Blogging and posting for cash, a crime?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
CoenJacobs

Blogging and posting for cash, a crime?

Post by CoenJacobs »

In the world of weblogging, this is a mayor item. The last few months the Pagerank fell for some great weblogs/websites, all because of paid links. Off course, the idea of paid links is a bad thing, but paid links inside great content that is related to the links, is that bad too? :?

The idea of paid postings is simple, you write a post about a service or product for (most of the times) a company. In the posting, off course, there are some links that will promote the website of the company. If bloggers post their opinion, and nothing but their opinion, everything looks fine to me. The bloggers just shouldn't be distracted by the money they get paid, but simply post their opinion, just like they would do in a 'free post'.

What do you think about paid postings, as long as the blogger posts his/her opinion? :)

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Re: Blogging and posting for cash, a crime?

Post by Techie-Micheal »

A crime?!?! Hardly. It is their blog, they put up the content they want. Provided it doesn't break any laws in their country of course. Advertising is not against the law (as much as some of us wish it was sometimes). That's all it is, is advertising.

There are companies setup to help bloggers do just what you are asking. Bloggers put up a notice saying that's what they are doing, and post away, as long as it follows the rules set forth by the respective companies, they are free to post on their blog.

Now, the only remotely possible way crime would be involved is if it is SPAM. And even then, it isn't always a crime, unfortunately.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

CoenJacobs

Post by CoenJacobs »

Techie-Micheal wrote:A crime?!?! Hardly. It is their blog, they put up the content they want. Provided it doesn't break any laws in their country of course. Advertising is not against the law (as much as some of us wish it was sometimes). That's all it is, is advertising.
So true, but most of the reactions that bloggers are getting on advertorials don't think this way. Looks like most readers of weblogs think different then bloggers itself.
There are companies setup to help bloggers do just what you are asking. Bloggers put up a notice saying that's what they are doing, and post away, as long as it follows the rules set forth by the respective companies, they are free to post on their blog.
I know, I posted two paid blogs now for such a company that you describe. I try to give my personal opinion in the posts, but the visitors keep complaining (not only on my blog btw) about the influence of the money!
Now, the only remotely possible way crime would be involved is if it is SPAM. And even then, it isn't always a crime, unfortunately.
I don't think we will have to worry about this, since there are some rules that bloggers need to follow in order to get paid! ;)

eUKhost.com

Post by eUKhost.com »

As long as the posts and comments are relevant and to the point, I don't think there is any harm in paid postings.

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

It's not a crime, but the question is "is it ethical"? If a blog that's supposed to be neutral, is it appropriate that they are being paid to endorse a product? If a company is "secretly" marketing a product through bloggers, that in my mind raises suspicions over how honest the company actually is.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Anon wrote:It's not a crime, but the question is "is it ethical"? If a blog that's supposed to be neutral, is it appropriate that they are being paid to endorse a product? If a company is "secretly" marketing a product through bloggers, that in my mind raises suspicions over how honest the company actually is.
Who says blogs are supposed to be neutral? I don't think I've ever seen a neutral blog. They are highly susceptible to opinions, that's what makes them blogs.

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Perhaps neutral wasn't the best word to use. I mean in terms of corporate sponsorship. Opinions are fine, so long as they really are opinions, rather "opinions" the blogger has because they were paid $250 to promote a product in a post ;)

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

It may be worth noting that some (not all) pay-per-post programs require you to disclose that you are indeed writing a post for that program.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Anon wrote:Perhaps neutral wasn't the best word to use. I mean in terms of corporate sponsorship. Opinions are fine, so long as they really are opinions, rather "opinions" the blogger has because they were paid $250 to promote a product in a post ;)
That's the thing, the blogger doesn't have to promote. One company I know of in particular has postings that that user can post positive, negative, or neutral posts, depending on what the ad company wants. Let's say I get pick up one from HP. HP posts and says they want a negative post about one of their products. I do so, it gets reviewed, and I get paid. But nowhere did I promote a product. Why would a company want a negative light on one of their products? Perhaps it is an older product and they want to phase it out for the new. Maybe they want to get a feel for the market before putting out a new, similar product. Any number of things.

In the end, the blogger gets to choose what they want to put on their blog. They can choose to accept the advertisement offer or refuse it.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Like anything else, it seems, blogs are becoming driven by the opportunity to gain revenue. One way or another it seems that everything comes to that, eventually. There are plenty of folks that do blogs (or websites of any kind) because they like to. But if they are given the opportunity to make money doing something they enjoy, why would they say no?

There is a blog about blogging for pay at problogger.net that is an interesting read at times. I quit reading it a while back, but I was a regular reader for about a year. The owner has some interesting experiences to share, including a claim at being one of the first (if not the first) six-figure blogger. Meaning that he had a six-figure income just from running his blogs (yes, plural).
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “General Discussion”