Safari Browser's website.

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Safari Browser's website.

Post by jaunty_mellifluous »

If you've visited their website before, you'll know they say they have the fastest browser on the planet. Showing through a bar graph how slow browsers like Opera, Internet Explorer and Firefox are in comparison to Safari. Even if that's true, isn't that rude?
Stay Cool!

darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Re: Safari Browser's website.

Post by darcie »

How is it rude? Every company tends to list the features and benefits of their product in their marketing. If a feature of Safari is that it runs faster than other browsers, Apple's definitely going to talk about that point. Car companies will say in their TV spots how their car is more fuel efficient, has better handling than X competitor's comparable model. This is basically the same thing.
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

As for if that's true, it's been repeatedly proven that Webkit is much, much faster than Gecko and Trident (Opera's rendering engine as well, though I've no clue what it is called). If you really want to, install Safari for Windows (I'm assuming you're on a Windows box) and grab one of the nightlies of webkit and see for yourself.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

jaunty_mellifluous

I've tried Safari on windows. It's good. Not that I don't like it. I actually tend to think it's faster than other browsers too. You'll find the difference on mainly javascript based websites. But I just thought it was a little rude to say that on their main page.
Stay Cool!

DanielDWallace

Post by DanielDWallace »

I have mixed emotions about Safari. I like that layout much better than Firefox or other mac based browsers. It also does seem faster, but it also seems to be more 'buggy' than other browsers. Mine crashes way too often. I've checked for viruses and even reset it, but it does seem like a Corvette that breaks down evry third mile...oh wait, I think they call those Mustangs. ;-)

jaunty_mellifluous

Yep; it's in BETA version (for windows) so supposed to have some bugs.
Stay Cool!

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

DanielDWallace wrote:I have mixed emotions about Safari. I like that layout much better than Firefox or other mac based browsers. It also does seem faster, but it also seems to be more 'buggy' than other browsers. Mine crashes way too often. I've checked for viruses and even reset it, but it does seem like a Corvette that breaks down evry third mile...oh wait, I think they call those Mustangs. ;-)
Safari crashes on Mac reasonably often for me too. I think it doesn't like AJAX, that's when it's at its worst.
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

battye wrote:
DanielDWallace wrote:I have mixed emotions about Safari. I like that layout much better than Firefox or other mac based browsers. It also does seem faster, but it also seems to be more 'buggy' than other browsers. Mine crashes way too often. I've checked for viruses and even reset it, but it does seem like a Corvette that breaks down evry third mile...oh wait, I think they call those Mustangs. ;-)
Safari crashes on Mac reasonably often for me too. I think it doesn't like AJAX, that's when it's at its worst.
The Javascript support in the WebKit build that the current version of Safari uses is quite slow and hangs frequently. It's much better in the current WebKit nightly.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Jephth
Location: The Roots Of Coincidence, or otherwise known as, Pat Metheny's brain

Post by Jephth »

I don't find Safari any faster than FireFox.

What is more, Safari doesn't even have a drop down in the address line to visit previous pages.
Jephth

chainreaction2009

Post by chainreaction2009 »

I really like Safari it's a simple browser that I enjoy using on the Macs at my education institution. However when it comes to Safari for Windows , I'm testing the beta at the moment and putting it up to some abuse.. yeah it doesn't handle well since it is a beta at the moment. :lol: I'd rather stick to Firefox on Windows, and have Safari for the Mac.
Leaving New York never easy R.E.M

Return to “General Discussion”