United States Gunlaw(s)

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Re: United States Gunlaw(s)

Post by Techie-Micheal » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:47 pm

Liquinn wrote:I think in the UK, guns are banned, end of story, I think Replica's are fine, but I'm not sure, In the US, they don't mind, the criminals, could get a gun(s) (in the US), and then do a bank robbery, then that's a problem, it's the license which makes it legal, however there are things to get a license in the US.
Except using a firearm for the commission of a felony only makes your life worse when you get caught. Jim is right, it isn't the people that obey the law and have guns that are the problem, it is the criminals that are the problem. Heck, it is possible to make a gun out of an ink pen. Banning guns isn't going to stop that.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Liquinn

Post by Liquinn » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:48 pm

Techie-Micheal wrote:
Liquinn wrote:I think in the UK, guns are banned, end of story, I think Replica's are fine, but I'm not sure, In the US, they don't mind, the criminals, could get a gun(s) (in the US), and then do a bank robbery, then that's a problem, it's the license which makes it legal, however there are things to get a license in the US.
Except using a firearm for the commission of a felony only makes your life worse when you get caught. Jim is right, it isn't the people that obey the law and have guns that are the problem, it is the criminals that are the problem. Heck, it is possible to make a gun out of an ink pen. Banning guns isn't going to stop that.
Damn right. It's the criminals that still have access to the bad stuff, like drugs, they'll still have access to the guns somehow. I think it's a shame, but it's the truth of life, up to them if they want to risk themselves, if they get caught, then it's there loss.
Going to spain again on the 17th to the 24th of August 2008 after I leave school, so probably won't be around as much during that one week period.

xjy

Post by xjy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:48 pm

If guns cause murder, then matches cause arson.

While the laws may not be perfect now, the focus of any potential change shouldn't be pointed at the guns but rather at the people who use them.

Scizz

Post by Scizz » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:36 pm

The gunlaw's been changed won't change anything; yet, the criminals need to be put behind bars, so they know what they are doing wrong.

The Awesomest Dude

Post by The Awesomest Dude » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:48 pm

If guns were outlawed, only outlaws would have guns. ;)

Techie-Micheal wrote:Then the burden is on the parents to a) teach their children about firearms and b) lock the firearms away.
Yes, especially #a.

If ANYBODY (of any age) wants ANYTHING bad enough, they WILL get it. Period. There is nothing that anybody can do about that fact.

Children should be EDUCATED about things like not to play with guns, matches, pills, the stove, etc., and WHY they should not do so. (What will happen if they do.) Parents should be doing that. (If any chooses not to, I'm sure there are some nice FOSTER PARENTS who can and will. ;)) Schools do have a little responsibility also (in all due fairness), however the primary responsibility does indeed fall solely upon the parents.

Locking the gun away is not a bad idea either. As long as they keep in mind that that child is probably smarter than they are, and can most likely get into that gun cabinet if they want to bad enough. (They can get a book or go to a Website, without anybody knowing they had done so!)

Absolutely nothing can take the place of parents educating children of the REASONS they should not do certain things, from as early age as possible. Absolutely nothing.
I will gladly help anybody with any PhpBB Modifications that I have used. (My board can be accessed by clicking here. You are also welcome to post there any time you like.)
PhpBB helped me when I needed it and I would be glad to give something back to the community.

Scizz

Post by Scizz » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:52 pm

With the gun's 'banned', the shootings will go down alot.

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:58 pm

Scizz wrote:With the gun's 'banned', the shootings will go down alot.
The authorities have virtually banned the possession of firearms (except shotguns) in the UK and firearms crime has gone up.
They have also outlawed the ownership of semi auto or pump action shotguns.

Legal ownership of guns does not increase gun crime. It is the illegal ownership by criminals that does.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

Liquinn

Post by Liquinn » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:04 pm

Jim_UK wrote:
Scizz wrote:With the gun's 'banned', the shootings will go down alot.
The authorities have virtually banned the possession of firearms (except shotguns) in the UK and firearms crime has gone up.
They have also outlawed the ownership of semi auto or pump action shotguns.

Legal ownership of guns does not increase gun crime. It is the illegal ownership by criminals that does.

Jim
Suppose you're right Jim, Look at what the criminals are doing with drugs, dealing, that's there 'job' I suppose.
Going to spain again on the 17th to the 24th of August 2008 after I leave school, so probably won't be around as much during that one week period.

Scizz

Post by Scizz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:18 pm

Let's hope oneday the laws change, in America anyway!

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:26 pm

Scizz wrote:Let's hope oneday the laws change, in America anyway!
Why?
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Scizz

Post by Scizz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:28 pm

Techie-Micheal wrote:
Why?
To reduce crime, and access to guns.

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Scizz wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:
Why?
But if you use the evidence that the UK already has and I have outlined it makes no difference. I am not of course trying to say that banning guns has made gun crime go up in the UK as that would be absurd.
What I am saying is that despite the banning of legally held guns the use of guns in crime has continued to rise.
I doubt very much if:-
a) a ban in the USA could be properly policed
b) whether it would make one iota of difference to gun crime.

What could influence the gun crime is already a topic for discussion in this same forum. ;)

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

Scizz

Post by Scizz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:39 pm

Jim_UK wrote:
Scizz wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:
Why?
But if you use the evidence that the UK already has and I have outlined it makes no difference. I am not of course trying to say that banning guns has made gun crime go up in the UK as that would be absurd.
What I am saying is that despite the banning of legally held guns the use of guns in crime has continued to rise.
I doubt very much if:-
a) a ban in the USA could be properly policed
b) whether it would make one iota of difference to gun crime.

What could influence the gun crime is already a topic for discussion in this same forum. ;)

Jim
Yes, they won't ban guns, unless the next Presidant does, and it needs to be voted on.

Rokkstar

Post by Rokkstar » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:43 pm

Since you're able to use a gun no matter what your age you would probably see more deaths, because it's easier to rob banks and stuff easier.
I'm a webdeveloper, just PM me with what kind of site design you want, and depending on how much I have to put into it I can give it to you reasonably. I'm in love with the ".bmp" extension. So if you don't want your images like that then don't hire me.

Scizz

Post by Scizz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:44 pm

Rokkstar wrote:Since you're able to use a gun no matter what your age you would probably see more deaths, because it's easier to rob banks and stuff easier.
How would you buy a gun at 10 year olds? Unless you mean they can steal a gun from there parents'

Return to “General Discussion”