websites that build for one browser

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: websites that build for one browser

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the problem is that some of the browsers ( IE mainly. ) are not W3C compliant.

maybe if enough people would stop designing for those non compliant browsers, maybe they would lose enough market share to get with the program.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

I don't think that would work. I personally leave a site when my browser doesn't render it correctly instead of changing browser.
And sins every one wants as many visitors as possible, it really is a no go to stop supporting browsers like IE.
How much I like the idea :lol:
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

I recently (literally about 20 seconds ago) clicked a link in someone's signature here on this board that looked interesting. Instead of seeing page content I was greeted with a message along the lines of "I'm sorry, you're using Internet Explorer, so you can't view this site." In my opinion, that is just stupid. Not only that, it makes me angry.

I realize it's each webmaster's decision what to support. But if I had been a paying customer with cash in hand, that site not only lost this sale but any possibility of a future sale. I will never click any links from this person again. :)

Just something to think about before you go nuts about banning browsers or criticizing your customer's choice while putting together a site. If you can't make it work, fine, deal with the consequences. But putting up a nag screen telling me to change my browser is like telling me you won't sell me gasoline because I drive a Dodge instead of a Ford. It's not a problem for me, there are plenty of people out there that will sell me gasoline.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

What arrogance, trying to dictate what software your visitors should use. Why bother to make a website at all if you're going nag and alienate the majority of people who try to visit it? I find IE annoying and I've sworn at it many times but there is always a solution of some sort to make the site accessible to all.
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

drathbun wrote:I recently (literally about 20 seconds ago) clicked a link in someone's signature here on this board that looked interesting. Instead of seeing page content I was greeted with a message along the lines of "I'm sorry, you're using Internet Explorer, so you can't view this site." In my opinion, that is just stupid. Not only that, it makes me angry.
If it is my website, I do allow you to continue. It only shows a warning at first that says IE is not compatible with my website and it is recommended you download another browser to continue. I'll keep this warning for IE versions that do not work. Apparently IE8 works fine so the warning isn't shown.
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:maybe if enough people would stop designing for those non compliant browsers, maybe they would lose enough market share to get with the program.
While in idea that may seem the thing to do, in practice it wouldn't work at all. While it may be an okay thing to do for your personal site, try making that suggestion to the board of directors of a multi-billion dollar company, aka, telling them a that over 80% of visitors wouldn't be able to see the company's website.

IE8 hopefully will fix most of the problems web designers face. However, it's not going to be an overnight fix. Almost a year after IE7 became a mandatory update over Windows Update, I still see countless computers which are still running IE6, and even worse, Service Pack 1.

People are clueless when it comes to this stuff. Only time will fix the horrible problem that IE has brought upon us...and thankfully Microsoft, or at least the IE team, is finally trying to do something respectable about it.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

IE8 is an improvement. I doubt we'll ever see Microsoft turn around as a whole. People just need to realise that Microsoft isn't the only company that exists (exaggerated).
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

god0fgod wrote:I'm not going to bother with centering the body of a webpage in IE7 downwards. It's such a nussiance. I'm keeping to the W3C way.

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<body>
<div style="width: 800px; margin:auto; background:#FF0000"> test</div>
</body>
</html>
! make sure you're using proper doctype and syntax for doctype !

This will also work with:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
as should any XHTML doctype, works in IE 7 didn't test in ie6 but if I remeber correctly works fine there too. The key is having proper doctype declaration.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

I used to have transitional but then I decided to convert my website to strict and I haven't quite finished the conversion yet; an example would be my body tag.
phpDummie

Post by phpDummie »

god0fgod wrote:I feel HTML/CSS/Javascript ect should work the same on all browsers. I'd like a stricter method of rendering these codes. Why should one browser render different from the other? The W3C look after these web standards, correct?
jaunty_mellifluous wrote:Yep; pretty annoying having to code for every browser!
There is a joke that on average a Web designer spends 40% of his time trying to make it work for IE and about 10 to 15% cursing and wishing imminent demise for Microsoft and Bill Gates.
:twisted:
jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Post by jaunty_mellifluous »

phpDummie wrote:There is a joke that on average a Web designer spends 40% of his time trying to make it work for IE and about 10 to 15% cursing and wishing imminent demise for Microsoft and Bill Gates.
:twisted:
So true. lol
Stay Cool!
jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Post by jaunty_mellifluous »

Websites that are build for one browser only work on one browser. ;)
Stay Cool!
LEW21

Post by LEW21 »

IE is NOT a Internet browser. It doesn't support basic Internet standards, so it can't be called a Internet browser.

New version of phpBB3.PL will ban IE6 - somebody using so old and so bad browser just can't create good forum. I will try to make it compatible with IE7, but if it will not want to work, I will also ban it. IE8 will be supported - it IS a Internet browser.

PS. Currently in Poland Firefox 2.x is used by 35.2% of people, probably it would be ~45% when I will finish developing new site.
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

LEW21 wrote:IE is NOT a Internet browser. It doesn't support basic Internet standards, so it can't be called a Internet browser.
It can't be called a "W3C standards compliant" browser but you can still browse the internet with IE can't you? I know it's a challenge, but still. :ugeek:
LEW21

Post by LEW21 »

With IE I can't browse some valid pages, compliant to all W3C standards (like the project of new phpBB3.PL), so it's not full Internet browser; I could only call it "part of the Internet browser".

Return to “General Discussion”