Why do hosting companies have hot babes in their ads?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
madd74

Re: Why do hosting companies have hot babes in their ads?

Post by madd74 »

:pulls out gun:

you are one of THEM, aren't you :p

worldquality

Post by worldquality »

Xclavo wrote:IMO, Woman like looking at other Woman too. No matter what thier sexual preferance.

I've seen Metro Sexual guys on ads too, to be fair.
jaunty_mellifluous wrote:Yes, but women surf internet too. Looking from that perspective.
8-)

madd74

Post by madd74 »

beatme101 wrote:There's a very very simple term for summing up this entire thread that I hear used alot, but hasn't been used here yet.. So I think I'll point it out: 'sex sells'.
madd74 wrote:I actually click on no banners. I detest ads to the fullest extent, because how they are used, spam, and everything else that violates my ability to enjoy my life without shaking windows, stupid "win this not so free free item" and everything else. If something happens to really catch my eye, then I will search for it on a search engine and enter the link direct. Last thing I want to do is add fuel to their fire. "Oh my gosh, someone clicked our link, let's make 9 million more and send to every email address, and wite site, and make the ads make annoying sounds to get MORE attention, because our one attempt worked on one person".

No sir's and ma'am's... not going to play that game :D

:sigh: thank you so much, phpbb, for not being filled with ads on your forums :)
This looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship. :) (I too hate ads, so much in fact that I offer my hosts file block as a download for all.)
aye, sex does sell... it sells because the very act of sex, and desire, is programmed into humans (as well as many other living organism), and that is the reason we aer so fasinated by it, and with that, you can use it in ads, and that will help sell your product. while it was not used word for word as you put it, it was more than implied.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by the file block, unless you mean that ad block thing that is on your website. I must say, a most unusual way that I have ever seen a website created. Your navigation is most certainly not anything of the norm.

oh my word, tribes!! Tribes is the very first MMOG that I ever played!! Ah... memories...

beatme101

Post by beatme101 »

madd74 wrote:I am not exactly sure what you mean by the file block, unless you mean that ad block thing that is on your website. I must say, a most unusual way that I have ever seen a website created. Your navigation is most certainly not anything of the norm.

oh my word, tribes!! Tribes is the very first MMOG that I ever played!! Ah... memories...
The hosts file is a wonderful file that allows you to redirect hosts to different IP addresses; it is often used to block advertisements, by redirecting them to other IP addresses (like 127.0.0.1; your own computer, which obviously will not serve up an advertisement). My ad blocker on my web site is simply a hosts file with lots and lots of entries.

I've been meaning to change the layout of my site a little.. :P It's worked like this for years though. :)

Tribes? An MMOG? Maybe we have our games confused here.. I've never heard of anyone considering Tribes an MMOG before.. Generally MMOG is used to describe games with thousands of players on a single server; Tribes is limited in the code to 255 players per server; but few people have enough bandwidth to satisfy that, so a server is rarely set to more than 32 players. Furthermore, the maker of the game doesn't host game servers, it's all up to the community. ;)

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

I think I'm going to drop the exe and start RE'ing it. Most people will do something like stick up a simple text file, because that's all it takes. ;)

Unfortunately, sex does sell. The mainstream audience for webhosting companies is probably somewhere in males 18-40, right? Does that make it right? No, of course not. I prefer not to look at ads of scantily clad women trying to sell something other than the product they are advertising. TV commercials are the exact same way. Women parading around in their underwear to sell shampoo? I don't think so ...
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

You might not click the link right away or buy the shampoo, but the next time you go out to get shampoo the chance is that you subconsciously select the product which was advertised with bare skin.

One intention of the ad is not to make you click or buy right away. The point is to make you remember the the product for later purpose. Be it shampoo or anything you are already a bit biased towards the advertised product.

EDIT: Its like your friend tells you this is good chocolate. You probably buy it next time you go to store.
Signature is here

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

I have seen half a dozen shampoo advertisements about some kind of shampoo that implies it makes a girl's hair more attractive to touch than any other area. Unfortunately, the message has backfired somewhat as I don't remember which shampoo it was: I was too distracted by the models.
Roberdin

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

Adverts rarely give any details on the product meaning I never buy the product that was advertised unless I find details elsewhere. I want to know about the product and adverts should try to give more information. Although I don't mind hot babes appearing ;) .

madd74

Post by madd74 »

beatme101 wrote:The hosts file is a wonderful file that allows you to redirect hosts to different IP addresses; it is often used to block advertisements, by redirecting them to other IP addresses (like 127.0.0.1; your own computer, which obviously will not serve up an advertisement). My ad blocker on my web site is simply a hosts file with lots and lots of entries.

