To SEO or not to SEO

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Re: To SEO or not to SEO

Post by Tripp »

I think doing affiliates and targetting a specific audiance is enough to help your site grow.

Like, my site is target towards warez which draws a general crowd for it. I think a lot of people just have general type of forums to talk and socialize but they want it to grow but with no real content, it's hard.
The box said 'You need Windows XP or better' .... so I installed linux.

Formerly Drugs

Flutterbug

Post by Flutterbug »

If we're talking SEM, and not just SEO, then yes, I agree that affiliate marketing and other promotions help in boosting traffic, but, if you SEO a website for a specific keyword or phrase (or even several keywords and phrases), you can get to the top of the SEs without any subject/catagory-specific content if the site is optimized in all the key places. For instance, whether it's general or not, making it clear in two of the template files (so that it's visible to the site visitors) what the website exists for, the search engines can and will connect a website called http://www.example.com with the search terms: presidential election debate, world news, breaking stories, middle east conflict, forum, debate forum, world issues, or whatever other keywords/phrases the owner uses to describe to their organic traffic what the forum exists for.

sam_xp

Post by sam_xp »

I started another topic with the same title 3 days ago because I didn't see this one, well, its locked now because there is no need to have two topics discussing the same problem ....

From what I read here I believe that using SEO mods that change the URLs to html rather than php will not help the SEs to index my forum better , because phpbb3 treats the Search Engines bots as members and the SID system will not affect them ...

I need to get your opinion though regarding the following matter:

I install a mod that will automatically generate meta tags for every topic based on its content, I'm not sure if that will help, but I decided to give it a try, basically it adds those meta tags :

Code: Select all

<meta name="title" content="your topic title" />
<meta name="description" lang="ar" content="some few lines from the first post in the topic" />
<meta name="keywords"    content="some keywords that the mod grabbed from the topic, I changed them and made them static because they were too ambiguous" />
<meta name="category"    content="general" />
<meta name="robots"      content="index,follow" />
<meta name="distribution" content="global" />
<meta name="resource-type" content="document" />
<meta name="copyright" content="your forum name" />
well its working fine and I think it will help somehow to increase my forum ranking in google , but I'm not sure what to include in these fields :

Code: Select all

<meta name="category"    content="general" />
<meta name="distribution" content="global" />
<meta name="resource-type" content="document" />
Should I leave them as default, or should I change them to something more relevant to the content of my forum ?

And do you believe that using such a mod is useful ?

Thanks

Ddraiggoch06

Post by Ddraiggoch06 »

I don't think it's that important any more to be honest. Search engines and their spiders have improved greatly, and for example IPB, phpBB, VBulletin and SMF's forums all use standard URLs. I also find &f=4&t=32 easier to remember than look_this_is_a_reallylong_topic.html.

Ds !

Post by Ds ! »

WoW !

page rank & search engine like Google and yahoo! is very impotent if you want visitor through them

hmmm

let's say I open Google I type MOD

how's going to be the first one in the search result that mater or not :?

backlinks From/To my site or board .. links use sitemap & nofollow in the none important link will help

but until now I didn't find any good MOD in the phpBB3 make the same work as VBSEO

one of my friend will convert his form to vb because of that :cry:

if you want to have good rank you must understand what is SEO are !

I'll keep reading & writing in this important subject :ugeek:

Regard

sorry for the bad English :D

Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe »

Although I have a basic understanding of SEO, its uses and of various techniques, there is one particular aspect that I've begun to question: Page rank. When it gets down to it, is there really a point to it, and what are the true benefits? I mean, I know that it's primarily based on backlinks, but it seems that google likes to play around with the rules. They've been showing less and less mercy towards selling links on websites (unless displayed through their own ads), often times penalizing sites for such actions, lowering their pagerank significantly. I've also seen random fluctuations in PR with sites that just didn't seem to relate at all in terms of true popularity, which has brought me to question what really makes up page rank. Not only that, I don't really understand the point of PR. What is PR really for? How can it really benefit webmasters?

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

As I understand it PR is just a rank for overall in the grand scheme of things. If your page is about Blue widgets, your site is about blue widgets and you have a lot incoming links from blue widget sites even if your page has a low PR rank its still going to rank high in the SERP's for that result because you have a high relevancy for Blue Widgets. If a site about green widgets puts a page up and can confer a high PR to that page because they have a lot of link juice from other pages with high PR it doesn't necessarily mean they will rank above you because overall the relevancy for their pages is not blue widgets.

Where it does come into play as I understand it is if you have two competing pages for blue widgets and they both have the same relevancy. ;)

Ds !

Post by Ds ! »

High page rank give you the Priority to be indexing first and be in the first page and search result

example :

I have a forum special in computer software and my site page rank is 4 and add a new post with subject " what you think about vista "

other site with the same special with page rank 3 add the same post with the same subject

My site will be indexing first

that one of important of the page rank

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Actually, no. Googlebot's returns are generally based on the frequency of new content, not pagerank. Higher ranked sites, I've noticed, tend to have new content more often, though, so the correlation may be there, but it's not the cause.

Ds !

Post by Ds ! »

if all that and SEO is not very important why people is still spamming them links ? :geek:

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

It's part of it, but it's by no means the whole thing.

Ds !

Post by Ds ! »

but it is a way to make your page rank go up

Now I hope we Discuss How we can make phpBB3 very friend to the search engine

add site map , make URL html , remove SID .. ? what else ?

Realy I would like some one to provide one MOD give us what VBSEO give to the forum

Vic D'Elfant
Former Team Member

Post by Vic D'Elfant »

I have a feeling we're soon going to be running around in circles but...
Ds ! wrote:make URL html , remove SID .. ? what else ?
.html extensions are absolutely not needed, and the SID is already being removed for bots. The same questions were actually answered a couple of posts earlier.
midd.ag • DTP, web development & printing
http://www.midd.ag

Ds !

Post by Ds ! »

Hello again

if we interested in SEO more we will
* Attract more visitors
Trackbacks, Pingbacks & Refbacks encourage webnauts to link back to your forums.
Thanks Vic D'Elfant

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

As per Vic, things do seem to be going round in circles.
Most of what is being discussed has already been answered multiple times in other topics.
It may be worth doing a search of the forums before posting.
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

Return to “General Discussion”