afford to get one of them when they came out. Over the past years I have finished out my collection. Two of them were extremely easy to get, and I got them for about half of the original selling price. The fourth one must not have sold very well, because it rarely showed up on ebay. When I finally found one that included the original custom packaging material I bought it using the "buy it now" feature, and actually paid more than the original list price. At that point it was worth it to me to complete my set. And by doing the research on "completed items" I was prepared to bid higher because I knew it was more rare.

I have had good experiences with ebay.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:25 pm

I have noticed that often the successful bidder is someone that has come along at the last minute and placed perhaps a substantially higher max bid than me. When their bid of say 50p more than mine appears in the dying moments of the auction and I then bid slightly higher I get the annoying message that I have been outbid again. Frantically trying to get in a higher bid but still a sensible one I run out of time.
Ironically on two occasions that I have been outbid I have had an email from the seller to say that they had more than one of the item and that I could have it at my bid price. I therefore get the item at less than the winner of the auction. :D

Jim
The truth is out there.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:35 pm

If you know you are willing to put in a higher bid but don't want to enter it ahead of time, and you can afford to be sitting at your computer as the auction winds down, you can do a manual form of "sniping" by sitting there with two windows (or tabs) open. One has the auction listing. The other has your bid form already filled and and at the final stage, so that all you have to do is click the final button. As the auction gets down to under 30 seconds remaining you click the bid. If you're really bold, wait for 10 seconds. :)

As far as selling stuff outside of ebay, that's technically against the rules, and ebay can and will revoke a seller's membership if they're caught doing that. ebay doesn't make any money on those sales, so of course they want to discourage them.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:05 pm

Jim_UK wrote:When their bid of say 50p more than mine appears in the dying moments of the auction and I then bid slightly higher I get the annoying message that I have been outbid again.
That comes from autobidding.

You can put in a higher money amount than you actually want to pay at the time but it will only up your bid by the minimum amount.
Then if someone outbids you it will automatically increase your bid again by the minimum and it will keep going until it gets to your entered bid amount.

So if an item is £5 and the next accepted bid is £5.50 you can put a bid of £10 in (assuming that's what you're willing to go up to) but your actual current bid on the item will be £5.50. If someone goes to £6, you will automatically put in a bid of £6.50 and it will keep doing that all the way up to your maximum of a tenner.

That's how you're being outbid in a matter of seconds.

I think :)
I'm a bit of an ebay novice myself too!
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:12 pm

Regarding the "selling outside of ebay" remark I made earlier... there is an option for an ebay seller to make a second chance offer, or something like that. I don't remember what the exact terminology is. Those transactions are done within the system, and I was probably premature to jump to the conclusion that you were doing things outside of ebay.

Does anybody remember (or know) why ebay was founded? What the original purpose was? :-) No fair googling for the answer if you don't know it... :P

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:15 pm

But a bargain is when you get something for less than you would have been prepared to pay for it Kevin.
I am perhaps being too cautious and placing max bids far less than I am prepared to pay for the item in the hope of a real bargain. I then get pipped at the post as I try to enter gradually higher bids in the dying seconds.

Jim
The truth is out there.

Anaximander Thales

Post by Anaximander Thales » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:01 am

I don't bid to often on ebay, but I've only been snipped once -- I'll tell a bit about that in a second. I've found that if I make my bid up to the point I'm willing to pay, I don't get snipped as often. This means that you really need to make your decision before you even place the bid. I research what I want -- if it's new, I figure out what's the cheapest I can get that item. Then I determine what my max will be.

Ex: New GPS system, costs $200 in a store, I find that I can get it for $150 (including shipping and handling) from an online store, I'll max my bid at $175 dollars. If a person decides that they are going to snipe me, they aren't getting a really good deal. If I get it for less than that, then great.

As I said, I've been snipped once (a testament to the fact that I don't use ebay that often). It was a discontinued processor that I was going to put in a dead machine. I really wanted it, so I set max price to the price that I paid for the original processor -- $120 dollars -- I could have gotten it for $40 right before it was discontinued. It looked as if I could have gotten the processor for $25 dollars right up to the last 30 seconds of the auction. I never thought anyone would go up to $120, but it got snipped.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball peen hammer.

MrVent

Post by MrVent » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:28 am

I'm an ebay user myself.. I use to bid also... But nothing happened to me that happened to you...

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:47 pm

Has anyone been involved in a bad transaction? One that resulted in negative feedback?

So far I have had one that came close; I bought a DVD set that turned out to be a booleg "import" copy rather than the original. No wonder it was so cheap. I was rather irritated, but it turned out that it played fine in my dvd player anyway. Rather than leave negative feedback I just skipped leaving feedback at all.

laisvai

Post by laisvai » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:19 pm

Maybe month ago i decided to buy some cd. It is only way to buy this cd i think, but oh well as a newcomer i didn't read too much, i filled all required data, win the auction, and after 2 days just realized that this is cassete that i win :lol: i tried to cancel my bid and so on, but with no luck :x well i did not pay...i got warning from ebay...So how things are going in such cases? they redo the auction or that?

ryan1918dotcom
I've Been Banned!

Post by ryan1918dotcom » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:00 pm

If I want something I check it out, hopefully it don't have any bids or many at all, than I bookmark the page, NEVER BID until the last few minutes, upon a minute to go I start bidding, and put my MAX I would want to pay for the item and almost 80% of the time I win, and everyone that has been trying to get it for days and days is screwed and I win, Sorry JIM :evil:
http://www.ryan1918.com More than security.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:32 am

You know, there are places where you can do that automatically ...
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:01 am

If you "snipe" automatically, you are never tempted to go over your budget at the last minute. -- That last minute can be very exhilarating, but if you auto-snipe, it keeps you from making irrational decisions.

The last 10 computers I have owned I purchased off of eBay, and I was actually a Silver Powerseller for a short time (3 months).
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

starware

Post by starware » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:57 pm

drathbun wrote:Has anyone been involved in a bad transaction? One that resulted in negative feedback?

So far I have had one that came close; I bought a DVD set that turned out to be a booleg "import" copy rather than the original. No wonder it was so cheap. I was rather irritated, but it turned out that it played fine in my dvd player anyway. Rather than leave negative feedback I just skipped leaving feedback at all.
One person bid on my gameboy and then didn't pay, then the same type of thing happened with other people so the non payer got booted off ebay.

Toward the bootleg imports, even if you nor anyone you know cares if the dvd's are bootleg you don't get a guarentee of quality. So sometimes a couple episodes of a TV series won't play completely.
Pardon my bad english, I'm american. :P

Return to “General Discussion”