I've been meaning to change the layout of my site a little.. :P It's worked like this for years though. :)

Tribes? An MMOG? Maybe we have our games confused here.. I've never heard of anyone considering Tribes an MMOG before.. Generally MMOG is used to describe games with thousands of players on a single server; Tribes is limited in the code to 255 players per server; but few people have enough bandwidth to satisfy that, so a server is rarely set to more than 32 players. Furthermore, the maker of the game doesn't host game servers, it's all up to the community. ;)
Yeah, I am familiar with what a host file is, I was not sure to your reference to downloading it. Is your host file have the spybot host file edits on them also? I love that thing :D

Hey, I am all too familiar with website layout looking the same for years... mine is that way! Nice to see similar company, hehehe.

Well... keep in mind I have not played it for billions of years (or 8 or so), and while the general definition of a MMOG is 200+, Tribes was the first game where I played with more than one person online (that I remember), and I was all tripped out and freaking on how cool that was (mind you, I have done LAN games before in which I played with 8+ people, but not anything over the net). So to me it was a massive multi online game :) Yes, I agree with the bandwith deal, as I ran across that plenty of times. I think Tribes was the first game where I really learned what "lag" was, hahaha!! Man I miss the old days.

madd74

Post by madd74 »

god0fgod wrote:Adverts rarely give any details on the product meaning I never buy the product that was advertised unless I find details elsewhere. I want to know about the product and adverts should try to give more information. Although I don't mind hot babes appearing ;) .
haha, hot babes, that is what search engines are good for!! hehehe

beatme101

Post by beatme101 »

madd74 wrote:Yeah, I am familiar with what a host file is, I was not sure to your reference to downloading it. Is your host file have the spybot host file edits on them also? I love that thing :D
You made it seem as though you had absolutely no idea what a hosts file was, calling it a "file block"..
Nope, My hosts file doesn't have those in it. I didn't even know Spybot changed the hosts file.. My hosts file has ALOT of stuff in it though. I regularly update it with new blocked ads.

madd74 wrote:Hey, I am all too familiar with website layout looking the same for years... mine is that way! Nice to see similar company, hehehe.
:P I'm mostly lazy.. And occupied with silly things.

madd74 wrote:Well... keep in mind I have not played it for billions of years (or 8 or so), and while the general definition of a MMOG is 200+, Tribes was the first game where I played with more than one person online (that I remember), and I was all tripped out and freaking on how cool that was (mind you, I have done LAN games before in which I played with 8+ people, but not anything over the net). So to me it was a massive multi online game :) Yes, I agree with the bandwith deal, as I ran across that plenty of times. I think Tribes was the first game where I really learned what "lag" was, hahaha!! Man I miss the old days.
Tribes has kind of died down since then, but it still has some players :)

madd74 wrote:haha, hot babes, that is what search engines are good for!! hehehe
Well said. :P

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

beatme101 wrote:
madd74 wrote:
Accuracy is always good though. You can get things you don't want.

madd74

Post by madd74 »

beatme101 wrote:You made it seem as though you had absolutely no idea what a hosts file was, calling it a "file block"..
Nope, My hosts file doesn't have those in it. I didn't even know Spybot changed the hosts file.. My hosts file has ALOT of stuff in it though. I regularly update it with new blocked ads.
Well, while it has been a while, I do believe my reference was to you saying "file block", which I have not ever heard a host file called before. When I went to your site originally, I do not remember seeing a cross reference to the two. Mind you, it does not mean it was not there, I was on a work computer, so me wanting to download anything was not in mind :D
beatme101 wrote: :P I'm mostly lazy.. And occupied with silly things.
hahaha, same world, my friend, same world
beatme101 wrote: Tribes has kind of died down since then, but it still has some players :)
Well, I would agree, especially with Halo3, Half-Life, Unreal, and everything else out there. The problem with Tribes, similar to many MMOG (and another reason I consider it as such), is that Tribes has almost no single playing ability... at least in 1... I do not remember playing 2 enough that is single player support is around. So all these other games, like Unreal, support a decent single player experience, and some people want to do both...
beatme101 wrote:
hehehe, thank you!
god0fgod wrote:
beatme101 wrote:
madd74 wrote:
Accuracy is always good though. You can get things you don't want.
Oh yeah, that is true, and you can thank shady web sites using bad meta tags or adding invisible keywords in their site. Boo to them!!

eUKhost.com

Post by eUKhost.com »

One of the ways to attract attention towards your business is a visually appealing ad. If you can appeal to the audience visually, then you may very well become attractive to them and this greatly affects their buying habits. Appeal to their senses in just the right way, and you’ve got paying customers! That’s attractive advertising and the kind of advertising that will bring in SALES. ;)

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

Presumably the reason you have two attractive ladies on your own site eh! :D

I can never understand why when I contact my tech support that I always get Vladimir or Ivan and it is never the young lady shown. I must always be contacting them on her day off or should I contact the trades descriptions police. :lol:

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

Return to “General Discussion”