MacBook Air

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
chainprayer

MacBook Air

Post by chainprayer »

Looking at the macbook air that was just announced today. It's cool, but is it worth the price? I'm trying to decide.... What do you think?
Anon
Former Team Member

Re: MacBook Air

Post by Anon »

It certainly does look interesting, but the specifications are... underwhelming. While the novelty value of a laptop would be good, I can't see myself buying one as a next laptop
xjy

Post by xjy »

Let's see... no swappable battery, no optical drive, one USB port. $1800 base price.

Uh. No.
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

The battery is replaceable for $180 and an external optical drive is available. It's geared at portability, and if you need that it will do it well.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

That one USB port is a good point though. With no optical drive, i'm sure they could have put in another two or three. The main selling point is portability, and I certainly don't want to have to get a USB hub to be able to use ethernet and a mouse at the same time
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

If it were half that price I'd probably get it but it's way too expensive for me. I think it serves its niche (ultra portable Asus Eee killer?) well and probably will redefine the ultraportable, but it's not for power users like myself with just one USB port and no optical drive. Good grief, even my PS2 and Xbox 360 have more USB ports than a real computer! :lol:
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Anon wrote:...and I certainly don't want to have to get a USB hub to be able to use ethernet and a mouse at the same time
Ethernet is wireless. Mouse is built-in, and with some new tricks to boot. You can use a two-finger action (like on the iPhone) to grab and resize stuff. If you wanted an external mouse I guess you could get one. As others have said, it's supposed to be the 'ultra' portable, with everything you need and nothing you don't. And it has a full-sized screen and keyboard, so no scrimping there.

Be honest... how many times have you actually replaced a laptop battery? I never have. Batteries are good for two-three years and by then I have probably upgraded anyway.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

drathbun wrote:
Anon wrote:...and I certainly don't want to have to get a USB hub to be able to use ethernet and a mouse at the same time
Ethernet is wireless. Mouse is built-in, and with some new tricks to boot. You can use a two-finger action (like on the iPhone) to grab and resize stuff. If you wanted an external mouse I guess you could get one. As others have said, it's supposed to be the 'ultra' portable, with everything you need and nothing you don't. And it has a full-sized screen and keyboard, so no scrimping there.

Be honest... how many times have you actually replaced a laptop battery? I never have. Batteries are good for two-three years and by then I have probably upgraded anyway.
I know, I meant wired ethernet. And I dislike trackpads :P
Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil »

In which case, it becomes obvious that you are not the demographic that the Macbook Air is geared towards. While I'm far from agreeing it is a good move, it is aimed at a specific demographic and has multiple drawbacks if you aren't part of it -- someone who wants just what they need and the ability to use it anytime, anywhere.
bbrian017

Post by bbrian017 »

I think it's great too bad Mac computers are crappy and not used by like 80% of the worlds population!
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

They are crappy? And you're a Vista user? :shock:
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Anon wrote:
drathbun wrote:

I know, I meant wired ethernet. And I dislike trackpads :P
Uhm, the definition of ethernet is wired, not wireless. Check out 802.3.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil »

bbrian017 wrote:I think it's great too bad Mac computers are crappy and not used by like 80% of the worlds population!
It all depends on what you need.

Return to “General Discussion”