The Internet is becoming worthless... and I blame google

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Re: The Internet is becoming worthless... and I blame google

Post by SamG »

drathbun wrote:As the board grew, the reality was I could not fund it out of my pocket anymore...
I'd like to think we aren't talking about chickens versus eggs. I think people who find it necessary to fund heavily trafficked sites via ads (or fees, or whatever) are outside the domain of this discussion. Neither Google nor the people who are in this situation and using Google-sponsored ad programs are diluting content.

Tmac

Post by Tmac »

Of course google has something to do with it.

But as every situation, we have two sides.

Google ads made possible a lot of good/great site/blogs/small forums to exist. Not only exist but exist on decent paid webhosts, without a crapload of popups.

I remeber the old days, most sites were on crap free webhosts with download quota, popups, flash popup banners and so on. Geocities, lycos, fortunecity and so on.

The old days weren't exactly perfect...

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

SamG wrote:I'd like to think we aren't talking about chickens versus eggs. I think people who find it necessary to fund heavily trafficked sites via ads (or fees, or whatever) are outside the domain of this discussion. Neither Google nor the people who are in this situation and using Google-sponsored ad programs are diluting content.
Agreed, 100%.
Tmac wrote:Google ads made possible a lot of good/great site/blogs/small forums to exist. Not only exist but exist on decent paid webhosts, without a crapload of popups.
I wonder how true this is, really? Google doesn't pay out until your account hits $100. I know a lot of smaller boards / blogs / etc. that might be making $3-5 a month. If that. At that rate it will be a while before they're going to see a check.
I remeber the old days, most sites were on crap free webhosts with download quota, popups, flash popup banners and so on. Geocities, lycos, fortunecity and so on.

The old days weren't exactly perfect...
Heh, they rarely are. :-) But the kicker question is: Do you think you better off today than you were then?
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I'm guessing most of us are old enough to remember when DMOZ was the place to go for search results (there or Altavista 8-) ).

What if that formula was to make a comeback in the form of Sproose? Users tell the search engine which results were helpful to finding their information.

If Google Internet search were to lose its dominance, I would imagine this would remove some of the incentive built into AdWords. I'm not sure that the Internet would "recover" per the thesis of this topic, though.

Do you think the fate of the Internet rests with Google?
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

I wanted to register a .com website. The domain I wanted was available. I decided to buy it a few days later. By accident It because a few weeks later but then I realised the website was unavailable because it had become an advertising site.I was soo annoyed and had to put up with .co.uk . Luckily my web host provides a domain forever feature so I will keep my domain unless I decide to let it die.

I think this is an annoying problem. There is no need for these website's . I have seen google is behind some of them yes.

buzzlastyear

Post by buzzlastyear »

Google, the company has employees to pay and a business to run so they have to make money somehow. Google the Search Engine is just software, web surfers can use it for free and I think it's not too bad at what it does. Having said all that, I do think that the efforts at "gaming the search engines" has caused problems with the quality of search results. Not so long ago "link farms" were a quick way to get backlinks to increase SEO. Google picked up on this and tweaked the software, now your website coiuld suffer if you use some of these tactics.

I have no idea how many more websites there are now compared with say even two or three years ago, but I would think it could be millions. Google has to keep up with this in terms of search results relevance and scaleability and if Google wants to keep on top of the game they will have to keep working at it, but I don't suppose it's easy . So I think there has been a drop in quality in the last few years but I think it's less Googles fault and more to do with the nature of the web, and the speed at which it is growing and with the increase in users, e-commerce, targeted marketing, social networking ,there is probably a lot more interest in making money than providing good content and that would be a loss to us all in the long run. The only people who can really sort this are... Google I suppose. BTW I don't work for Google.

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG »

god0fgod wrote:I wanted to register a .com website. The domain I wanted was available. I decided to buy it a few days later. By accident It because a few weeks later but then I realised the website was unavailable because it had become an advertising site.I was soo annoyed and had to put up with .co.uk . Luckily my web host provides a domain forever feature so I will keep my domain unless I decide to let it die.

I think this is an annoying problem. There is no need for these website's . I have seen google is behind some of them yes.
The site was probably registered BECAUSE you searched for it first.

A lot of the registrars and such record what websites are searched for on the pages for buying domains - and if not purchased someone may well then register them - cyber squat :(

So never search for a domain name to see if it is active till you are ready to buy.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

ChrisRLG wrote:The site was probably registered BECAUSE you searched for it first.

A lot of the registrars and such record what websites are searched for on the pages for buying domains - and if not purchased someone may well then register them - cyber squat :(
I have seen this written up many times, with different degrees of verification. I do know that it happens often enough that folks do think there is something behind it. I also know that I search for domains all the time, and so far they've never been registered just because of that. Maybe you need to use a different service to search for domain availability.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

ChrisRLG wrote:
god0fgod wrote:I wanted to register a .com website. The domain I wanted was available. I decided to buy it a few days later. By accident It because a few weeks later but then I realised the website was unavailable because it had become an advertising site.I was soo annoyed and had to put up with .co.uk . Luckily my web host provides a domain forever feature so I will keep my domain unless I decide to let it die.

The site was probably registered BECAUSE you searched for it first.

So never search for a domain name to see if it is active till you are ready to buy.
Damn I think you are right. I guess .co.uk isn't that bad however as I am british anyway. So it makes sense kinda.

Tmac

Post by Tmac »

drathbun wrote:
ChrisRLG wrote:The site was probably registered BECAUSE you searched for it first.

I have seen this written up many times, with different degrees of verification. I do know that it happens often enough that folks do think there is something behind it. I also know that I search for domains all the time, and so far they've never been registered just because of that. Maybe you need to use a different service to search for domain availability.

Yup. If they start to register every single domain someone's search, they whould go bankrupt.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

drathbun wrote:I have seen this written up many times, with different degrees of verification. I do know that it happens often enough that folks do think there is something behind it.
I don't do a lot of domain name shopping or buying, but once a domain name was bought within a couple of days of my search. The buyer was a domain name broker, not somebody actually interested in the domain name. It's a weird (and a little frustrating) experience when it happens, whatever the coincidence or cause.

If there's a way to pin hijacked web host-provided domain name searches on Google, I'd be open to that. :mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion”