United States Gunlaw(s)

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Rokkstar

Re: United States Gunlaw(s)

Post by Rokkstar » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:52 pm

I never said you could buy a gun at ten years old and you can use a gun no matter what you're age against the law or not. Whether you kill somebody by accident or not. Man made gun. Guns increase death. Death loses monetary substances for the man and that's that. I'm sure the man doesn't want that.
I'm a webdeveloper, just PM me with what kind of site design you want, and depending on how much I have to put into it I can give it to you reasonably. I'm in love with the ".bmp" extension. So if you don't want your images like that then don't hire me.

Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:41 pm

It's a simple economic answer. You ban something, for good or bad, you create a black market for it which drives crime. Take for example the prohibition of alcohol in the United States. When alcohol was banned, people like Al Capone were manufactoring and distributing it illegally. Well obviously, if it had still been legal, he wouldn't have had that business. If if he hadn't have had that business, less crime would have been comitted.

When governments try to ban things like guns, it drives the criminal underworld. When something becomes illegal, it gives criminals business. Now they can sell it for high prices and make money.
The box said 'You need Windows XP or better' .... so I installed linux.

Formerly Drugs

Liquinn

Post by Liquinn » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:07 pm

Yup, agree. Bannings only stop people from buying the shops, people would still get them :<
/me hopes you all understand what I'm trying to say~
Going to spain again on the 17th to the 24th of August 2008 after I leave school, so probably won't be around as much during that one week period.

Scizz

Post by Scizz » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:11 pm

The criminals could also get more of a high of using them if they are banned.

Tripp
Former Team Member

Post by Tripp » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:05 pm

Yes, that's also a good point. I'm 18 so I was just in high school so let me make a point.

There were a lot of kids of smoked weed or just brought it to school because it's illegal. Simple as that. Where as, if it was legal, they wouldn't care.

It's something with some people that think when they do something illegal, it makes them feel cool, good, alive or something.

Formerly Drugs

onomoney
Name: Brad West

Post by onomoney » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:26 pm

Drugs wrote:It's a simple economic answer. You ban something, for good or bad, you create a black market for it which drives crime. Take for example the prohibition of alcohol in the United States. When alcohol was banned, people like Al Capone were manufacturing and distributing it illegally. Well obviously, if it had still been legal, he wouldn't have had that business. If if he hadn't have had that business, less crime would have been omitted.

When governments try to ban things like guns, it drives the criminal underworld. When something becomes illegal, it gives criminals business. Now they can sell it for high prices and make money.
I have read this whole thread from the beginning, I have seen the UK and the US side of this discussion. I can say I don't know for sure the whole story about prohibiting guns in the UK but to me that seems a bit extreme to me.
I am an avid gun owner, I bought my first gun when I was 13 years old. I hunted small game mostly, almost everyday after school. But in those days you could walk around in public with a gun and no one freaked out on you.

Right now I can't remember the specific year but in the mid 90s there was a law put into effect that put a halt on the importation and sale of assault weapons. This action just forced the increase of importation and sales of assault weapons until the date the law went into effect. I know this first hand because I was one of them that had to have the threatened weapons. Now I don't know what AI will do with them but they are fun to go out and shoot once in a while.

from my understanding at this point in my life, if they prohibited the ownership of guns in the us. They would come take all my guns that I have papers for, that I legally own and act responsably with. But the people that have weapons including hand grenades, rocket launchers, and truly destructive toys would be left alone. there are literately millions and millions of weapons that are unregistered in the us for one reason or another. But there is no way that there could be an effective law against the ownership of guns here.

Sorry if I lumped in the middle of this and got carried away a little but to take the guns away from the law abiding people would be complete insanity here.
Any man can make mistakes, but
only an idiot persists in his errors

Ginger Roots Media
Off The Jacks

Liquinn

Post by Liquinn » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:37 pm

Quite a good argument, yes.
Dunblane, I beleive that tightened up the gun laws in the UK, I'll need to find out if that was why the guns were banned in the UK, but, shootings in the US, continue.
Lives could be saved without guns, I guess.
Going to spain again on the 17th to the 24th of August 2008 after I leave school, so probably won't be around as much during that one week period.

The Awesomest Dude

Post by The Awesomest Dude » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:42 am

Liquinn wrote:Yup, agree. Bannings only stop people from buying the shops, people would still get them :<
/me hopes you all understand what I'm trying to say~
Drugs wrote:It's a simple economic answer. You ban something, for good or bad, you create a black market for it which drives crime. Take for example the prohibition of alcohol in the United States. When alcohol was banned, people like Al Capone were manufactoring and distributing it illegally. Well obviously, if it had still been legal, he wouldn't have had that business. If if he hadn't have had that business, less crime would have been comitted.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :) Both of you. Great comments. There is one thing I must add:

To the best of my knowledge, there is absolutely no way to stop the criminals from getting guns. No way whatsoever, that I am aware of. If the criminal wants the gun, they WILL get it. Like somebody way back on this thread said, you can make a gun yourself!

So what happens when the BAD GUYS have all the guns they want, but the GOOD GUYS don't have no guns? What happens then? ;)

That's the main thing. Is that the Government is POWERLESS to stop CRIMINALS from getting guns. If they were able to do that, they would have done so long ago, wouldn't they? ;)

But taking away the rights of good people, that's just wrong, isn't it? (Especially when it will have little or no effect on what the bad people do.) That's the main thing, about this, is that they are going about it the wrong way. In fact you would likely reduce crime by giving people guns and TEACHING them how to (and how not to) use them.

When I was about 14, I took a Hunter Safety Course, that I had to have to get my Hunting License. I learned plenty from that. And I think that if everybody (everybody who wanted to participate of course) was required to take that course, or one similar, and then get a gun to defend themself with, I really, really think that crime would go down.

I think it would anyway. What do you all think? Wouldn't that make criminals less likely to attack somebody? What do you all think? Think about it, really good, everybody. And somebody tell me if I'm wrong about that. (And "why" of course.)
I will gladly help anybody with any PhpBB Modifications that I have used. (My board can be accessed by clicking here. You are also welcome to post there any time you like.)
PhpBB helped me when I needed it and I would be glad to give something back to the community.

Tripp
Former Team Member

Post by Tripp » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:34 am

Yeah, I used to have an unregistered .38 but never used it... When I speak, I can personally speak on behalf of the criminal underworld as I was once part of it.

Had a friend about a year ago ask me if I wanted to buy a handgun for like $100 or some crap. I dunno, I just know it was extremely cheap. So basically, I could snap my fingers and have a gun 10 times faster and easier then a legal gun. Mighr be more expensive but it's unregistered and can't be traced.

In the end, I'm just proving my point from personal experience that is really easy for criminals in the US to get guns.

Now, this starts to touch on another subject but let me bring up a news story I saw on Fox back in like March-April. M-16's or whatever the army uses were being shipped to Iraq for our troops and somewhere along the line or another they lost about 50,000 guns I think. Now, I want to know where all these guns just "disappeared" too. Just a little FYI....

Formerly Drugs

Liquinn

Post by Liquinn » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:55 pm

I'm sure some people will call this bumping.

I agree with the two people above. The unregistered guns can't be traced, but I beleive, if you buy a gun, you don't have to register it. Just if they do ban the guns then the criminals will make more money, as someone above said.

Sorry for making alot of comments, I feel like I should take part in this discussion.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:33 pm

Liquinn wrote:I'm sure some people will call this bumping.

I agree with the two people above. The unregistered guns can't be traced, but I beleive, if you buy a gun, you don't have to register it. Just if they do ban the guns then the criminals will make more money, as someone above said.

Sorry for making alot of comments, I feel like I should take part in this discussion.
Well, aside from the fact that in the US you are required to register a gun (of course, that says nothing for the criminal element as Drugs put it), but if you do register it, you are required to report if it gets stolen or missing. Otherwise you could get charged with armed robbery, or worse, murder. So what's the point of registering? If you don't register it and you get caught with the weapon on you, well, you get in to some serious trouble just for possession. Then if the gun gets traced to say a murder ... Well, that's some serious explaining you have to do whereas if it was registered, and you reported it stolen, you can more or less be in the clear.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Tripp
Former Team Member

Post by Tripp » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:58 pm

Well, with an unregisted gun, it can't be traced as I said. So, say you commit a murder and throw the gun in a lake/river. It will more then likely wash up on shore or someone finding it soon or later. If the gun is turned into the the authorities and know of a unsolved murder where the victim was murdered by a bullet of that caliber gun. Well, if it's unregistered they have nothing. There's no where to trace it to and being in the river/lake would most likely wash away any fingerprints, fibers or any type of forensic evidence. Whereas, if it's registered it can be traced. Now the reason I say this is because if it's registered, even if you did report it stolen/missing, it's still going to be traced back to you. Then, they woud probably investigate them. Just because a person reports it stolen/missing doesn't mean that's true. They might actually have something to do with the murder.

Formerly Drugs

Liquinn

Post by Liquinn » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:34 pm

Understand the point(s) made above.

In the UK, I'd get done for having even a replica, however that's a different board game~

Liquinn.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:35 pm

Drugs wrote:Then, they woud probably investigate them. Just because a person reports it stolen/missing doesn't mean that's true. They might actually have something to do with the murder.
Certainly, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise, though re-reading what I wrote, I see I didn't finish. What I was trying to get after was that those who are upstanding citizens and don't commit crimes are less likely to have issues with the law when they follow the laws, such as registering their firearms. I really don't think we should be advocating not registering your firearm, which is what you seem to be doing. ;)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Tripp
Former Team Member

Post by Tripp » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:20 pm

Ok ok, we've completed each other's thoughts. :D

Formerly Drugs

Return to “General Discussion”