News about the iPhone hack

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

News about the iPhone hack

Post by darcie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:42 am

Yesterday a 17 year old posted how to hack an Apple iPhone, and today it is national news. This morning, his last post had 58 comments. Now there are 298. He posted all the steps on his blog http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/, then listed the phone used for the demo on eBay as the "World's Second Unlocked iPhone". As of this moment, it has a high bid of $99,999,999.00. Not sure how many of those are genuine. ;) His name got purchased by someone else and listed as a domain name with an asking price of $50,000, and others are selling the steps he posted as a guide on eBay for anywhere from $0.99 to $39.99.

So... discuss... I'll give you some topics. ;) Is this good news? Are you glad that AT&T won't completely have the monopoly on the iPhone contracts? How do you feel about those making money off his work? Is this how most 17 year olds spend the summer before they go to college these days? ;)
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

lurttinen
Translator
Name: Martti Lokka

Re: News about the iPhone hack

Post by lurttinen » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:34 pm

Some phones are locked to a certain service provider. ie, the phone company sells the phone cheaper if the customer makes for example two year plan with that operator.
During that time the phone will accept sim cards only from that operator.
Unlocking the phone frees it to use sim cards from all the service providers, but it wont free you from the monthly payments from the original contract.

Unlocking a phone is no big deal and it has been done in the past many times. There are even websites which sell unlocking stuff.
Generally locking a phone to a provider is just a marketing gimmick and might be an expensive way to fund your phone if you cannot buy it directly.
Signature is here

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:00 pm

When I first read this it was "so what, they've been selling unlocked phones on ebay since it started."

But it seems that there is a difference. The early unlocked phones were "Unlocked" in such a way that you could use them as a wireless internet device, but only on free services. It was not altered in such a way that you could take it to another service and use it via a different SIM card.

I still really don't care. :) One giant "meh" from me.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:58 pm

I think it is rather cool. I read it on MSN and watched the interview this morning and was going to start such a topic, but decided not to.

Technologically, his hack is really quite good. It is sound and quite an interesting read from what I've read so far.

However, as much as I hate to agree with Dvorak, he has a point. This is not something the average person is going to do. You risk blowing up 500-600 dollars worth of hardware, invalidating the warranty, and it isn't easy to do.

However, it is still really cool.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

sonyboy

Post by sonyboy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:47 am

This is good news for the consumers especially those live outside US. It is bad for them Apple and AT&T, I wonder what are their response about this and what they're gonna do about it.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:16 am

I believe that I read somewhere that the Apple response was basically, "go for it". They don't really care, as they just want to sell the hardware. Besides, if someone borks their phone while trying to unlock it, they'll buy another one. :)

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:59 pm

drathbun wrote:Besides, if someone borks their phone while trying to unlock it, they'll buy another one. :)
Hah, if he has that sort of money.

No, AT&T will be irritated, and Apple may be annoyed because they will be allowed less negotiating room in future contracts with European and other non-US mobile phone operators. However, I don't think anyone in the "industry" could claim that he didn't see this coming. There is no way that they could prosecute this boy (the United States' Digital Millennium Copyright Act excludes phone unlocking from its prohibitions) and I imagine any civil suit against him would also fail.
Roberdin

lurttinen
Translator
Name: Martti Lokka

Post by lurttinen » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:52 pm

Roberdin wrote: and Apple may be annoyed because they will be allowed less negotiating room in future contracts with European and other non-US mobile phone operators.
Why? For example here it was illegal to lock a phone to a service provider. It was changed some time ago so now you can.
I dont see iphone here as being a proprietary product of some specific operator as those contracts are not that popular here. There is simply a LOT cheaper ways to fund a phone than just lock it and pay heavy fees.
I read that the only operator in the US for iphone is AT&t, which offer two year plans starting from 60$/month + what you yap on the phone.
Actually the normal price here with a locked phone comes close/or slightly higher to what the phones real market value was in the time when you got it.
Signature is here

sunrise99

Post by sunrise99 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:52 am

I like iPHONE
Free 250MB 100GB BW PHP Web Hosting http://yourcrm.cn

sensiblealphabet

Post by sensiblealphabet » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:45 pm

Did anyone ever figure out a convertor for the Apple MPeg4 encoding - I remember there was a law suit about it, and how Apple is restricting users and their competition over using the filetype.

Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:09 pm

Techie-Micheal wrote:This is not something the average person is going to do.
Which is exactly why third party services will crop up, just as it has with gaming consoles and mod chips. There are currently millions of modded consoles owned by 'average' people who have no clue how to do it themselves.
Its inevitable for any highly popular device really, if there's untapped potential that consumers want, a solution will find its way to the masses.

There were people who were happy buying the iphone and semi-unlocking it (so that you could use it as a wifi device/browser etc (basically every single feature except the phone feature)) - so imagine how much more people will be interested now since you can now fully unlock it, to get every single feature as well as the phone feature with a provider of your choice and no contract.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:38 am

Apparently the guy got a car out of the deal. And a job.

iPhone hacker gets car and consulting gig

That particular link goes to a blog, but you can google for more details. Seems that he tried to auction it on ebay but the price kept being bumped by bogus users. So he traded the phone to a company and got a 350Z and this job:
According to the Certicell website, Hotz will also train Certicell staff on the iPhone unlocking process and will provide technical support to “solve other handset software issues.” Certicell has no current plans to “commercialize” the unlocking process.

Return to “General Discussion”