websites that build for one browser

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Re: websites that build for one browser

Post by drathbun » Fri May 02, 2008 1:39 am

And that link doesn't work if you don't allow cookies, yet another bad web site decision. :)

Here's a decent read that echos some of what I and others have been saying:

http://www.hyperborea.org/journal/archi ... cking-ie6/
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

SneakySimian

Post by SneakySimian » Fri May 02, 2008 2:33 pm

drathbun wrote:
And that link doesn't work if you don't allow cookies, yet another bad web site decision. :)
That's not cool.
Here's a decent read that echos some of what I and others have been saying:

http://www.hyperborea.org/journal/archi ... cking-ie6/
I'm not saying people should run out and outright block browsers, but rather that there is a time when enough is enough. On the PayPal issue itself, I think PayPal is getting ahead of themselves, but it is interesting.

McDLT

Post by McDLT » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:16 pm

I know of a network of sites that only design for one browser. The other sites work fine in FF but the main site only views properly in IE and the webmaster refuses to code for other browsers. He says the majority of the people who view his site use IE. Of course they do, they can't view it any other way. It really frustrates me. I know it takes more time, but if you want people to view your site then at the least try to make it work in the 2 more popular browsers. --end of rant--

As an aside, I've taught my children from a young age (now ages 8 & 6) how to use FF and IE. They have to use IE at school. I let them choose what one they liked and they prefer FF, so that is the main one they use on their computer, but they know if they have difficulty viewing a site to try it in IE.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:16 am

McDLT wrote:. I let them choose what one they liked and they prefer FF,.
I'm sure the cool looking cartoonish fox doesn't have anything to with that. :P Gee kids, which box of cereal do you want the Frankeberries or quaker oats. :lol:

deRusett

Post by deRusett » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:31 am

I appologies for not reading more then the first page.

IE lets you be a sloppy coder, where as FF does not, I never worry about Opera or Safari. but if you code for FF, IE should work, but if you code purely for IE, FF wont necessarily work. IE was the first to support XMLHttpRequest, which is the basis for AJAX or Web2.0 my first drag and drop application in a browser only could work with IE, it gives reason to use IE over firefox for intranet development. I love firefox, I have gotten in quite a bit of trouble at work using it. But that said I can see why some people develop only for IE, it allows for sloppier code, and more features are supported in IE than in W3C compliant browsers/

phpDummie

Post by phpDummie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:44 am

Somebody brief us on FireFox3 compliance, please.
Do we have to design for to versions of Fox just like we do for two versions of IE?

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:47 am

No, Firefox is more or less standards compliant. Any standards compliant code (and much that isn't) should work just fine.

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:33 pm

phpDummie wrote:Somebody brief us on FireFox3 compliance, please.
Do we have to design for to versions of Fox just like we do for two versions of IE?
Firefox 3 renders pages better. It doesn't screw up when I mix transparency, a resizeable background and plug-ins together.

Return to “General Discussion”