Why do hosting companies have hot babes in their ads?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Why do hosting companies have hot babes in their ads?

Post by jaunty_mellifluous »

Most hosting companies have that. I suppose it works!
Stay Cool!

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Why do hosting companies have hot babes in their ads?

Post by Brf »

More than just hosting compnaies....
The purpose of the ad is to catch your attention.

jaunty_mellifluous

Yes, but women surf internet too. Looking from that perspective.
Stay Cool!

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

Probably for the same reason that the motor shows have scantily dressed "ladies" draped over the bonnets of their cars. If you buy that new car then maybe your luck is in and you will get a girl like that as a "seat cover" I believe the expression is. (not trying to be sexist)
Maybe some folks think that the girl advertising the hosting is a part of that company and it will be her that they speak to.

We perhaps should question seriously the use of women as sex objects to lure men into signing up or buying.
I think it is degrading.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

jaunty_mellifluous

Exactly my point. Companies should have a balance while selecting their models.
Stay Cool!

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

In the case of cars there should be no need to have a model of course. In the case of the hosting companies it tends to be an attractive female that is used to advertise the "live help"

Totally unnecessary.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

bdwarr6 wrote:It has been proven in many study's that you are more likely to click on something containing a woman, or a female voice than a males voice. :D
That's if you are a man of course ;).

Seriously though, it's all done to increase the amount of signups that a company gets. Also remember that the web and specifically getting and running web hosting is a very male dominated environment; companies are going to use whatever gets the most sales.

As people have said, it's exactly the same with cars and even more so with bikes (go to any Motorcycle Show if you don't know what I mean).

Mark

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

If it's not necessary then the market will encourage these companies not to engage in the practise.
Roberdin

Xclavo

Post by Xclavo »

IMO, Woman like looking at other Woman too. No matter what thier sexual preferance.

I've seen Metro Sexual guys on ads too, to be fair.
jaunty_mellifluous wrote:Yes, but women surf internet too. Looking from that perspective.

madd74

Post by madd74 »

It is a psychological thing. For guys, it is something they subconsciously want, and for many woman, subconsciously what they want to be. Just like when you call many companies, even when you are peeved at them, you hear them brand their name about three times during the call... so it gets registered into the back of your mind.

It irritates me... maybe I should have not taken a psychology study :D :lol:

jaunty_mellifluous

Good point, women look at other women because they want to be like them etc etc. Makes notes. lol
Stay Cool!

dellsystem
Former Team Member
Name: Wendy

Post by dellsystem »

I don't think hosting companies really need models in their ads. I just clicked on a banner at the bottom of the page advertising a hosting company, and I did it because it had very enticing features, not because of the model. But I guess the idea is that people are drawn to things that look good, that are aesthetically pleasing, and just as one would be more likely to stay in a beautifully decorated hotel room than a drab or ratty-looking one for the same price, our minds are drawn to the ads that feature beautiful models in them.

Good for the companies and the models - not so good for unnattractive models :D
Former moderator and website team member | My MODs, and more (GitHub)

madd74

Post by madd74 »

dellsystem wrote:I don't think hosting companies really need models in their ads. I just clicked on a banner at the bottom of the page advertising a hosting company, and I did it because it had very enticing features, not because of the model. But I guess the idea is that people are drawn to things that look good, that are aesthetically pleasing, and just as one would be more likely to stay in a beautifully decorated hotel room than a drab or ratty-looking one for the same price, our minds are drawn to the ads that feature beautiful models in them.

Good for the companies and the models - not so good for unnattractive models :D
Yes, exactly, attracted to things that look good, the reason you cannot turn on your TV without seeing a hot guy or girl promoting something that has nothing to do with the product.

I actually click on no banners. I detest ads to the fullest extent, because how they are used, spam, and everything else that violates my ability to enjoy my life without shaking windows, stupid "win this not so free free item" and everything else. If something happens to really catch my eye, then I will search for it on a search engine and enter the link direct. Last thing I want to do is add fuel to their fire. "Oh my gosh, someone clicked our link, let's make 9 million more and send to every email address, and wite site, and make the ads make annoying sounds to get MORE attention, because our one attempt worked on one person".

No sir's and ma'am's... not going to play that game :D

:sigh: thank you so much, phpbb, for not being filled with ads on your forums :)

jaunty_mellifluous

madd74 wrote: Last thing I want to do is add fuel to their fire. "Oh my gosh, someone clicked our link, let's make 9 million more and send to every email address, and wite site, and make the ads make annoying sounds to get MORE attention, because our one attempt worked on one person".
Oh no.. you knew already!!!
Stay Cool!

beatme101

Post by beatme101 »

There's a very very simple term for summing up this entire thread that I hear used alot, but hasn't been used here yet.. So I think I'll point it out: 'sex sells'.
madd74 wrote:I actually click on no banners. I detest ads to the fullest extent, because how they are used, spam, and everything else that violates my ability to enjoy my life without shaking windows, stupid "win this not so free free item" and everything else. If something happens to really catch my eye, then I will search for it on a search engine and enter the link direct. Last thing I want to do is add fuel to their fire. "Oh my gosh, someone clicked our link, let's make 9 million more and send to every email address, and wite site, and make the ads make annoying sounds to get MORE attention, because our one attempt worked on one person".

No sir's and ma'am's... not going to play that game :D

:sigh: thank you so much, phpbb, for not being filled with ads on your forums :)
This looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship. :) (I too hate ads, so much in fact that I offer my hosts file block as a download for all.)

Return to “General Discussion”