websites that build for one browser

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
A_O_C

websites that build for one browser

Post by A_O_C » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:13 am

there have been numerous times that ive tried connect to phpbb.com with FF and the page would time out. however, at the same time, i can connect fine with IE. this isnt the only site that does this. (im sorry, i dont have a list right now) there are numerous other sites, however, that will take it a step further. i can connect to the site, but instead of seeing the content i expect to see, i see a white page with something like "you are using IE. take back the web with FF". its really annoying. why is it that i must use one browser over another just because companies/groups dont feel like supporting the majority? your thoughts?

P.S. this is in no way a bashing of phpbb.com, just commenting on what happens 1 out of 100 times trying to connect using FF. ;)

Double_J
Former Team Member

Re: websites that build for one browser

Post by Double_J » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:08 am

A_O_C wrote:there have been numerous times that ive tried connect to phpbb.com with FF and the page would time out. however, at the same time, i can connect fine with IE. this isnt the only site that does this. (im sorry, i dont have a list right now) there are numerous other sites, however, that will take it a step further. i can connect to the site, but instead of seeing the content i expect to see, i see a white page with something like "you are using IE. take back the web with FF". its really annoying. why is it that i must use one browser over another just because companies/groups dont feel like supporting the majority? your thoughts?

P.S. this is in no way a bashing of phpbb.com, just commenting on what happens 1 out of 100 times trying to connect using FF. ;)
I think this really depends on the site.
For example, if a personal website(blog or something) tells you that you should use FF or Opera or something, than that is something personal and fits in the context of a personal site.

However when you have a website which dedicates to a larger group of users, you should not use these kind of methods, the only thing which I think would fit there is some kind of notice in the footer, that the site would not function in optimal conditions in certain browsers, but you should never force users to use another browser and deny access to a site.

Making some things crossbrowser compatible is hard, but that should not be a reason to deny access with 'use browser X' kind of messages, the only thing then should be a small note in the footer, which tells the user that the site performs better in a certain browser.

JJ

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:52 pm

i designed my website for Firefox 2 and it works with almost everything but IE perfectly. I don't see why people will want to make a website work for the majority of browsers and one that is used by the majority of the people (IE). I can't be bothered with Micosofts IE and want to develop for browsers I like.

As for messages to switch to firefox, people have a fair point.

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:23 pm

A_O_C: Occassionally I get those pages on IE, I believe it's related to the load on the site, not your browser.

As for authors only desiging one way, I think it's a bit of a cop out so the author doesn't have to do extra work. Designing for Internet Explorer might be a nuisance for some, but they do have the largest percentage of the internet browsers, so you have to think about what percentage of your visiters you are pushing away. A friend wanted me to look at his site and and it came up with a popup about using firefox, and redirected me to the firefox website, making it impossible to view his site. I tweaked a few settings and showed him I could view his site in IE regardless. Had that been some other site, I would have just stopped there and not come back to it, but since it was my friend I convinced him to take the redirect away. With IE8 coming out, it should help designing for one standard, although you will still need to consider IE7 and IE6 while designing your sites.

I don't mind seeing little messages at the bottom of the screen saying this site is best viewed in <insert browser> at resoltuion <insert resolution>. Those usually come from the designers trying to get it working and can't find a decent solution. However, completely denying access is a bit beyond the designer's right. It's not their place to dictate what browser you should use, as some people do not have a choice (ie. the workplace).
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:42 pm

A_O_C wrote:there have been numerous times that ive tried connect to phpbb.com with FF and the page would time out. however, at the same time, i can connect fine with IE. this isnt the only site that does this. (im sorry, i dont have a list right now) there are numerous other sites, however, that will take it a step further. i can connect to the site, but instead of seeing the content i expect to see, i see a white page with something like "you are using IE. take back the web with FF". its really annoying. why is it that i must use one browser over another just because companies/groups dont feel like supporting the majority? your thoughts?

Uhm ... phpBB.com works just fine with Firefox. Heck, that's all I use. Sounds like a problem with your computer.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:41 pm

Techie-Micheal wrote:Uhm ... phpBB.com works just fine with Firefox. Heck, that's all I use. Sounds like a problem with your computer.
i doubt it, as this is a newly formatted PC. anyway, i have to agree with this comment...
Noxwizard wrote:related to the load on the site, not your browser.
:D

also, like some of you had said, i dont mind if a developer puts a "THIS SITE IS BEST VIEWED WITH xxx-browser AT xxx-resolution", thats thier right. the problem is when they just completely hack off all other browsers except for the one they perfer, and then turn around and deny you access to their site untill you install xxx-browser. i do my best to make sure my site operates in the 4 most popular browsers out ther (IE, FF, SAFARI, OPERA). its really not a hard concept. :(

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:18 pm

A_O_C wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:Uhm ... phpBB.com works just fine with Firefox. Heck, that's all I use. Sounds like a problem with your computer.
i doubt it, as this is a newly formatted PC.
Doesn't mean it isn't a problem with your PC. And it certainly doesn't mean it is a problem with phpBB.com. Heck, I'd venture to say 95% of the phpBB Team uses Firefox as their primary browser ...
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Pond Life

Post by Pond Life » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:16 am

I use Firefox and Opera mostly but check with IE6, IE7 and Safari when developing my site. The forum works fine on all except for a small glitch with the extra smileys window on IE6 (it's fine on IE7). I don't like IE (understatement) but it's still the most popular browser and to ignore it when developing a site is daft in my opinion. A site should be accessible to everyone who wants to use it.
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:22 am

If it helps, that happens to me too. In my case at least, it's because my high speed connection isn't.

As for blocking certain browsers, it's definitely bad practise. i can't imagine it'd be effective either - rather than changing browsers people would just not browse the site. I certainly wouldn't browse a site if it meant having to switch to another browser

Noyb

Post by Noyb » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:24 pm

IE and FF use two different rendering engines (IE uses Trident, FF uses Gecko). I guess some sites are just designed to work with one of those two rendering engines. IMO, it's just dumb to design a website to only work with FF or IE. :roll:

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:45 pm

I feel HTML/CSS/Javascript ect should work the same on all browsers. I'd like a stricter method of rendering these codes. Why should one browser render different from the other? The W3C look after these web standards, correct?

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:50 am

god0fgod wrote:I feel HTML/CSS/Javascript ect should work the same on all browsers.
I totally agree. Sadly, anybody with programming knowledge can build a web browser and promote it, which leads me to my next comment...

god0fgod wrote:I'd like a stricter method of rendering these codes. Why should one browser render different from the other? The W3C look after these web standards, correct?
I believe you are correct, but whos to stop "joe-schmo" from down the street to NOT follow these standards?

jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Post by jaunty_mellifluous » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:13 pm

Yep; pretty annoying having to code for every browser!
Stay Cool!

jazzking2001

Post by jazzking2001 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:15 pm

if you are lucky you will find codes that work in most browsers lol
Neocrisis.com- What will you find next

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:25 am

I'm not going to bother with centering the body of a webpage in IE7 downwards. It's such a nussiance. I'm keeping to the W3C way.

Return to “General Discussion”