Facebook opens for Google

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Ricker500

Facebook opens for Google

Post by Ricker500 »

Facebook opens for indexing by Google. What's your opinions on this?

My 2 biggest concerns are the personal information issue and a possible spam issue.

Personal Information.
Facebook has a way of getting people to be more open about themself, with real name and phonenumber and things like that. Sure, you can still set it to private but my guess is that lots of computer illiterates will forget about this.

Spam
I don't know anyone that uses myspace anymore and google is much to blame here. If it hadn't been for the seo potential of myspace (of old) I believe myspace would still be a reasonable neighbourhood for people that want to meet others or find good music.

I've done a small post about it in my blogg if anyone wants some more input: [dead link : removed]

What do you think?
Last edited by camm15h on Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed (dead) - "blog archived or suspended for a violation TOS"?
/Magnus is a swedish webmaster with more than 40 active sites, one of them a phpBB: Blogg-Forum.se (Swedish)

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Re: Facebook opens for Google

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

It certainly isn't a first step; the "applications" they added aren't a good sign. For example, "Freebee" allows you to earn free gift cards to fun retailers -- if you and 5 friends sign up for a Visa (or whoever the sponsors of the moment are).

Sigh.

Needless to say, I'm not too happy with FB at the moment. I disabled Google and its ilk from viewing my profile as soon as I saw the notice.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

eUKhost.com

Post by eUKhost.com »

One of the best features of Facebook was privacy. One could be assured that what was in Facebook will remain in Facebook. Now there’s an option to keep you information private.

darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie »

It seems that all they are making searchable/findable by Google and other search engines is your name and your picture. The rest of your profile is not accessible. And you can easily turn it off with un-ticking a box. So...? For me it's not a big deal. I have plenty of people I've lost contact with that I've just recently found again through Facebook. This just might make it easier to find them.

Of course, if it does turn out like MySpace where I get tons of spam add requests from "girls" wanting me to view their pictures on some other site, I'll be eating my words. ;)
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Ricker500 wrote:Personal Information.
Facebook has a way of getting people to be more open about themself, with real name and phonenumber and things like that. Sure, you can still set it to private but my guess is that lots of computer illiterates will forget about this.
If you are not sufficient astute to spot the big notice, that's your fault. Besides, at most, it will only show your name and picture to those who aren't logged-in and a member of your network.
Roberdin

Ricker500

Post by Ricker500 »

I'd say that is pretty harsh, what about those who haven't logged in for a long while?
/Magnus is a swedish webmaster with more than 40 active sites, one of them a phpBB: Blogg-Forum.se (Swedish)

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

They will have some time to be alerted to this.
Furthermore, in my understanding, the Google search will expose no more information about you than you already have set to expose to those in your network - which, generally, anyone is free to join.
Roberdin

Ricker500

Post by Ricker500 »

They will have some time to be alerted to this.

I'm not so sure about this. Ok, atm Facebook has been rather active compared to myspace in my opinion but there must still be lots of people that signed up, added personal info and the stopped using it.

It's ok that all these people get their info published becuase they once signed up for a service that didn't at that time publish this information? If you would use that reasoning any site could publish your information after a while.

madd74

Post by madd74 »

Ricker500 wrote:Facebook opens for indexing by Google. What's your opinions on this?

My 2 biggest concerns are the personal information issue and a possible spam issue.

Personal Information.

Spam
I don't know anyone that uses myspace anymore and google is much to blame here. If it hadn't been for the seo potential of myspace (of old) I believe myspace would still be a reasonable neighbourhood for people that want to meet others or find good music.

I've done a small post about it in my blogg if anyone wants some more input: [dead link : removed]

What do you think?
While this is slightly off from your actual question, I really think that myspace has done a better job... even though I do not care for them personally. I have a lot of net n00b friends who think that is the only way to stay in touch, when my forum works much better than that garbage :D Still, it is nice that I no longer get 9 invites in 2 minutes from the same spam bot wanting me to watch chicks on horses and garbage like that. Of course, I really will miss reporting every one of those accounts and having them toasted.

Facebook... myspace... LJ... myspace... it just goes on an one. The net has become lost, and not even mapquest or google earth can save it.

my Image :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”